PDA

View Full Version : Buffy and red bed sheets?

BloodyHell
28-06-14, 05:47 PM
I'm guessing this has been discussed somewhere before...heck, probably every topic on the shows has been mulled over a million times. But I'm super slow on the uptake, and I just noticed that when Buffy sleeps with Angel, the sheets are dark red. When Buffy sleeps with Parker, they are dark red. And the sheets are dark red when she wakes up for the first time with Riley, right? Were they ever red with Spike?

Why is this? Has Joss talked about this choice before? Is it connecting all Buffy's initial sexual experiences with different guys, to her first time with Angel? I just watched The Harsh Light of Day, and I definitely got that feeling when she woke up with the red sheets in Parker's room. It was just echoing the whole experience she had with Angel: sleep with a guy, and everything falls apart.

So for all the people who noticed this years ago :D what were your thoughts on that? What do the red sheets represent?

Yosso
30-06-14, 03:17 PM
I've never noticed this! Well spotted! My very basic interpretation would be that for Buffy sex is passionate, yes, but leads to misery/darkness and often death. Whenever Buffy has sex in the first four seasons a lot of the time something bad happens during or in the aftermath. I'm not sure if I entirely like Joss' sex=bad undertones when it comes to Buffy (not for Willow or Xander though), it's not all that healthy an approach. So I suppose that's what the red sheets probably symbolise for Buffy. A precursor for the bloodbath that is to come, either metaphorical or literal.

TimeTravellingBunny
30-06-14, 05:41 PM
Red color symbolizes, among other things, passion, desire, love, but also danger, violence, war; fire and blood, in all their different implications.
Although it does not symbolize death; interestingly, in Chinese tradition it means joy, while white means death and sadness (in European/American tradition, death = black).

Rihannon
01-07-14, 12:11 AM
Hmm... I kind of remember that Spike's sheets are usually white, at least during his season 6 affair with Buffy. I guess I'll pay more attention to sheet colors now that we're doing the rewatch.

HisMRS
01-07-14, 03:00 AM
Wow, I've never noticed this before, either. Her red shirt in the scenes with Joyce in Season 5, yes, but never the bedsheets...

I've never noticed this! Well spotted! My very basic interpretation would be that for Buffy sex is passionate, yes, but leads to misery/darkness and often death. Whenever Buffy has sex in the first four seasons a lot of the time something bad happens during or in the aftermath. I'm not sure if I entirely like Joss' sex=bad undertones when it comes to Buffy (not for Willow or Xander though), it's not all that healthy an approach. So I suppose that's what the red sheets probably symbolise for Buffy. A precursor for the bloodbath that is to come, either metaphorical or literal.

I agree with Yosso. ^^ I think for Buffy, sex is an act of passionate and romance, and that may be why the sheets are red in those scenes. We all know that the wardrobe department and writers worked together to symbolize things with colors before (Willow wearing white to go kill the deer in Bargaining, and then wearing black when she returns with the deer's blood, to symbolize her journey to the dark side of magic), so it's entirely possible that there is some unknown hidden meaning to the red sheets.

Stoney
01-07-14, 06:07 PM
Were they ever red with Spike?

Well the sheets in Gone were definitely white. Of course Buffy/Spike were often not bed based but the red sheet thing I am pretty sure never holds true for them. The rug patterning I remember as deep colours, which probably included reds, but other than that I think when Buffy dreams of Spike in Dead Things it is with normal sheets in her bed and also when it shifts to him cuffed and in As You Were I think they are under a ratty blanket when Riley comes. Other than that it was all al fresco as I remember. I would agree with what has been said though, that generally red sheets would be used for passion/desire/love or danger/violence. I think Spike/Buffy in S6 had a mix of all of those going on but they also had a comfort and safety with each other which is kind of where it all started so the random mix, take as you are ad hoc settings works in a way red sheets for them would not have done perhaps.

MikeB
17-07-14, 08:22 AM
* Most people who have red sheets have them because red equals desire and sex.

Anyway, Angel’s having red sheets is likely because he wanted to have sex with Buffy and so he had red sheets. Although, to be fair, the ‘bed cover’, the pillowcases, and the ‘bottom sheet’ were all white. It’s just the top sheet or comforter or whatever that’s red.

Parker Abrams has red sheets for the obvious reason that he’s a womanizer and red sheets equals desire and sex.

Riley Finn’s had red sheets likely because he wanted to have sex with Buffy and red sheets equals desire and sex.

Spike and Drusilla bed in BtVS S2 had white sheets. Spike’s bed has a similar color scheme in BtVS S2 that he does in BtVS S2. With Harmony in BtVS S5, his comforter was a pinkish color or whatever and his sheets were pinkish.

Yosso

* Buffy didn’t choose the color scheme of Angel’s bed, Parker’s bed, Riley’s bed, or Spike’s bed. The color of the sheets wouldn’t mean anything to Buffy other than she would probably know (if only in hindsight) what having red sheets says about those she had sex with who had red sheets.

- Buffy’s bed has white sheets and a white comforter.

BloodyHell
19-07-14, 03:41 AM
I'm not sure I agree Mike. I mean, yes, the red sheets COULD reflect on the guys who have them on their bed, but I think on a show like BtVS they can - and very likely do - have a deeper, or at least layered, meaning from Joss.

Although Angel's sheets aren't actually red, the red bed cover features heavily in Buffy's dream/remembrance of their night together.

If it is as simple as "the red means the guys wanted to have sex", Spike would have had red everywhere!

Maybe Buffy's white sheets represent the innocence and purity that she has held on to. Or maybe she just likes white. :P

MikeB
13-08-14, 12:48 AM
BloodyHell

If it is as simple as "the red means the guys wanted to have sex", Spike would have had red everywhere! That’s not what I said. Spike didn’t need red sheets to consider he could elicit desire in someone.

Yosso
24-08-14, 02:41 AM
Yosso

* Buffy didn’t choose the color scheme of Angel’s bed, Parker’s bed, Riley’s bed, or Spike’s bed. The color of the sheets wouldn’t mean anything to Buffy other than she would probably know (if only in hindsight) what having red sheets says about those she had sex with who had red sheets.

- Buffy’s bed has white sheets and a white comforter.

I didn't mean Buffy deliberately set out to have sex on red sheets, but as Buffy is a constructed work of fiction I just think it could be what the writers/directors/costume designers were thinking when building the set - red sheets equal desire/passion/bloodshed. That's the interpretation I get from it

MikeB
25-09-14, 02:22 AM
Yosso

* Well, in terms of set design and lighting, the red sheets and red filter helps with making the sex scenes look ‘hot’.

* But characters are buying red sheets. And people get red sheets for the same reason some paint their bedroom red. Red equals desire and sex in that context.

Carbonara
11-07-17, 12:02 PM
Hi, I am from Australia and I am also looking for the quilt coves along with the sheets. possible?