PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Clavus
14-05-14, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I've been a "lurker" on BV for about a year now, and finally decided to take the plunge and participate more actively on the forum. I've really been impressed with the depth of thought and analysis people are prepared to lavish on the shows.

I've come to Buffy and Angel fairly recently having missed the original airing of the shows. I started out being completely blown away by the movie "Serenity" and just knew I absolutely loved Joss Whedon's way of storytelling. So from "Serenity" I advanced to "Firefly", loved that show and then traced my way back through his work including marathons of "Dollhouse", "Buffy" and "Angel".

I ended up a big fan of both "Buffy" and "Angel" with Spike definitely my favorite character because of the fabulous range he got in the the progress of the story arc on both shows. I also like Angel, Drusilla, Willow, Tara, Giles, Joyce, Anya, Fred, Wes and Lorne.

Other current shows I like are "The Americans", "Fargo", "Warehouse 13", "Metal Hurlant Chronicles" and "Defiance".

I really look forward to discussing the shows and their characters with others here.

HisMRS
14-05-14, 01:59 AM
Hey and welcome to the forum!! :)

Ehlwyen
14-05-14, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I've been a "lurker" on BV for about a year now, and finally decided to take the plunge and participate more actively on the forum. I've really been impressed with the depth of thought and analysis people are prepared to lavish on the shows.

I've come to Buffy and Angel fairly recently having missed the original airing of the shows. I started out being completely blown away by the movie "Serenity" and just knew I absolutely loved Joss Whedon's way of storytelling. So from "Serenity" I advanced to "Firefly", loved that show and then traced my way back through his work including marathons of "Dollhouse", "Buffy" and "Angel".

I ended up a big fan of both "Buffy" and "Angel" with Spike definitely my favorite character because of the fabulous range he got in the the progress of the story arc on both shows. I also like Angel, Drusilla, Willow, Tara, Giles, Joyce, Anya, Fred, Wes and Lorne.

Other current shows I like are "The Americans", "Fargo", "Warehouse 13", "Metal Hurlant Chronicles" and "Defiance".

I really look forward to discussing the shows and their characters with others here.

Congratulations on delurking! :celebration: I hope you have a great time finally getting to do some hands on discussion! :heart:

That's an interesting story of finding your way to Buffy and Angel! It's always great to know that the shows still bring such passion to new viewers.:D

The Americans is such an intriguing show in how high the stakes are while still maintaining semblance of ordinary lives. The horror and brutality quietly tucked underneath the surface. I'm really excited about the new season of Defiance about to start! So how is the Metal Hurlant Chronicles going? I watched the first couple and had a lot of mixed feelings on whether it was cool or I hated it. A strange combo of emotions indeed.

Clavus
14-05-14, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome! I'm looking forward to being here!

The Americans is such an intriguing show in how high the stakes are while still maintaining semblance of ordinary lives. The horror and brutality quietly tucked underneath the surface. I'm really excited about the new season of Defiance about to start! So how is the Metal Hurlant Chronicles going? I watched the first couple and had a lot of mixed feelings on whether it was cool or I hated it. A strange combo of emotions indeed.

Agreed - I also like that The Americans has really no 100% likeable or hateful characters. Everyone comes in shades of grey and everyone captures some degree of sympathy and revulsion.

Yes, really looking forward to the new season of Defiance, want to see where it takes our cast of characters...

As for Metal Hurlant, it is a mixed bag, kind of reminds me of the old Twilight Zone. I've always loved sci-fi short stories, especially from the heyday of that genre: Ellison, Baxter, Dick, Anderson etc. and the episodes capture that spirit. Some are just a big tour-de-force building up to some clever/ gruesome ending, some are really nice studies in human psychology under extreme conditions. So far they always seem pretty darn dark and are all tied together by a rogue comet going through shaking things up for all or some of the characters, usually for the worse. They've also got themselves a nice and varied cast. I keep sitting there: wasn't that guy on Stargate Atlantis? Where did I see her?

The two episodes that have Marsters in them are good, especially "Shelter Me". I won't spoil you if you haven't seen it, but I loved the complete ambiguity he brought to his role in that one. The other one "Whiskey in the Jar" is more laid out for the final shock value.

Ehlwyen
14-05-14, 03:44 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome! I'm looking forward to being here!

Agreed - I also like that The Americans has really no 100% likeable or hateful characters. Everyone comes in shades of grey and everyone captures some degree of sympathy and revulsion.
Yes! It is strong writing and acting to feel attachment to characters with flaws and traits you despise. I also wonder if which characters you find most unlikeable is a reflecton of your own values. Stan has really lost my respect with how he has used his job and patriotism as an excuse to shut his wife out emotionally and bully Nina. While Phillip's devotion to Elizabeth even when she doesnt reciprocate makes him my favorite character.

Yes, really looking forward to the new season of Defiance, want to see where it takes our cast of characters...

As for Metal Hurlant, it is a mixed bag, kind of reminds me of the old Twilight Zone. I've always loved sci-fi short stories, especially from the heyday of that genre: Ellison, Baxter, Dick, Anderson etc. and the episodes capture that spirit. Some are just a big tour-de-force building up to some clever/ gruesome ending, some are really nice studies in human psychology under extreme conditions. So far they always seem pretty darn dark and are all tied together by a rogue comet going through shaking things up for all or some of the characters, usually for the worse. They've also got themselves a nice and varied cast. I keep sitting there: wasn't that guy on Stargate Atlantis? Where did I see her?

The two episodes that have Marsters in them are good, especially "Shelter Me". I won't spoil you if you haven't seen it, but I loved the complete ambiguity he brought to his role in that one. The other one "Whiskey in the Jar" is more laid out for the final shock value.

Oh, yeah, I loved old Twilight Zone and the strengths that come with short story writing. With Metal Hurlant I didnt know what it was and assumed it was something else. I appreciated the dark twists and bleakness. But I felt betrayal that I had tried to invest emotionally in characters that just dropped like flies because I didnt realize it was an anthology of separate stories. I knew I needed time to reevaluate and rein in my emotions. It can be good storytelling to surprise people. However, if it is overdone or done with purpose to jerk the audience around rather than for strong plot then I emotionally drop out.

So do characters and plotlines eventually reappear and converge (since you say Marsters is in multiple eps)? Or is it largely standalones where the story is told in the ep? It's dawning on me that it is a comet passing overhead rather than a meteor in a straight path. Lol, I kept expecting it to crash and then wondered how many episodes that it could possibly stay in the sky. Doh! :lol: Yeah, that makes a difference how I understand the series.

Stoney
14-05-14, 04:04 PM
Hi Clavus. We are currently doing a BtVS rewatch if you want to come and join in discussing the episodes, the more the merrier. :xd

We are on S2 and have just watched The Dark Age. The thread is here (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?19794-BtVS-rewatch-SEASON-2) (there are links to the starting posts for each episode at the bottom of that first post). See you around the board.