PDA

View Full Version : Slayer Organization Nickname Poll

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 08:13 PM
This worked with getting the BHC nickname to catch on, so maybe we can simplify our references to Buffy's organization -- something to call the top-down international organization of Slayers and Other White Hats that Buffy is in charge of.

Nostalgia
19-12-07, 09:57 PM
There's some good ones on there.. but I think the most justifiable one would be Slayer, Inc. After all.. that's what the show is all about :).

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 10:00 PM
I really don't have much of an opinion between them, I just want some sort of consensus on something to call it :)

I thought HaliBuffy would be kinda popular, though :)

Anon
19-12-07, 10:25 PM
I think of them as the "New Watchers Council" or the Council for short.

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 10:46 PM
Slayto? (like Nato)

Also thinking around the Camelot territory. Buffy as JFK...?

I kinda like that it has no name. Reminds me of Restless: the "She's not all grown yet" exchange about the kitty. Also, harder for an organisation with no name and no ranks to be co-opted by the man. :D And to be top sekrit.

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 10:48 PM
So you're saying that the first rule of Slay Club is that you do not talk about about Slay Club? What's the second rule, then?

You're going to have a hard time convincing the transcriptionist that it's better not having a name for the thing, btw ;) Kinda like telling a cartographer that its better if the countries of Western Europe have no names.

Koos
19-12-07, 10:50 PM
The Slayer Machine!

modifiedblind
19-12-07, 10:56 PM
Btw, what does BHC stand for? is it big honkin castle? haha, it came to me as I was writing the question but just to be sure am I right?

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:02 PM
So you're saying that the first rule of Slay Club is that you do not talk about about Slay Club? What's the second rule, then?

You're going to have a hard time convincing the transcriptionist that it's better not having a name for the thing, btw ;) Kinda like telling a cartographer that its better if the countries of Western Europe have no names.

Ok then. Like the M- P- sketch about Australians...let's call everyone Bruce to make it simpler. Or Bob. Bob is a good name. :)

Seriously though, other potential names...hmm, some reference to the British location? Slay UK?

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it's Big Honkin' Castle. I came up to it as an homage to Riley's line in "Buffy vs. Dracula". I also take credit for coining 'hellnostril', which, since I started saying that months ago on BuffyWorld, makes me think Joss really does read message boards.

I can't think of any UK related names to suggest.

Really, HaliBuffy wasn't worth even a giggle? Too obscure? I thought it was all politically topical (it wasn't a serious suggestion, or I'd have voted for it).

Veverka
19-12-07, 11:10 PM
Slayage Central, imo. To the point, direct. ;)

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:17 PM
Yeah, it's Big Honkin' Castle. I came up to it as an homage to Riley's line in "Buffy vs. Dracula". I also take credit for coining 'hellnostril', which, since I started saying that months ago on BuffyWorld, makes me think Joss really does read message boards.

BHC, you get. :D Hellnostril, I remember someone saying a while before - a girl called Taffy13, anyone remember her? She was writing season 8 with me and others.

Me either. But I'll have a mull. (of kintyre, geddit? With the scottish...no...? I'll get my coat).

Really, HaliBuffy wasn't worth even a giggle? Too obscure? I thought it was all politically topical (it wasn't a serious suggestion, or I'd have voted for it).

Too obscure I'm afraid (though, haven't been following the news a lot lately)...splainy please!

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:18 PM
Slayage Central, imo. To the point, direct. ;)

That implies the place rather than the organisation though...any way of spinning it so it's more focussed on the people?

Heh. How about Slayerz. :D

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 11:22 PM
How about Slayer Mafia, to keep with a theme? ;)

Slayerz is a little too 1337 for me, I think.

Veverka
19-12-07, 11:23 PM
That implies the place rather than the organisation though...any way of spinning it so it's more focussed on the people?

Heh. How about Slayerz. :D

Yes, let's throw a Z in there. That's superheroey!

Okay, Slayerz' Central!

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 11:27 PM
I think I might just start calling them the Sunnydale Swim Team. Xander did have a t-shirt, after all, even though one would assume his is in the collapsed city.

tangent
19-12-07, 11:30 PM
EuroSlay? Slayers unlimited? The Guild of Slayers and Associated Trades?

I'm trying to think of a witty acronym but failing badly.

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:33 PM
How about Slayer Mafia, to keep with a theme? ;)

Slayerz is a little too 1337 for me, I think.

But it's hip with the kids!

Or the Slay Mafia. Like the gay mafia :) That's actually one of the things they always seemed like, especially in family - an amistead maupin kind of deal, where you don't fit in necessarily to the traditional structures (whether of sexuality or high school) but you make your own DIY family.

The Slayarchy?

Slaynation (what am I thinking of that in reference to? There's something but not sure. Possibly a club night of some kind)

Buffy International?

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:34 PM
Team Buffy, might be a simple solution. Like Team Angel. Especially if they could have a cheerleading competition against each other. Though that would be more fun if cordy was alive and Angel wasn't in hell. :D

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:36 PM
EuroSlay? Slayers unlimited? The Guild of Slayers and Associated Trades?

I'm trying to think of a witty acronym but failing badly.

I quite like Euroslay. :)

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 11:38 PM
I'm starting to think "Chuck's Stable o' Hos" sounds okay at this point :)

We could go old school and call them the Crime Club? Heh... with what we're talking about on the 8.09 discussion, I just remembered how Cordy had reasoned her way to the conclusion that Buffy must be in a gang.

tangent
19-12-07, 11:38 PM
The Slayarchy?

Slayarchy in the U.K!

No? Please yourselves. I'm actually liking Slayage unlimited although i think the wiccans are getting left out a bit.

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:41 PM
Slayarchy in the U.K!

No? Please yourselves. I'm actually liking Slayage unlimited although i think the wiccans are getting left out a bit.

I'm trying to think of something that factors in their opensource/loose structure...the improv nature of things.

Buffy Summers' Flying Circus :D Circus for short (with its overtones of secret british things...)

Wolfie Gilmore
19-12-07, 11:42 PM
Oooh, how about "The Slay Team". I pity the fool who doesn't like that :D

tangent
19-12-07, 11:45 PM
The Slayer Collective. Or does that sound too much like a band?

Slay-U-Like?

Oooh, how about "The Slay Team". I pity the fool who doesn't like that

Sold, sold and sold. I officially withdraw any and all offerings and bow to your genius.

KingofCretins
19-12-07, 11:50 PM
If they had a company newsletter, I'd call it Stake & Eggs :)
I'm starting to lean towards BIOS -- make an acronym out of the fact that we can't come up with a good name :)

Veverka
20-12-07, 12:02 AM
If they had a company newsletter, I'd call it Stake & Eggs :)

Oddly wrong! :p
But a newsletter? I think you have your very own new fanfic challenge!
*is looking forward to Dan's newsletter already*

Another suggestion- oh so wrong- "the great unwatched". :err:

KingofCretins
20-12-07, 12:06 AM
On a more serious note, I could see them having adopted not the Watchers' name, but the other, more cryptic institution that follows Slayer mythology -- Guardians. I mean, it is a girls-taking-care-of-girls thing, all matriarchal and such, and with the scythe.

tangent
20-12-07, 12:15 AM
That's why i can't bring myself to vote for any of the corporate names.

It's so clearly a Stakeholder organisation.:D

Weredog
20-12-07, 06:43 AM
SlayerCorp has a nice ring. It rolls off the tongue pretty good (if you speak as you type :D )

It'd be great to use a pop-culture reference that would work. Like the "Scooby Gang."

ThePoet's<3
20-12-07, 06:52 AM
I like Slayer Inc. But Slayto is kinda cute!!

And I refer to the castle as "MacCastle" or "Big Mac" for short. It incorporates it's origins - Scotland - and - well - that it's a castle. And it's big.

NileQT87
20-12-07, 07:24 AM
slay-a-lot or slayalot (camelot)
manpire united (wrong show--sounds like a treaty between angel and spike)
the slayers council
slayer headquarters europe
slayer central

slayer, inc., slayer central and slayer headquarters are the most dignified and official-sounding.

vampmogs
20-12-07, 12:10 PM
Do we really need one name? Joss has yet to feel the need to have one, I kind of like seeing people's different titles for Buffy's operation during their posts. As long as they are clear enough to understand what the poster is talking about I see no reason to just not leave it up to a person's creativity in the moment :)

Wolfie Gilmore
20-12-07, 12:17 PM
The Slayer Collective. Or does that sound too much like a band?

Slay-U-Like?

So buffy is a spud? (why is spud you like still a funny thing? I can't stop finding it funny, even if it probably went out of business ten years ago!).

Sold, sold and sold. I officially withdraw any and all offerings and bow to your genius.

:D :D Also, buffy could wear lots of gold jewellery :D

Hee, McCastle = funneh! Also makes me think they serve burgers there...or is that white castle...which would bring back horrid memories for Buffy.

I'm with tangent on the no corporate/official sounding names...sorta feels against the spirit of Buffy. Want something that would have a ".org" web address. :) And a wiki-based site.

Re the newsletter, that WOULD be fun to write. Who would write it, I mean, which character? Andrew?? Or maybe Dawn, when she's person sized? She's got the literary/bookish thing going on while not being a big fat lying mcliar. :)

Another scots idea...Clan Buffy. Or perhaps the Tartan Army...

I keep coming back to Slayto. Guardians could work.

Depends whether we're going for a nickname just for us to use or whether it would be something that the scoobs would be likely to use themselves?

Do we really need one name? Joss has yet to feel the need to have one, I kind of like seeing people's different titles for Buffy's operation during their posts. As long as they are clear enough to understand what the poster is talking about I see no reason to just not leave it up to a person's creativity in the moment :)

Good point! I think we should go the scooby way and have many nicknames for things. As Xander says when he's called Anya's "sweet cookie face"..."I go by many names" :)

Veverka
20-12-07, 01:19 PM
Re the newsletter, that WOULD be fun to write. Who would write it, I mean, which character? Andrew?? Or maybe Dawn, when she's person sized? She's got the literary/bookish thing going on while not being a big fat lying mcliar. :)

I've started piecing something together... I've got one article, written by Andrew... kinda figured he's the storyteller, and figured he's probably cajole Vi into co-writing...

OkinawanSteel
07-01-08, 01:23 PM

Oh, come on King! Buffingham Palace? Isn't that like the most obvious suggestion that comes to mind?

ciderdrinker
08-01-08, 01:02 AM
How about International Band of Slayers (IBS)?

Yes it is a play on Irritable Bowel Syndrome!

Maggie
08-01-08, 01:30 AM
Bank Robbers R Us?

NimNams
08-01-08, 05:09 AM
HaliBuffy. Brilliant.

And tasty when breaded.

Wolfie Gilmore
08-01-08, 11:01 AM
Buffy's Merry Men (since Robin Hood, with the thieving...)

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 01:41 AM
After 8.10, I think I'm going to start calling them the Slayer Mafia :) SM for short.

stormwreath
10-01-08, 02:46 AM
After 8.10, I think I'm going to start calling them the Slayer Mafia :) SM for short.How about the Slayer Mafia Group, then? :) (You can work out the abbreviation yourself, I'm sure...)

For the record, I call them Team Slayer, on the analogy of Team Angel. But Willow calls them "the Slayer Army".

KingofCretins
10-01-08, 03:05 AM
I've always preferred Strega's term for Angel's crew from her recaps on TWOP -- the MoG, or ministers of grace.

I like Slayer Mafia Gang (better tonally), or SMG -- Sarah isn't using it anymore :)

redrevo
10-01-08, 03:43 AM
I wonder if they will ever sink to a low enough level to be called the SA (Sturmabteilung)...

Then again, I'd not like to see that.

nester
10-01-08, 04:34 AM
I wonder if they will ever sink to a low enough level to be called the SA (Sturmabteilung)...

Then again, I'd not like to see that.

Damn. I was going to suggest the Slayer Alliance. It would convey the organization’s dual nature as an alliance of slayers and an alliance with slayers for the various other kinds of people in the organization (baseline humans, psychics, witches, mystics)

In the spirit of Checkpoint, I wonder if Buffy’s group will absorb parts of Twilight’s organization after she brings him down?

Weredog
10-01-08, 05:28 AM
I think Joss is going for "Slayer Army" as their title. I think this cause Willow refers to them as so in "Anywhere But Here." Then again, because a term has been used once, doesn't mean it will be pronounced numerous times. Remember "slayerettes"? It took four years for it to be mentioned again. :p

Invisible Girl
15-01-08, 12:23 AM
HaliBuffy
United Slaytions

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Wolfie Gilmore
15-01-08, 10:43 AM
I've always preferred Strega's term for Angel's crew from her recaps on TWOP -- the MoG, or ministers of grace.

I like Slayer Mafia Gang (better tonally), or SMG -- Sarah isn't using it anymore :)

Why ministers of grace? Confused!

I think flexible terminology is most in the spirit of Buffy... after all, even the Scoobies isn't always used.

Using whatever term comes into your head is articularly interesting in terms of understanding how readers see the operation...is it a military organisation? A mystical one? A take back the night-y feminist one...? Or a gang of thieves?

Damn, now I've got a song in my head...

Buffy summers
Buffy Summers
Riding through the glen...(well, they do live in Scotland)
Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
With her band of Girls
They steal from the rich
and build mystical forcefields
Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers...

EDIT: Oh yes, never did ask...what's the Halibuffy thing?

stormwreath
15-01-08, 11:46 PM
Oh yes, never did ask...what's the Halibuffy thing?Presumably a reference to Halliburton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton), the quintessential real-life Evil Corporation of our times.

And your sixth line might be better ending with 'women' instead of 'girls', so it still rhymes with 'glen'. Though then it wouldn't scan... :)

Wolfie Gilmore
16-01-08, 11:41 AM
Presumably a reference to Halliburton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton), the quintessential real-life Evil Corporation of our times.

Ah, thanks :) So, Wolfram and Hartish? By the way, off topic, but does anyone else find it reeeeally creepy that the top law firms are called "magic circle" firms? Anyone else thinking circle of the black thorn?

And your sixth line might be better ending with 'women' instead of 'girls', so it still rhymes with 'glen'. Though then it wouldn't scan... :)

Scan, schman! Women/glen, I like!