PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Buffy Poll

Silver1
25-06-15, 04:01 PM
Fifteen questions courtesy of Buzzfeed...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/caitlinjinks/buffy-forever#.biJbEXklDn

Stoney
25-06-15, 05:51 PM
I always like doing these polls. I was surprise S7 was so unloved (wasn't my choice, I'm a S6 gal) and that Tara/Willow were the couple that gave the most 'feels'. Felt pretty sorry for Dawn that she was least popular, I mean over Kennedy, you what? Really!? And what the heck is wrong with Snyder? That really surprised me. I wish Wes was winning over Andrew too.

Silver1
25-06-15, 06:12 PM
I can't believe that they thought Andrew was the most underused. I mean in season 7 we were deluged with him.

Stoney
25-06-15, 10:00 PM
Well as poor S7 came as such a low rated season perhaps a whole bunch forgot to watch it?

Silver1
25-06-15, 10:04 PM
I have to admit season 7 is not on the top of list either. For me the potentials just killed what could have been a great final.

Stoney
25-06-15, 10:59 PM
Yeah I'm not sure where i'd place it, the potentials were truly awful and I really disliked the whole slayer spell. Hmmm, I'd probably still rate it over S4, maybe S1 too. Not sure.

Clavus
26-06-15, 01:38 PM
Yeah, to me the really low votes for season 7 came as a surprise, too. I voted for 5 but would have thought that 7 beat at least 1 and/or 4.

I did like that Anya made best recurring female character and that Spike won in the male category, but I was surprised at Dawn beating Kennedy by 32 to 13% as the least favorite character. I liked the dynamic between her and Spike in seasons 5 and 6 and she really grew up and shed pretty much all of her teenage brattiness in 7. Kennedy and her constant attitude of entitlement just got on my nerves on the other hand.

And yay for "Out for a walk - bitch!"

TimeTravellingBunny
27-06-15, 01:09 PM
I always like doing these polls. I was surprise S7 was so unloved (wasn't my choice, I'm a S6 gal) and that Tara/Willow were the couple that gave the most 'feels'. Felt pretty sorry for Dawn that she was least popular, I mean over Kennedy, you what? Really!? And what the heck is wrong with Snyder? That really surprised me. I wish Wes was winning over Andrew too.
I think with Snyder they confused intentionally annoying (he was a great character and meant to be an irritating antagonist) and unintentionally annoying (like Kennedy etc.).

The biggest surprise for me was that Becoming part 2 only came at #4 for the greatest finale, after Graduation Day part 2 (really? since when is it the second most loved finale?! It'd put it at second weakest) and Chosen (the weakest season finale IMO). Restless being last is, I guess, due to it not really being a proper finale, not due to people judging it as an episode - as an episode it's one of the best of the show.

Stoney
27-06-15, 03:48 PM
You're probably right about why Snyder got voted for TTB but totally undeserved because, yes, he was a great character. I hadn't noticed the season finales. Even though I preferred the Gift I would have expected Becoming to win and would have felt it was deserved.

I am totally prepared to change my view of Restless. I've never really watched it and thought about the meaning within it, I've just always found it jarring at the end of the season. But as the rewatch gets closer and I'm in the zone I will be surprised if my opinion is still lukewarm towards it this time. You should totally drop by and join us for the discussion, I know you love the episode. Or at any time of course, you know you are always more than welcome. :)

Rihannon
27-06-15, 05:51 PM
Polls are fun. It is always nice to know where the trends are leading. Many of the questions were tough ones (except the Spike-related ones, of course), it made me realize I like a lot of characters and seasons, and finales. To me, the most shocking result was that Dawn rated so low in popularity. I always thought she was a great addition to the crew. In fact, I finally voted for season 5 as my favorite, and it definitively wouldn't be the same without Dawn.
Thanks to Silver for sharing this!

TimeTravellingBunny
27-06-15, 08:23 PM
You're probably right about why Snyder got voted for TTB but totally undeserved because, yes, he was a great character. I hadn't noticed the season finales. Even though I preferred the Gift I would have expected Becoming to win and would have felt it was deserved.

I am totally prepared to change my view of Restless. I've never really watched it and thought about the meaning within it, I've just always found it jarring at the end of the season. But as the rewatch gets closer and I'm in the zone I will be surprised if my opinion is still lukewarm towards it this time. You should totally drop by and join us for the discussion, I know you love the episode. Or at any time of course, you know you are always more than welcome. :)

My problem is that I'm way, way behind with my rewatch, which got interrupted due to various stuff, and just when I was starting to continue my rewatch reviews. :( It's really embarrassing and frustrating. I keep hoping to find time to do them all, if I manage to write faster, but I'm now over 20 episodes behind.

Stoney
27-06-15, 10:32 PM
Ah but you know the eps so well you could have a diversionary visit and just join an episode chat if you like. You never know it might motivate you to start your rewatch again. :p

MikeB
27-06-15, 10:58 PM
Firstly, this isn’t a random sampling, but BuzzFeed is perhaps a large enough entity/forum for us to draw some conclusions regarding the fans of the Buffyverse.

* It’s clear that the wider fanbase seems to at least partly bifurcate the TV Buffyverse with the BtVS S8 and after Buffyverse.

* Even though BtVS S8 and after hasn’t considerably affected the popularity of Buffy/Angel, it seems the events of BtVS S8 and after have significantly lessened the popularity of Buffy and considerably lessened the popularity of Angel and of Faith.

* Regarding Question 1:

BtVS S5 used to be regarded as the best Season of BtVS. Here, BtVS S3 and BtVS S2 are more popular.

* Regarding Question 2:

Buffy and Willow are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. Perhaps Willow is getting some How I Met Your Mother love. Perhaps Buffy is significantly less popular after BtVS S8. Xander remains the least popular member of the Original Four (O4).

* Regarding Question 3:

Those results are shocking. Faith Lehane used to be by far more popular than these others were. Tara Maclay less popular than Anya Jenkins? Cordelia Chase is probably getting AtS love here.

I can’t explain these results. Willow/Tara remains popular but Tara doesn’t?

While clearly most Buffyverse fans weren’t reading BtVS S8 much less reading A&F, many probably know of the title Angel & Faith , which means they know that Faith supported Angel after BtVS S8.

* Regarding Question 4:

Here we see that Angel’s popularity has considerably diminished after BtVS S8. Spike had a 45% margin over Angel.

* Regarding Question 5:

Andrew and Wesley are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. Andrew Wells has a significant 16% lead over Jonathan Levinson. All the stuff that Andrew did isn’t as evil as Jonathan’s Superstar spell (“Superstar” (B 4.17)).

* Regarding Question 6:

Drusilla remains a popular character and she has a significant 13% lead over Joyce Summers.

* Regarding Question 7:

Dawn Summers is more unpopular than Riley Finn is.

* Regarding Question 9:

Dark Willow, Glorificus, and Angelus are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. Those results seem another example of Angel’s popularity taking a huge hit after BtVS S8. Dark Willow used to be behind Angel, Glory, Spike and Drusilla, the Mayor, and the Master in terms of who was the ‘greatest’ Big Bad. Willow being so popular perhaps pushed Dark Willow up in the ‘greatest’ Big Bad category. Perhaps Spike and Drusilla’s portrayals in the comics lessened their ‘evilness’ in the eyes of fans.

* Regarding Question 11:

Willow/Tara, Buffy/Angel, and Buffy/Spike are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. In ways, Willow/Tara simply hasn’t been tarnished by the comics. Buffy/Spike was already tarnished in AtS s5 because Spike didn’t go back to Buffy and Spike didn’t even contact Buffy. Buffy/Angel was clearly tarnished in BtVS S8 and after. Buffy/Spike was also tarnished because Spike stayed away from Buffy for so long and then left her for months after BtVS S8 and some time during BtVS S9 for no good reason. In addition, Buffy’s still having some feelings for Angel and Spike’s insecurities regarding Buffy/Angel have been damaging to Buffy/Spike.

The conclusion here is that Willow/Tara simply hasn’t been damaged post-BtVS S6 and the Buffy/Angel and Buffy/Spike relationships have been damaged post-BtVS S6.

* Regarding Question 12:

Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Spike are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. Again, the comics have been damaging to both relationships. However, post-“Home” (A 4.22), Angel clearly wants to be with Buffy. Post-“Chosen” (B 7.22), Spike’s stayed away from Buffy the vast majority of the time. Angel had sex with Nina after ‘knowing’ that Buffy is in a relationship with the Immortal. Spike’s at least twice had sex with Harmony Kendall when Spike knew that he could be with Buffy if he simply went to Buffy.

The takeaway regarding the results of this question is that somehow the events of post-BtVS S7 have affected Buffy/Spike and Buffy/Angel around equally in terms of the effect on the two ‘ships’s popularities.

* Regarding Question 15:

Here’s another example of BtVS S8 and after seeming to affect the popularity of related Buffy/Angel and Angel stuff. “Becoming Part II” (B 2.22) used to be the most popular Season Finale in the Buffyverse. Now perhaps more people wish that Angel had stayed in that hell dimension.

TimeTravellingBunny
28-06-15, 05:50 AM
Ah but you know the eps so well you could have a diversionary visit and just join an episode chat if you like. You never know it might motivate you to start your rewatch again. :p
I don't lack motivation, I just need time and effort to write all those reviews as quickly as possible... sadly, it always takes too much time, and I don't know if I'd be able to catch up. I'm afraid that if I join in, I'll stop even trying to write the reviews...

Stoney
28-06-15, 08:31 AM
Ah I can understand that completely. Oh well, you're still welcome as, when and if though of course.

Cordelia
27-08-15, 03:20 AM
There were some flaws in these polls; of the character choices for best reoccurring female character Faith was the only one who was actually reoccurring, Dawn, Anya, Tara and Cordelia all appeared in the opening credits at one point or another thus making them regulars. For this reason I almost chose faith but was still drawn to Cordelia even though I did not appreciate her at all the first time I watched BTVS hehe.

In the death that affected you most Angel should not have been an option, he never died.

Also who the hell is Parker Abrams, this character was mentioned multiple times but I have absolutely no memory of him.

I enjoyed this poll tough there were some answers lacking I would have liked (though one of said answers pertains to AtS while this was exclusively about BTVS otherwise I'm sure it would have been included...ok yeah you probably guessed it, it's the Cangel answer for couple with the most feels); for a the first like almost like ten questions I was consistently choosing the second highest voted answer. XD

@Stoney; I'm not at all surprised season 7 got the least votes for best season, it was a let down for me, a lot of build up to pretty much nothing.

Stoney
27-08-15, 05:37 AM
Parker Abrams was the guy that duped Buffy into sleeping with him when she first went to college in S4 and then snubbed her to move on to his next conquest.

Spike's S7 was strong though and he is a very popular character. The Spuffy of S7 was also well plotted. I know the potentials and The First, particularly the former, were definitely not good though. I also found Willow's S7 disappointing. I don't know, I think the season is probably still debatably better than S1 and S4. But then the Spike of it is a huge appeal for me, so I suppose it isn't that surprising I think that. :)

KingofCretins
27-08-15, 01:44 PM
Parker Abrams was the guy that duped Buffy into sleeping with him when she first went to college in S4 and then snubbed her to move on to his next conquest.

It's pretty amazing on reflection that even for this he really is nowhere near the top of the list of guys who mistreated Buffy.

Spike's S7 was strong though and he is a very popular character. The Spuffy of S7 was also well plotted. I know the potentials and The First, particularly the former, were definitely not good though. I also found Willow's S7 disappointing. I don't know, I think the season is probably still debatably better than S1 and S4. But then the Spike of it is a huge appeal for me, so I suppose it isn't that surprising I think that. :)

Think the Potentials were less problematic than the First, actually, but that's because they had made arbitrary rules about the First and stuck with them but didn't have the imagination to leverage the character into a scarier threat. Fan theories were way more interesting/frightening than what was actually delivered.

Jack Shaftoe
27-08-15, 09:12 PM
I'm so sad that Gwendolyn Post has only 500 votes in the best minor villain category.

Spike is a recurring character? I wish...

Dark Willow is the most liked Big Bad? I have never seen that on any BtvS forum to be honest.

Willow/Tara, Buffy/Angel, and Buffy/Spike are well within the margin of error considering this poll isn’t a random sampling. In ways, Willow/Tara simply hasn’t been tarnished by the comics.

You do realize that chances are that something like 95% of the people who voted in the polls probably don't even know these comics exist, let alone have their views shaped by reading said comics, right?

Cordelia
27-08-15, 09:12 PM

Ah, I'm vaugely remembering that now, thank you. I still knew the few voters who chose to ship Buffy with him had to be messing around! Clearly the poll maker was as well. XD

I'll agree that Spike's storyline and the Spuffy relationship were season 7's strongest points. It was in that final season right up to 'Chosen' that begun to get into Spike and to believe Spuffy. I believe 'Chosen' was starting to become the turning point in their relationship until it was sadly cut short by his sacrafice.
I did feel the Nikki/Robin Wood storyline had potential, it was an intriuging, solid idea but it didn't end up having much substance.
It was the potential army and the Willow/Kennedy storyline that fell flat for me.

Stoney
28-08-15, 02:19 AM
Think the Potentials were less problematic than the First, actually, but that's because they had made arbitrary rules about the First and stuck with them but didn't have the imagination to leverage the character into a scarier threat. Fan theories were way more interesting/frightening than what was actually delivered.

I know what you mean about The First being a disappointment. I wasn't in fandom at the time so I know zilch about fan theories. The thing is that I just found the potentials were just so goddam annoying and, wow, that 'ello gov'na accent was the pits, it really grated on my nerves. So you are right really that the First was more of a letdown in the story, but I still preferred watching it on screen to The Potentials.

vampmogs
28-08-15, 05:17 AM
One of the best fan ideas I've ever read about The First was having it appear as Spike, dressed exactly as he was in Seeing Red, appear in the bathroom as Buffy is about to have a bath and then torment her about the AR. If they made The First that cruel and distressing then it could have been a brilliant villain. Another popular idea was to have The First appear as Jenny to Giles to help drive a wedge between him and Buffy over Spike and what her relationship with Angel (another vampire) had cost them in the past.

But some ideas are more practical than others. For instance, the Jenny idea sounds great on paper but in-between S2-S3 Robia LaMorte became a Born Again Christian and was apparently very upset she had to play the BtVS-equviilant of 'Satan' in Amends, so there's no way she'd ever agree to play The First again in S7. Sometimes fans can be a bit impractical and unrealistic when it comes to their expectations.

I'm in two minds about the Potentials. I think if you're committed to the idea of wanting to end the series with Buffy sharing her power and not being the Chosen One anymore then they're inclusion in the season was necessary. The finale simply wouldn't have packed the same punch if we didn't know any of these Potentials. But that also means that it's unavoidable that you're going to have to include all these new characters which distract from the original characters most fans want to see in the show's finale season. I do think people would have been a little less resentful if the Potentials had been far more likable and well-written. I certainly don't think Buffy's leadership role should have been a walk in the park or that all the other characters should have always agreed with her on everything but I question why they decided to make characters like Rona or Kennedy so hostile and downright nasty. Rona in particular was written to be just angry and full of attitude from the moment she showed up with very little, if any, redeeming qualities.

I do think that the Potentials could have worked if the writing was better and the actresses had been more talented. A lot of them were bland and forgettable and their accents were atrocious. The actual ideas behind S7 are great. A war being waged on the Slayer line is a perfect way to wrap the series up and bring it back to its roots.

KingofCretins
28-08-15, 05:25 AM
The things I remember most were theories that Angel S4 and Buffy S7 were an unofficial crossover, that the two unfolding apocalypses were in fact the same one. Basically imagine Cordy being used to give birth to the First's own corporeal form and you're there.

Another was that the expectation was strong that, given the First's only prior appearance was all "big plans for Angel", up to and including taking credit for his return, that the First had some grand design for which a vampire with a soul was a mandatory component, and that's why the fascination with Spike. Instead, they opted for the First just doing things mostly for the lulz.

Silver1
28-08-15, 10:53 AM
I do think that the Potentials could have worked if the writing was better and the actresses had been more talented. A lot of them were bland and forgettable and their accents were atrocious. The actual ideas behind S7 are great. A war being waged on the Slayer line is a perfect way to wrap the series up and bring it back to its roots.

Agreed, but imo they would have worked better If the concept had been slowly bled into the show via earlier seasons. Either just touched on as a concept or something along those lines rather then try and cram even more into an already packed final season.

To be truthful I think many fans just wanted to concentrate on seeing more about the characters they're been invested in for the previous 6 years before the series finally ended rather then hit about the head with a whole new gang of faceless wonders, which imo is what we got.

MikeB
18-03-16, 03:00 AM
All caught up

Jack Shaftoe

* Most Buffyverse fans likely know the comics exist.

vampmogs

One of the best fan ideas I've ever read about The First was having it appear as Spike, dressed exactly as he was in Seeing Red, appear in the bathroom as Buffy is about to have a bath and then torment her about the AR. That would be one of the worst uses of the First Evil. Buffy still in “Him” (B 7.06) was little uncomfortable with Spike. Buffy in “Conservations With Dead People” (B 7.07) mentions the AR to Holden Webster. Buffy in “Sleeper” (B 7.08) seems to prefer the idea that Spike is killing women versus the idea that he’s having sex with other women. “Never Leave Me” (B 7.09) has Buffy telling Spike she believes in him and she’s almost completely ‘gotten past’ the AR. “Bring on the Night” (B 7.10) and “Showtime” (B 7.11) are largely about Buffy’s determination to get Spike back. At what point would the First Evil’s appearing as ‘AR Spike’ be useful?

Another popular idea was to have The First appear as Jenny to Giles to help drive a wedge between him and Buffy over Spike and what her relationship with Angel (another vampire) had cost them in the past. That idea is even sillier. The actual point that would be driven is Spike didn’t kill anyone close to the Scoobies and had helped them even when he was soulless.

Giles as-is in BtVS S7 is unreasonably opposed to Buffy/Spike.

MikeB
21-09-18, 07:17 PM
All caught up.

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

The results seem to have slightly changed over the years. I wonder if the comics have changed your regard for things.

SPOILER FOR RESULTS. Take the poll first or again. https://www.buzzfeed.com/caitlinjinks/buffy-forever#.biJbEXklDn

1. Which is the best season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

24%
13.4K votes
Season 3
21%
11.8K votes
Season 2
17%
9,553 votes
Season 5
12%
6,888 votes
Season 6
10%
5,425 votes
Season 1
10%
5,295 votes
Season 4
6%
3,370 votes
Season 7

2. Who is the best character from the original Scooby Gang?

33%
18.7K votes
Buffy Summers
32%
17.8K votes
Willow Rosenberg
21%
11.7K votes
Rupert Giles
14%
7,585 votes
Xander Harris

3. Who is the best recurring female character?

47%
25.9K votes
Anya Jenkins
21%
11.7K votes
Cordelia Chase
18%
9,868 votes
Faith Lehane
11%
5,740 votes
Tara Maclay
3%
1,803 votes
Dawn Summers

4. Who is the best recurring male character?

67%
37.1K votes
Spike
22%
12K votes
Angel
10%
5,390 votes
Daniel "Oz" Osbourne
1%
550 votes
Riley Finn

5. Who is the most underrated male character?

37%
19.2K votes
Andrew Wells
33%
16.9K votes
Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
19%
10.1K votes
Jonathan Levinson
6%
3,223 votes
Robin Wood
5%
2,449 votes
Warren Mears

6. Who is the most underrated female character?

39%
20.6K votes
Drusilla
26%
13.8K votes
Joyce Summers
14%
7,065 votes
Harmony Kendall
11%
5,785 votes
Jenny Calendar
7%
3,834 votes
Kendra Young
3%
1,352 votes
Kennedy

7. Which character is your least favourite?

30%
15.7K votes
Dawn Summers
22%
11.4K votes
Riley Finn
14%
7,421 votes
Kennedy
14%
7,398 votes
Principal Snyder
9%
4,822 votes
Veruca
8%
4,132 votes
Parker Abrams
3%
1,380 votes
Kathy Newman

8. Which "Once More, With Feeling" song do you love the most?

28%
13.7K votes
"Walk Through The Fire"
14%
7,009 votes
"Rest In Piece"
13%
6,411 votes
"Under Your Spell"
10%
4,864 votes
"Where Do We Go From Here?"
10%
4,714 votes
"I've Got A Theory"
9%
4,185 votes
"Going Through The Motions"
7%
3,668 votes
"I'll Never Tell"
6%
3,017 votes
"Something To Sing About"
3%
1,631 votes
"The Mustard"

9. Who is the greatest Big Bad?

22%
10.8K votes
Dark Willow
20%
10.1K votes
Glorificus
19%
9,656 votes
Angelus
11%
5,388 votes
The First Evil
10%
4,867 votes
Mayor Richard Wilkins
8%
4,065 votes
Spike and Drusilla
5%
2,584 votes
The Master
4%
2,102 votes
Caleb
1%
510 votes
Adam

10. Who is the best minor villain?

36%
17.5K votes
The Gentleman
23%
11.2K votes
Vampire Willow
16%
7,841 votes
The Trio
12%
5,729 votes
Darla
5%
2,636 votes
Dracula
3%
1,220 votes
Turok-Han (Ubervamps)
2%
1,209 votes
Ted
1%
600 votes
Sunday
1%
583 votes
Gwendolyn Post
1%
310 votes
Marcie Ross

11. Which couple gives you the most feels?

29%
14.3K votes
Willow and Tara
26%
13.0K votes
Buffy and Angel
26%
12.6K votes
Buffy and Spike
8%
3,871 votes
Willow and Oz
5%
2,588 votes
Xander and Anya
4%
2,030 votes
Giles and Jenny
1%
653 votes
Xander and Cordelia
1%
525 votes
Buffy and Riley
0%
132 votes
Willow and Kennedy

12. Who do you ship Buffy with?

50%
24.8K votes
Spike
45%
22.2K votes
Angel
3%
1,450 votes
Riley Finn
2%
815 votes
Parker Abrams, lol

13. Which death had the biggest impact on you?

48%
23.3K votes
Joyce Summers
16%
7,679 votes
Tara Maclay
9%
4,579 votes
Buffy Summers
9%
4,406 votes
Spike
7%
3,546 votes
Angel
7%
3,163 votes
Anya Jenkins
4%
1,684 votes
Jenny Calendar
0%
203 votes
Kendra Young

14. Which quote is the most memorable?

25%
11.8K votes
"Out for a walk. Bitch" - Spike.
21%
10.3K votes
"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live" - Buffy Summers.
13%
6,383 votes
"Bunnies, bunnies, it must be BUNNIES" - Anya Jenkins.
10%
4,766 votes
"I may be dead but I'm still pretty" - Buffy Summers.
10%
4,618 votes
"If the apocalypse comes, beep me" - Buffy Summers.
8%
3,979 votes
"That's my girl. Always doing the stupid thing" - Xander Harris.
7%
3,364 votes
"The earth is doomed" - Rupert Giles.
6%
2,755 votes
"I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking" - Buffy Summers.

15. Which season finale is the greatest?

25%
11.6K votes
"The Gift," season 5, episode 22
22%
10.0K votes
"Graduation Day (Part 2)," season 3, episode 22
18%
8,558 votes
"Chosen," season 7, episode 22
18%
8,300 votes
"Becoming (Part 2)," season 2, episode 22
7%
3,108 votes
"Grave," season 6, episode 22
6%
2,661 votes
"Prophecy Girl," season 1, episode 12
4%
1,855 votes
"Restless," season 4, episode 22

Priceless
21-09-18, 07:46 PM
Just voted in the poll, even though it's 3 years old, so not sure if it's even updating. Feel sorry that Dawn is so unloved and I hope that's changed over the years. She's less popular than Veruca and Parker Abrams :s

Stoney
22-09-18, 01:33 AM
Well opinions do shift. I only scanned a few of the initial comments and I was only placing S7 above 1 and 4 for definite and I think I love it more these days (I always liked the Spuffy/Spike of it of course). I wouldn't put the S2 finale above The Gift either now and I think Restless is one of the best of the whole series. So hopefully Dawn is more loved now. I think I appreciate all the character more all the time.