PDA

View Full Version : Are Buffyverse Characters Stereotypes?

MikeB
26-11-13, 02:56 AM
Nina

[S]tereotypes [are] sadly enough … a long tradition in the Buffyverse. (Irish characters are addicted to alcohol, gypsies want their revenge, women can't drive, Italians are well-dressed mobsters and the British are stiff -until they spend some time in the USA or become a vampire-.) So of course the only black main character in the Buffyverse is going to be poor, without parents and a gangster [describing the introduction of Gunn in AtS]. http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showpost.php?p=657923&postcount=339

I don’t recall Liam or Doyle being alcoholics. They liked to drink, which isn’t the same thing. Angel didn’t seem to drink at all. Spike was the one shown getting drunk. Would it have been better for the Gypsies to dust Angel? Also, these were Gypsies in 1898. Buffy was the only ‘bad driver’ and that’s simply because it seems Joyce was very reluctant to get Buffy a car. Anya was only initially bad because she had never driven before. Those Italians were the Immortal’s minions: they weren’t mobsters. Should they have been dressed poorly? Giles and Wesley were Watchers. And they are far less ‘stiff’ than those like Principal Synder, Professor Maggie Walsh, government officials that we see, etc. Angel was trying to “help the helpless”. It’s interesting and telling that apparently he didn’t initially bother to see if the homeless population needed his help. And it was useful to see how money and success can corrupt (though I consider Gunn’s arc is because of Jasmine). And, of course, we have Gunn initially deriding Cordy for being a ‘skinny white pretty girl’ and then his later having the love of his life being a ‘skinny white pretty girl’.

bloodmagick
15-02-14, 03:51 PM
I tend to agree, but you always see growth and development in these characters that the stereotype they start as vanishes almost entirely (Willow, a nerdy jewish girl with a crush turns into a powerful witch).

No one ends up the same as they started, but there is a lack of diversity and overuse of stereotypes in Joss' work. Always.