PDA

View Full Version : Which episode(s) would you show to a friend to get them into Buffy / Angel

Ladyhawk
25-09-16, 11:10 PM
I recently used rabb.it to watch a video with a friend and I thought a different friend might enjoy Buffy. There are some problems, but I'll only mention the ones you might be able to help me with: 1) Netflix is showing the godawful Fox remaster, which would make a terrible impression. I also have an account at movieflix.to, but I'm concerned it won't stream fast enough for my friend. I'm not sure where the servers are based, but I think it might be overseas. 2) IMO, the first season of Buffy is not very good. I became a Buffy fan well after the series ended and I only stuck with it because it was mildly interesting and gave me something to do. I was surprised when season 2 got very, very interesting.

So, do you know of another place that streams the old 4:3 version? I would consider Hulu, but I hate the way they bombard you with commercials and I don't want to pay for more streaming services.

Which episodes would you start with to get someone interested?

Guy
25-09-16, 11:31 PM
Don't know how to help you with the streaming, but I think 'School Hard' and/or 'Halloween' could make a good first impression. They don't have a lot of spoilers because they're early in the series, and they're strong standalone episodes.
Although, 'School Hard' will spoil the anointed one, and 'Halloween' will spoil ripper-Giles... Maybe you should go with 'Fear Itself'? Or 'Earshot'? Or 'Hush'?

Alternatively, you could just have him watch episodes 1, 2, 7 & 12 of season 1 before jumping directly to season 2. The majority of season 1 is really not essential.

Stoney
26-09-16, 12:38 AM
I have no idea about the streaming I'm afraid as I always watch it on DVD. As far as episodes I'm a pureist and I do think you get the most from the series and character developments if you watch it start to finish. Any odd episodes will spoil some aspect or other and I just don't think it is worth it personally. Just promise them they'll thank you and that you'll bring the beer/crisps/popcorn/crudités/doughnuts/pizza (delete as appropriate). :biggrin1:

TimeTravellingBunny
26-09-16, 02:10 AM
Don't know how to help you with the streaming, but I think 'School Hard' and/or 'Halloween' could make a good first impression. They don't have a lot of spoilers because they're early in the series, and they're strong standalone episodes.
Although, 'School Hard' will spoil the anointed one, and 'Halloween' will spoil ripper-Giles... Maybe you should go with 'Fear Itself'? Or 'Earshot'? Or 'Hush'?

All these episodes spoil way more than the Anointed One, who is pretty unimportant. They spoil who's alive by season 3/4, who still is or isn't in Sunnydale, which new characters there are, who is in relationship with whom. I'd avoid anything post-Surprise, because of spoilers (and I wouldn't show Surprise either, it's not what you should see as introduction to the show).

You may show them a shortened season 1 with just the best/most important episodes - Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest for introduction, Angel, Prophecy Girl (Nightmares and Out of Sight, Out of Mind are optional - they're not arc heavy, but they're good, and have some insightful character moments). If they're still not hooked, some early season 2 episodes - When She Was Bad, School Hard, Halloween, Lie to Me. If they don't like BtVS at that point, what's wrong with them?

Or, if you want just one episode, I'd go with Lie to Me. That spoils that Angel is a vampire, but I'm not sure how many people are there that don't know that already by general pop culture osmosis. It's an excellent episode, one of my favorites, and the point at which I realized the show was great, and while it's character-heavy, it's not so arc tied that you wouldn't understand it if you hadn't seen anything before.

Ladyhawk
26-09-16, 06:20 PM
I was thinking of "Hush" also. It's funny, creepy and oddly artistic, but yeah, spoilers. :) I like the truncated season 1 idea.

Wallerstache
29-10-16, 05:06 AM
Hush is a classic. I would say the Zeppo. Zander episodes are usually good for Buffy starters.

buffyholic
19-12-16, 06:09 PM
Hush. You don´t need to have any backstory although I love to watch it from start to finish.

But yeah, Hush is ideal for a person to get a sense of the show and how fun and original it can be.

MikeB
20-12-16, 08:37 PM
In some ways, I don't understand the concept of needing to 'get someone into BtVS/AtS'. None of my friends in middle school, high school, and college watched either. They knew I watched, it was my favorite show, and they knew not to bother me when it was airing new episodes. Heck, since 2005 C.E. I've had and kept the Sideshow Collectibles 12 inch versions of "Graduation Day" Buffy, Vampire Spike, Human-faced Spike, and Drusilla and my close friends and my girlfriends know I have them.

To your question, I used to say "School Hard" (B 2.03) because it's essentially the second pilot of BtVS. But we view it knowing what happens before. I now contend one should say its a good TV series that gets better in BtVS S2, is great in BtVS S3, and to stop watching post-BtVS S3 if Buffy/Angel is the only reason the person likes the series.

So, tell them to start the two-part pilot: "Welcome to the Hellmouth" (B 1.01) and "The Harvest" (B 1.02).

MikeB
30-12-16, 03:22 PM
I just wanted to add that I used to have the Sideshow Collectible 12-inch version of Angel/Angelus and the 12-inch version of Faith but sold them both after the end of Season 9, as I was now disgusted by both characters and how Season 9 dealt with Angel's actions in BtVS S8 and Faith's reaction to Angel's BtVS S8 actions.

I never got a 12-inch version of Willow because I simply didn't like any of the clothing choices for them and I didn't want Vampire Willow.

Regarding the topic, Netflix has resulted in people close to me having eventually watched BtVS, most liking it, and buying the DVDs. Some have also watched AtS and Firefly and Serenity .

A few read Fray , Tales of the Slayers , and Tales of the Vampires on my recommendation--I recommended the Buffyverse and the Fireflyverse if they asked me whether it was worth watching. None had any interest in BtVS S8 and after after I told them what generally happens--they liked that Buffy wasn't actually with the Immortal. They liked that Willow was more powerful and Buffy was leading a Slayer army and had military equipment. Then they decide on their personal canon including all the 'shipper stuff.

Priceless
29-01-18, 06:23 PM
I'd start with Welcome To The Hellmouth because it's a great opener, and if people want to watch the show it's always better to start with episode 1. I definitely wouldn't show an episode past S2 because too much world/character building happens in the first two seasons, so maybe School Hard, Reptile Boy or Lie To Me, all good episodes that have great comedy but also have depth and meaning. If someone isn't hooked by then, there's no hope :p