PDA

View Full Version : "I know i am a monster, but..."-why it's a problem for Spike?

wildfly
11-11-15, 04:41 PM
"I know that I'm a monster, but you treat me like a man, and that's..."
i love that line, but i am also confused about it.

so what's his problem being treated like a monster? :confused:
after all, he has no soul, no consistence. shan't have problem with it. should be real proud. evil and all. he was fine being a monster with dru for 100+ years.

did he simply mean by "treated like a monster" treated like dirt, despised and hated?
or actually he aspired to be a man, not a vampire? had desires beyond those a vamp should have?

KingofCretins
11-11-15, 07:09 PM
You may consider at least one obvious implication of being treated "like a monster" by Buffy Summers. I'm sure his meaning runs deeper than that, but it's not an insignificant thing.

PuckRobin
11-11-15, 08:35 PM
Just wanted to say that Spike's nature - both monstrous and at times human - is being covered in great detail by American Aurora in the wonderful multi-part review of "Fool for Love" over in the rewatch thread.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20053-BtVS-rewatch-SEASON-5&p=706670&viewfull=1#post706670

You might want to check that out.

MikeB
28-07-16, 05:29 PM
* In “The Gift” (B 5.22), Spike is still in his ‘Courtly Lover’ phase with Buffy. His speech to Buffy is actually incorrect. She will love him (and perhaps already does). His being the monster he is is precisely why she is interested in Spike. She has sex with him after realizing his chip isn’t working on her and that he can kill her.

Buffy wanted Angel to be a human man. She wanted Riley to be a perfect boyfriend. Spike in “The Gift” perhaps considers that Buffy would be more interested in Spike if Spike were more human.

Spike is telling Buffy that her having some feelings for him, even if limited to hers having him be a quasi Scooby and hers treating him with some respect, is enough to him. But he cuts himself off partly because he gets emotional and it’s clearly not enough for him.

WWBD
24-08-16, 10:34 PM
I think that "monster" is simply referring to his vampire side,
, and "man" is what he aspires to be. Not literally just a plain old human man,
but as being worthy.