PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Joss Whedon characters in WatchMojo.com

Rihannon
31-12-15, 07:34 PM
Don't know if someone already posted this, but I didn't find it here in the forums, so...:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C46VsJCBdY

Happy New Year, everyone!!:1party::celebration::wine:

kimothyschma
01-01-16, 12:00 AM
I saw this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was crazy that Anya was ranked above Willow, and especially that Mal was above Buffy. But it's the result of a poll, so whatever. :p

Happy New Year! :2party:

Rihannon
01-01-16, 01:03 AM
I thought Buffy would be #1, but as you said, it was a poll... :D

HardlyThere
01-01-16, 03:30 AM
A poll of Firefly fans, maybe.

TimeTravellingBunny
03-01-16, 01:07 PM
I saw this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was crazy that Anya was ranked above Willow, and especially that Mal was above Buffy. But it's the result of a poll, so whatever. :p

Happy New Year! :2party:

I'd swap Anya (though I love her) and Cordelia for Faith and Darla. Much better written characters with better arcs.

- - - Updated - - -

A poll of Firefly fans, maybe.

A poll of Firefly fans wouldn't have just 3 Firefly characters on the list, and Spike at #1.

Silver1
03-01-16, 02:16 PM
Why Spike?

kimothyschma
04-01-16, 01:38 AM
I'd swap Anya (though I love her) and Cordelia for Faith and Darla. Much better written characters with better arcs.

Yes. I like watching Anya more than many others, but she isn't nearly as fleshed out and there are major inconsistencies in her character. The "fear of bunnies" thing really grates on me after a couple of rewatches. And this is so subjective (and I'm sure had no clear-cut criteria) because Faith totally misses for me, but I understand a lot of people really love her. A better title would be "Top 10 Most Popular Joss Whedon Characters."

HardlyThere
04-01-16, 03:54 AM

- - - Updated - - -

A poll of Firefly fans wouldn't have just 3 Firefly characters on the list, and Spike at #1.

3 out of top 10. A show that had a fraction of the episodes of Buffy/Angel and about half of Dollhouse.

Stoney
04-01-16, 04:13 AM

Well the rewatch has improved my appreciation of Anya and Cordelia more, but I'd definitely agree with you that Faith and Darla are better characters with better arcs. I think Darla's time on BtVS often makes people inclined to look past her and where they then took her and developed her in AtS.

MikeB
05-01-16, 06:47 AM
This is merely a list.

Perhaps Willow is ranked relatively low because of her Dark Willow arc and maybe also because of how she is at the end of BtVS S8 and through Season 9.

Arguably, Buffy at times is unlikable. Unlike Mal, she's never told her best friends that she'd kill all of them to prevent any of them trying to save to the world by killing her 'fake' sister.

I don't understand Anya's relatively high ranking. Dr. Horrible's ridiculously high ranking is beyond silly. He's a horrible person and is in what is essentially a web series that's shorter than a single episode of TV.

River and Faith should have been on this list. Faith isn't even in the 'honorable mentions' section.

I fully disagree regarding WatchMojo's saying Spike has a "depressing backstory" and that Spike is "identifiable".

Spike is probably the most privileged character in the Whedonverse (outside of the MCU) throughout his life and death. His only real problems are Cecily rejects his marriage proposal, he has to share Drusilla for around 18 years, and Buffy gets with Riley instead of him. Even the chip leads to the best sex of his life and his possibly being able to go to a heavenly dimension when he dies even though he's killed at least 10s of 1,000s and has been responsible for the deaths of possibly upwards of 10s of 1Ms.

Rihannon
25-04-16, 06:44 PM
They also listed Buffy #1 in the Top 10 Lead Female Sci-Fi and Fantasy TV Characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Aw8EaO3Yw

and #5 in the Top 10 Kick Ass Female TV Characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB_0vyu_kkE

I know these are popularity contests, but I have to feel glad to see how Buffy prevails as a meaningful and powerful character :D

GoSpuffy
13-01-18, 07:16 AM
I don't think I've ever seen Spike as number 1 before so that surprised me. I think Buffy should have been number 1.

Priceless
13-01-18, 09:23 AM
As has been said, it was a poll, so what can you expect :p i also wonder if they had even watched the show because I'm sure they call Anya 'Anna' at one point.

I can't comment on the Firefly characters, as I've only watched in the once, a long time ago. But I was glad to see Cordy made it onto the list, she has great character growth and some of the best lines. I'm surprised Anya made it, and beat out Giles and Tara who are both so beloved. I can understand why Spike is number 1, he's a lot of people's favourite and he's endlessly interesting. Personally I'd have preferred Buffy was at number 1, but I don't mind that Spike hit the top spot :)

TriBel
13-01-18, 11:06 AM
Personally I'd have preferred Buffy was at number 1, but I don't mind that Spike hit the top spot They're each a vehicle for the other - they go hand-in-hand (read this as you will or as I know you will). In fact, I'd argue that each has a presence in the life of the other before they actually meet (certainly from Spike's perspective). For this reason, the absent presence, I think every time Spike is mentioned you're entitled to presume Buffy as well.;) This is me desperately trying to be a NICE person - can you tell? :)

Priceless
13-01-18, 12:18 PM
They're each a vehicle for the other - they go hand-in-hand (read this as you will or as I know you will). In fact, I'd argue that each has a presence in the life of the other before they actually meet (certainly from Spike's perspective). For this reason, the absent presence, I think every time Spike is mentioned you're entitled to presume Buffy as well.;) This is me desperately trying to be a NICE person - can you tell? :)

Lol you don't have to try to be nice TB, you just naturally are . . . unless you're related to you . . . those poor lads :lol:

But i love the idea that they are part of each other, even before they knew each other. Spike's obsession with Slayers could only lead him to Buffy.