PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with Buffy's HD?

VisionGuy
11-08-16, 04:29 AM
Hello. :wave:

I was watching Buffy on Netflix last night (my DVDs sadly do not work anymore) and I noticed that U.S. Netflix has added the HD versions of the episodes, which is a huge no-no for me. Why? Because the HD remasters of the show are terrible! The early seasons, which are supposed to look dark and gothy, look way too bright like a pop music video, the show is in widescreen when it isn't supposed to be and some episodes (particularly from seasons 1-3) are horribly cropped. It's just a disaster in general. There's a video on YouTube entitled, "What's Wrong with Buffy's HD?" that actually goes into detail about this problematic remaster, and I've included a link to it below.

The show is practically unwatchable this way in my opinion. Sadly, I will have to re-buy the DVDs if I want to watch Buffy as I refuse to watch it this way. I don't know if the Netflix outside of Region 1 has these remasters (or if the other regions even have the show on Netflix at all), but for those who have seen this remaster: What do you think? Do you like it, or do you think there needs to be another (much better) remaster?

"What's Wrong with Buffy's HD?" Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F28XcxHxH6k

kimothyschma
11-08-16, 05:26 AM
I enjoy the brighter colors and the sharp images, but I hate the cropping. It ruins the composition of so many shots. I haven't watched any S1-3 episodes since the switch, though, but S7 is not too bad. It's watchable for me, since I can't afford the DVDs right now. But I wish I could! Sadly, I don't think there will be another remaster. They've spent money on this one already. :(

Stoney
11-08-16, 08:27 PM
I had seen the original Facebook page the vid is based on and think the errors are pretty disgraceful tbh. That their remaster has effectively changed Joss et al's creative choices just isn't acceptable. I find it sad that Joss even voiced his displeasure and it didn't matter. And yeah, some of the changes are just shockingly bad. :down:

I have the Region 2 DVDs though so apparently I will have had a revised widescreen for the later seasons anyway, which I never realised was the case. I'd love to have a HD Buffy, for the fanart screencaps more than anything, but all this has done is made me want to buy a set of the Region 1 DVDs.