PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

kimothyschma
27-07-15, 05:20 AM
Hello, Buffy fans!

I have been lurking on the Buffy season 4 rewatch thread all summer and I haven't had the guts to post on there yet so I figured I'd say hi here instead! The posters on there are so insightful; I can't get enough of it.

My college roommate introduced me to Buffy (although I remember catching a few episodes on tv as a kid) about eight years ago now. I think I've probably rewatched it about 5 times now. I watched Angel through once. It was rough for me to get through, although I liked the first couple seasons.

I'm a stay-at-home mom since November, and I have gotten interested in the fandom for the first time. I didn't even realize it was still active until I accidentally came across a great discussion in the comments section on the toast (lol). My husband and my sisters are sick of hearing me talk about Buffy, and I am a closet nerd whose friends don't understand the appeal, so I am reaching out to the internet for an outlet for my Buffy-obsession!

Buffy is my favorite character. She is totally my hero. I have also gotten pathetically addicted to spuffy fanfic, although most of it is pretty mushy for my tastes (but I am kinda in love with early 2000s JM).

That's all I can think of. It seems like you have a really intelligent community here and I just wanted to introduce myself!

Kim

Stoney
27-07-15, 06:16 AM
Hey kimothyschma. I came to online fandom in pretty much the same way, accidentally finding it and feeling the need for an outlet with others who wanted to talk BtVS as much as I did. You've seen it more than I have, I'm on my third watch with the current rewatch and my second for AtS. I hope you do consider doing a review for S5 in the rewatch with us, or popping in to comment over there. You are very welcome to join on any level. :biggrin1:

Are you reading the comic continuations?

See you around the board.

Cordelia
27-07-15, 09:12 AM
Welcome Kim.

I'm a more recent fan, having only been watching since 2013 but like you found my first Buffyverse internet community by accident and lurked here a bunch before making my account due to the high concentration of ATS threads that were pertaining to season 5. It took me until just a month or so ago to find the motivation to watch season 5 due to Cordelia's coma and the concept of A.I taking over Wolfram & Heart.
It was when I noticed a thread discussing the effect of the Doximall bliss drug on Angel in 'Eternity' that I'd finally made my account because I had a perspective on that to share.
Believe me, I know what it's like to struggle to find an outlet for your fandom, most of mine are soley on the internet because no one in my RL shares them...or is passed it now (it was actually my mother who turned me on to BTVS back in high school technically because she'd practically shoved the DVDs in my face though I'd not gotten into it at that time and then to ATS which got me started in 2013).

Personally I happen to prefer ATS though I'll agree that it had it's difficult to get through storylines such as the Darla/Epiphany arc in season 2 and the Cordy/Connor/Jasmine arc in season 4. That's why I just focus on the majority of first three seasons up until the Groosalugg shows up at the end of 'Waiting in the Wings'. For me that's where all the brillant writing and characterization was.

Maybe I'll join a Buffyforums rewatch sometime. I really could use a brush up on my BTVS to be able to have proper eloquence in these internet community discussions.

kimothyschma
27-07-15, 05:37 PM
Stoney, I got your message and I couldn't PM you without some posts so I figured I'd start one! I am thinking about joining the season 5 rewatch (my favorite season? it's hard to decide), but I find the discussion level kind of intimidating. Although that's what I like about it. I made an account just to thank those brilliant posts.

I am reading the comics! I just caught up recently, actually. I'm wishing season 10 had more depth to the writing but enjoying the spuffy/scoobyness of it all. Some people complain about it being like "Friends," but I would watch/read the heck out of Buffy & Friends even without any world-saving. Angel & Faith has left me a little cold in season 10, which is sad because I love them together. Mostly I am just really thankful that they are still continuing the story almost 15 years later.

Cordelia, I am thinking of doing another rewatch of AtS and BtVS together. Maybe some things will make more sense. I love the gang: Fred, Lorne, Gunn, Wesley (boy did he change) and of course Cordy and Angel. But I hate hate hate mystical pregnancies and, well, there are 3. I just get so mad about everything that happens to Cordy. And then Spike, my second favorite character, joins the cast and just acts so totally weird. I dunno, I kinda wish that never happened.

Stoney
27-07-15, 07:26 PM
You should totally join in with the rewatch. I never get half the thematic links that others pick up on and I'm a total (although not literal, ha) hermit so have beggar all cultural/historical knowledge, I'm always being enlightened. Reviews can be as brief or light as you like so you shouldn't feel that you can't do one because any style is welcome. I always love the variety we get. Or just join in the discussion if you prefer, but I think you should try a review :p. The sign up will go up this week and I'll link to it on the rewatch thread. It is first-come, first-served but it normally takes a week or so to fill up the list. :D No worries about the messaging, I didn't realise there were restrictions when you first join.

I'm with you on Spike in AtS 5, it is my least favourite season of AtS mostly because of how they used him. Some points of development were good/interesting but they made a hash of his characterisation at points to force him into the whole season. I didn't like the Cordelia pregnancy storyline although I got something out of anything Connor related, such an intriguing/complex character, I wish he had been in it more.

Cordelia
27-07-15, 07:33 PM
Cordelia, I am thinking of doing another rewatch of AtS and BtVS together. Maybe some things will make more sense. I love the gang: Fred, Lorne, Gunn, Wesley (boy did he change) and of course Cordy and Angel. But I hate hate hate mystical pregnancies and, well, there are 3. I just get so mad about everything that happens to Cordy. And then Spike, my second favorite character, joins the cast and just acts so totally weird. I dunno, I kinda wish that never happened.

I hate pregnancies/babies in supernatural shows as well but for a while Connor was alright, I like how he brought the team together closer as a family but then the whole 'Father will kill the sun' BS had to happen and cue gimmick. :P

What I dislike about season 5 most is how Cordelia's coma and then death are completely ignored like she'd never been there while Fred's death weighs down on the team deeply for the rest of the season after. Even though 'You're Welcome' was a beautiful send off, it's just disrespectful that she was remembered so little after how important she was to the team, to Angel.
The Spike role was hilarious at times but pretty pointless and I didn't appreciate how he'd bring out some extremely juvinille behavior/motives in Angel after he'd matured so much throughout the series. At times thes things even made me want to throw things at my television set.

HisMRS
28-07-15, 12:37 AM
Hey and welcome, Kim!!

Cordelia
28-07-15, 03:56 AM
I didn't like the Cordelia pregnancy storyline

Really, who did? Even Charisma hated it, that whole thing was just extreme immaturity on Whedon's part. I've heard stories regarding how the season 4 Cordelia storyline was supposed to have happened and if there is truth to it than Jasmine made little difference except that it was very disrespectful to an amazing character.

kimothyschma
29-07-15, 03:18 AM
Hi, HisMRS!

Stoney, I am considering the review... just afraid of committment :xd

Cordelia, what do you like about AtS? I haven't ever really discussed it with anyone before.

Cordelia
31-07-15, 12:32 AM
Cordelia, what do you like about AtS? I haven't ever really discussed it with anyone before.

First and foremost the relationship between Angel and Cordelia, they're absoslutely my OTP but alongside that I felt ATS had the best character growth and most well done and engaging storylines. Much more so than where BTVS went after it's third season (though I did kind of find the idea of the initiative interesting).
Other than a few rough areas such as the Darla/Epiphany arc the first three seasons right up until that last moment in 'Waiting in the Wings' when Cordelia runs into Groosalugg's arms is really well done, but that moment was where it peaked from all directions and kamakazied from there.

kimothyschma
31-07-15, 02:20 AM
Cool. :) You are making me excited to watch it again!

Cordelia
31-07-15, 02:25 AM
Glad I could be inspirational. :D

Nina
31-07-15, 09:04 AM
Hey kimothyschma, :wave: welcome on BF. I hope to see you around! ^^

Faith_
26-08-15, 09:54 PM
hi there slayer. let's play?

_Buffy_
30-10-15, 11:42 PM
Hi ! It's so nice to see a new people here ! I didn't have enough time for BF lately , but still.... I still follow the comic books, and just for the record : Buffy will be my favorite tv show , ever ! :xd

Faith_
31-10-15, 06:51 PM
Hi ! It's so nice to see a new people here ! I didn't have enough time for BF lately , but still.... I still follow the comic books, and just for the record : Buffy will be my favorite tv show , ever ! :xd
Hope we can work as a team as we know how bad it gets when their is only slayers and nothing else but slayers too fight. Hugs ...