PDA

View Full Version : Netflix has switched to godawful Fox 16:9 HD version / petition for a new remaster

Ladyhawk
25-08-16, 09:56 PM
Hello, this is my first post. Buffy is my favorite show and sort of a guilty pleasure. I'm perceived as intelligent, so I don't discuss my "Buffy Love" with others, even though they might like it, too. After all, it's a pretty smart show, despite the silly title and rough first season.

Oh, they called it Buffy Love...oh, I guess they'll never know...

OK, enough of that.

I'm posting to let you know that Netflix has switched to the much-maligned Fox remaster of Buffy in 16:9 HD. At first mention, that sounds really cool, doesn't it? Not so fast. Fox botched it big time. Joss Whedon himself came out against the remastered version (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/17/joss-whedon-is-against-widescreen-hd-version-of-buffy-the-vampire-slayer): "Buffy was shot 4x3 cuz TVs were shaped that way. Widescreen Buffy is nonsense. (Firefly was shot wide - Fox cropped it.)" IGN goes on to explain other issues with the remaster:

Whedon himself has no involvement with the transfer, which itself is rife with issues - from brightness problems, color problems, zooming snafus, to shots extended so wide that they reveal lighting equipment, camera crews, and even characters who have left the scene (and the entire area, per the story).

There was a certain "feel" to Buffy created by the brightness levels and color filters used by Whedon and crew. You'll find that the Fox remaster destroyed even the simplest of scenes by changing the lighting and color. Unacceptable. I'd hate for this version to be the first version encountered by newbies, so I urge you to drop by Netflix (if you have an account) and leave a scathing review of the Fox remaster, demanding that Netflix return to the 4:3 SD version it had (which was actually pretty darn good) until a Whedon-approved HD version is released.

There is a petition, asking Whedon to oversee a new remaster. You can sign that HERE (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/make-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-on-blu-ray).

Thank you for your time.

Ladyhawk
16-10-16, 08:06 PM
Here's one more thing you can do: 1) Start watching an episode of Buffy for a couple of minutes, and exit out. 2) Go to your account ane then viewing history 3) Click on report a problem and choose video and 4) Vent your frustration about the entire series. Make sure they know it isn't just the one episode.

Thanks.

MikeB
02-09-17, 06:45 PM
I'm watching Gossip Girl on Netflix and the picture quality is amazing. BtVS S1 and BtVS S2 likely couldn't reach 1080p quality, but BtVS S3-BtVS S7 should be able to.

BuffyBreakdancer
03-09-17, 05:31 PM
Buffy really deserves to be remastered properly. Time to vote with my wallet.