PDA

View Full Version : S2E16 Theory

husky34
18-02-16, 04:27 AM
So in this episode Xander decides to use a witch to exact vengeance on Cordelia after he dumps her. The spell inevitably backfires and now every girl is psycho crazy in love with him except Cordelia. They play this off as Xander's spell wasn't pure therefore it backfired. I believe though the spell went a little crazy but ultimately worked. Although all those other girls were also effected by it so was Cordelia. The reason she wasn't acting like everyone else though is because that was her crazy psycho in love with him. She was already in love with him so it seemed as though the spell didn't work.

MikeB
06-02-18, 03:18 PM
* "In love" means "love plus who want to have sex with the person". Xander and Cordelia never had sex; therefore, Cordelia wasn't "in love" with Xander.

* Amy Madison maybe simply wasn't powerful enough at the time to correctly do such a love spell. Even Willow's spell in "Something Blue" (B 4.09) didn't work as intended.

Priceless
06-02-18, 05:56 PM
So in this episode Xander decides to use a witch to exact vengeance on Cordelia after he dumps her. The spell inevitably backfires and now every girl is psycho crazy in love with him except Cordelia. They play this off as Xander's spell wasn't pure therefore it backfired. I believe though the spell went a little crazy but ultimately worked. Although all those other girls were also effected by it so was Cordelia. The reason she wasn't acting like everyone else though is because that was her crazy psycho in love with him. She was already in love with him so it seemed as though the spell didn't work.

That actually makes sense. Cordy did love Xander, she was only pretending not to love him to please her friends, so it could look as though the spell hadn't worked, because she was already in love with him. I'm not sure that's what the writers were going for, but it definitely fits

flow
06-02-18, 07:20 PM
* "In love" means "love plus who want to have sex with the person". Xander and Cordelia never had sex; therefore, Cordelia wasn't "in love" with Xander.

But it could be, that she wanted to have sex with him. Actually, I think it is quite clearly shown, that she in love with him and wanted to be with him. They were both still quite Young at that time and both not sexually experienced, so it makes sense, that they didn`t jum each others bones but took their time. Unfortunately time was then cut short, by Xander kissing Willow.

Didn`t the spell go wrong, because Amy called the wrong godess (Diana instead of Venus or someting like that )?

flow

Priceless
06-02-18, 07:54 PM
Didn`t the spell go wrong, because Amy called the wrong godess (Diana instead of Venus or someting like that )?

I've read that somewhere. Diana is the goddess of the hunt I think, so not the one to call on when you want a successful love spell :)

And I agree re: Xander and Cordy. Just because two people don't sleep together doesn't mean they don't love each other, especially teenagers.

MikeB
16-04-18, 02:30 PM
flow

* Cordy would have had sex with Xander if she wanted to have sex with him. Xander clearly wanted to have sex with her.

Itís relative, but Cordy and Xander were both Juniors in high school in BtVS S2. They were seniors in BtVS S3 and still didnít have sex with each other.

Xander was in love with Cordy, but Cordy wasnít in love with Xander.

Priceless
16-04-18, 03:02 PM
flow

* Cordy would have had sex with Xander if she wanted to have sex with him. Xander clearly wanted to have sex with her.

It’s relative, but Cordy and Xander were both Juniors in high school in BtVS S2. They were seniors in BtVS S3 and still didn’t have sex with each other.

Xander was in love with Cordy, but Cordy wasn’t in love with Xander.

Isn't there an argument to be made that Xander really wasn't in love with Cordy because he tells Amy he doesn't want the love spell to be a 'forever' thing, he doesn't want to be with Cordy forever, he just wants her to suffer. That's not 'love'. He also cheats with Willow, also a sign that he may have loved Cordy, but not enough to keep it in his pants :p

ghoststar
16-04-18, 04:25 PM
"Wants to have sex with a person" =/= "has sex with a person." I don't know if it's true love between them, but the awkwardness of trying to seduce someone for the first time might have been too much for either of them to overcome, even if it were.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an interesting theory. I don't know that it could ever be demonstrated, but I find it plausible. And a little unsettling, TBH. Would the spell have been reversed on her at the same time it was reversed on the people it crazed, or is Xander unknowingly taking advantage of a magical boost to her affections for some time after? (I don't think he'd want to; I just doubt he'd think of it.) Creepy!

HardlyThere
16-04-18, 04:29 PM
It seems pretty obvious that the spell worked in reverse and every other woman suddenly became lusty for him, while Cordy was shielded from it because of the charm. If she was affected also, she would have been after him the same as everyone else.

KingofCretins
16-04-18, 05:52 PM
If I follow, you're saying that the spell operated as intended with the end result of Cordelia falling madly in love with Xander, or at least realizing it, and that the other effects were merely the mechanism by which it did so? But how does that reconcile with the reversal terminating the other effects? Wouldn't they have to be self-terminating in some way?