PDA

View Full Version : *waves*

Cassiopeia
24-06-15, 09:32 PM
i'm a very new buffy/angel series fan. i began watching the series for the first time less than two weeks ago. i'm in the middle of BTVS season 4, and angel season 1 (watching on netflix with a guide as to how to watch the episodes of each series 'in order' so that the storylines that mesh together, mesh together well), using this website as my guide: http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2009/04/buffyangel-episode-watching-guide.html. i'm going to do my best to not spoil myself for the episodes that i haven't yet seen, as i love the shock/awe/surprise of what has happened so far in each series.

i usually do not join discussion forums, but i have no one i can talk to about these shows in RL (despite my trying to convince my sister to watch both shows, but she's stubborn and un-cool, citing she 'doesn't like SMG' as her reason for not watching - i'm thinking maybe i need to show her some video of angel/boreanaz doing tai chi to convince her). she likes joss whedon's 'firefly', and i keep telling her BTVS is joss' 'baby' and required viewing, but again, she's un-cool about this right now). i've bought both series (complete) on DVD and those will be arriving this friday, so maybe when i rewatch it all over again i can convince her to watch with me. i just... i cannot stop watching the series right now. i haven't marathoned this hard in a long while lol

i 'ship angel/buffy (as my main OTP), but i'm open to other possibilities with them (well, maybe for buffy, my heart is set on angel only being with buffy, not sure anything is going to change that, i can be a bit stubborn about my OTPs). i'm curious to see how it all plays out (especially since angel has his own series...).

my favorite characters have to be: angel, spike, giles, and willow. but i like everyone else i've encountered so far (though i'm not yet sold on drusilla and riley)

ok, going to go look around, and i've got some fanart to share as well :)

Stoney
25-06-15, 05:19 AM
Hey Cassiopeia. Ah I wish you could join the rewatch as we are right at the end of S4 for BtVS (Superstar was the last reviewed) but we would spoil things for you as we are always referencing forward in the series and I TOTALLY support your choice to stay unspoiled. I watched BtVS straight through without knowing anything about the show and I got enjoy totally 'true' reactions to the storyline. I also am a really firm advocate of watching chronologically and don't agree with suggestions of watching key episodes to get you into a show, watch it as it was supposed to be seen, accept no substitute, ha. :biggrin1:

I watched AtS for the first time only a year ago (I'm rewatching it alongside the BtVS rewatch at the moment to try and see the match up in the themes between the two shows, so am up to Eternity). When I first watched it I ran a thread here to discuss each episode. Everyone knew I hadn't seen it and tried to only discussed forward events under spoiler tags so I could avoid being spoiled. I think only one time someone slipped and I didn't realise until I'd actually read it. So it doesn't come without any risk but if you opened a thread and stated that it was only to discuss the episode/topic you post about as and when you feel inclined as you go along and to not forward reference and spoil you, then you could get to chat about it as you watch. Totally up to you.

I am a total Spike fan. My other faves are Wesley and an AtS character you won't have met yet. AtS really gave me my love for Wes so I'll be interested to hear how your impression of him develops. I really like Angel's story too, so those four are probably my favourite. I won't mention the ships I like because that might clue you to some of the future events!! I would have said that Willow was a real favourite out of the overall cast, and I do still like her a lot, but this current rewatch is, surprisingly to me, really giving me a new appreciation of Xander who I had previously been quite critical and dismissive about but am considering more thoughtfully on this rewatch than I had the previous couple of times I've watched the show through. I'm with you on Dru/Riley.

It will be great to see your fanart too. I started doing fanart at the end of last year and am such a great big newbie! The people here are great though and really supportive. They have helped me no end to start to learn the program and explore ways to achieve what I'm trying to do. It would be great if you were able to join us but everyone is so used to BtVS/AtS being fully known that we don't spoiler tag pieces that are based on the shows. Current shows that are airing new seasons people will often put their art in spoilers if they are revealing plotlines. We run challenges that are fun ways to prompt your creative mood. If you go into the fanart area there is also a general chat thread (the Babbington's thread here (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20019-Grab-a-cuppa-and-join-our-Babbington-s-Chat/page7)). If you chat there and pm the host of a challenge I suspect a request could be included to spoiler any BtVS/AtS pieces and then you could join in those if you fancy it. Remaining unspoiled for shows always takes developing the skill for sensing things going into unchartered zones I've discovered. I'm currently only on S2 of Game of Thrones and have learnt to avert my eyes when I see pieces for that, ha.

Anyway, it will be good to see you around the board and if you have any questions about anything general or fanart related then please do feel free to drop me a visitor message or pm. The mods here are really helpful if you want official help with anything. :)

Cassiopeia
28-06-15, 07:44 PM
hi stoney!

i think i might take up your suggestion to start my own watch thread for the series. i did succeed in getting my sister to watch season 1 this weekend (we're starting s2 today), and she likes it (i knew she would!)! haha! she just hates spoilers or even vague hints at spoilers, so i have to keep my mouth shut as we watch :)

i loved wesley in BTVS, so i was so happy to see him show up in AtS :) giddy really, still am. i'm into s2 of that series now, and loving gunn too :)

i can't tell you how happy i am that i'm finally getting into these shows. someone told me that they weren't sure anyone could really love the series if they didn't watch it as it first aired on TV, but i don't believe that because i'm in love with these shows. BTVS/AtS are quickly rising to the top of my 'best shows ever' list.

i'm probably going to not lurk as much in the threads since - as you said - spoilers aren't really 'spoilers' anymore since the shows have been over for well over a decade, and i like not knowing what is going to happen. i did post two of my fanarts in one of the fanart threads. i have some caps i'm going to play with to do more collages.

which reminds me, are there any really good, full episode, screen capture sites for AtS? i found buffy caps, but anything 'angel' is only really headshots of DB, and i like to mix in 'stock' shots/2nd unit shots into my artwork :)

Stoney
29-06-15, 12:37 AM
hi stoney!

i think i might take up your suggestion to start my own watch thread for the series.

I'll keep an eye out for it. :)

i did succeed in getting my sister to watch season 1 this weekend (we're starting s2 today), and she likes it (i knew she would!)! haha! she just hates spoilers or even vague hints at spoilers, so i have to keep my mouth shut as we watch :)

Ha. When I first watched the show my husband was watching it with me but he kept going to bed and I'd just keep watching and then have to rewatch those episodes with him again the next day and I was always stopping myself saying annoying things like "you've got to listen to this bit", all that kind of annoying prompting, as if he wasn't already sat doing that anyway. The current rewatch I'm doing is only the third time I've watched the series but there are some episodes where it is the fourth because of watching twice for some that first time. :p

i loved wesley in BTVS, so i was so happy to see him show up in AtS :) giddy really, still am. i'm into s2 of that series now, and loving gunn too :)

I didn't mind Wes in BtVS but he really comes into his own in AtS with a really interesting progressive story.

i can't tell you how happy i am that i'm finally getting into these shows. someone told me that they weren't sure anyone could really love the series if they didn't watch it as it first aired on TV, but i don't believe that because i'm in love with these shows. BTVS/AtS are quickly rising to the top of my 'best shows ever' list.

Well I only watched it about five years ago and never watched any of it on tv when it aired and it is definitely my favourite show and Spike is my favourite fictional character. So yeah, you can definitely come to it later and love it loads.

i'm probably going to not lurk as much in the threads since - as you said - spoilers aren't really 'spoilers' anymore since the shows have been over for well over a decade, and i like not knowing what is going to happen. i did post two of my fanarts in one of the fanart threads. i have some caps i'm going to play with to do more collages.

which reminds me, are there any really good, full episode, screen capture sites for AtS? i found buffy caps, but anything 'angel' is only really headshots of DB, and i like to mix in 'stock' shots/2nd unit shots into my artwork :)

I take virtually all of my caps from the PAAP (Pretty as a Picture) site or I go on Daydreaming. If you look at this (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?19918-Masterpost-for-Beginners) thread which Nina did as a masterpost to help beginners it lists and links sites for stocks and caps. Hopefully that will direct you. I'll go and have a nosey at your art. :)

Nina
29-06-15, 09:34 AM
Hey Cassiopeia :wave:

Good to see that BtVS and Ats are still being discovered and loved by new viewers. I would love to see you around in the fanart section, so I hope you come and pay us a visit.
I wish you a lot of fun with the shows and here on the forum. ^^

HisMRS
29-06-15, 08:22 PM
Hey and welcome to the board!! Hope you like it here!

Cassiopeia
11-07-15, 02:54 AM
stoney,
thanks for the link to the thread "masterpost" that will be useful for me. i just finished buffy s5 and angel s2 last night, omgosh. and my sister finished s2 tonight - y'all should hear her watch the show lol in the first season she was all 'it's ok', and by mid-s2 (around eps: surprise, innocence, passion) she was talking to the TV/the characters, when angel lost his soul her words were a meak squeaky "oh no" lol, and by the s2 finale episode omgosh! she said "yay! he got his soul back... wait... behind you... guys... behind you... why aren't you telling him... wait.... wha... oh no!" lol she's hooked. i couldn't get her to watch s3 tonight because she wants to enjoy the cliffhanger (when i got to s2 finale, i think i stayed up extra late to watch a couple eps of s3!). i still need to make my own 'watch thread', but i'm thinking i'll just start with s1 and comment on some episodes, but then again... i'm quickly moving into s6btvs and s3ats here so it might be a mixed bag of older seasons and the seasons i'm on lol

nina/hismrs,
thanks for the welcome! i do plan on making more btvs/ats artwork, just need to find the time! i'm going to attempt to try a collage tonight :)

also, i started my 'watch' thread:
http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?20143-my-first-time-watching-BTVS-amp-AtS

Cordelia
18-07-15, 04:30 AM
Cassiopeia
Welcome. I'm a newer fan myself, having only started watching first AtS and then BTVS two years ago and then finished the last seasons of both in the past two months (I'd been reluctant to watch the 5th season of AtS for reasons I can not disclose without giving away major spoilers and BTVS simply hadn't held my interest so much since it's 4th season).

I'd started with AtS for two reasons.
1.) It had come to my attention that an actor I like was in an episode (Season 4's "Shiney Happy People", again major spoilers if I go into detail and actually I'd initially mistaken him for being in season 2).

2.) My mother used to watch it when it aired in re-runs at the ungodly like 6:30-7am. There was a particular morning when I'd actually been up at the right time for once, I believe it was the first day of my first volunteer job and my mother had wanted me to hang in her bedroom while I ate my breakfast. On her TV an episode of AtSwas playing, I believe season 3's 'That Old Gang of Mine' and it had caught my interest. So I decided to watch.

I didn't initially have any near future plans to watch BTVS but when I got to the Faith episodes in first season of AtS the references were hard to follow and that was when I realized that there was a lot going on in relation to BTVS that I needed to know. I'd noticed references before that point that I didn't understand but the Faith arc was where it had impared my ability to follow the show as a whole.
So I put AtS on pause and switched to BTVS. I believe I went back to AtS at season 4 of BTVS. Right away season 4 of BTVS came across to me as kinda bleh and I missed my Angel.

Angel is my favorite character along with Cordelia the way she developed and the relationship she has with Angel on AtS which you have yet to see but let me just say it's astounding and beautiful.

(I'm still trying to figure out how it was only when I'd watched BTVS that I thought of Netflix, somehow even after I'd returned to AtS after BTVS I'd streamed AtS through season 4 on my laptop and illegal internet streaming is a pain in the patookie!).

I really enjoy meeting other folks joining the fandom late. Not that I have anything against the awesome originals. ;) It's just nice to know I'm not alone.

I saw your wallpapers by the way in the fanart thread and though I'm not a Bangel fan I found them gorgeous! I basically said the same thing over there so sorry for being redundent but I'd been over there first posting a piece of my own.

I didn't mind Wes in BtVS but he really comes into his own in AtS with a really interesting progressive story.

I'm in complete agreement with this statement. Cordelia and Wesley are the most astoundingly evolved characters in both shows. I prefer them both in AtS though.

BTW, love the new banner and Avi (new to me anyway, you had a different Spike theme when I was last here).

Stoney
18-07-15, 08:05 AM
BTW, love the new banner and Avi (new to me anyway, you had a different Spike theme when I was last here).

Thanks Cordelia, they are very recent changes. My other sig was the first fanart piece I did and as I learnt more about Photoshop my old sig bugged me more and more for a whole heap of reasons. I was always going to stick with Spike though, by far the most interesting/developed character for me. :biggrin1: It'll be great to see you back over on the challenges/fanart threads again.

Cordelia
18-07-15, 09:29 AM
A lot of my older, rookie art bugs me as well, same with my older writing.
I haven't been very successful in the challenges but I do enjoy...well the challenge. XD