PDA

View Full Version : Random Guessing at the identity of Twilight

KingofCretins
11-12-07, 05:40 AM
I don't know what set this idea going, but it's kinda funny and seems just barely plausible in a nutty way.

Let me lay out some evidence for the whackiness.

We know that Twilight appears to be at least slightly created as an homage to the Hood, or might be... a character that is basically always a regular guy using the props that give him the powers.
Joss has mentioned the Big Bad being an old character, but I don't remember him ever saying a returning villain.
Dark Horse is the sole exclusive publisher of the old Buffy comics (non-canon), as well as the quasi-canon adaptation of the Buffy movie to fit the show's canon, called "Origins".

So... my nutty guess for a secret identity to the man behind the mask is...

Oliver Pike!

Yeah, Buffy's erstwhile pre-Scooby slaybuddy and almost boyfriend from Hemery, the guy who decided the whole slaying deal was too much and ditched her before she ever got to Sunnydale.

Through some kind of super-natural misadventure, he comes into possession of the Nisanti demon toys that give the Hood its powers (same basic premise as Twilight, after all) and takes them, and decides to, y'know, be evil and rid the world of magic.

It certainly would tie this story to Buffy pretty interestingly, and be a nice shout-out to Dark Horse, so courteously producing this comic for Joss, for having taken the time to develop the character.

That's my random guess :)

Feel free to chime in with the most bizarre explanation of who Twilight is, as weird as you like, just make it sound believable :)

Wolfie Gilmore
11-12-07, 11:10 AM
I think it's Bob from Twin Peaks. And the last issue will be called: "Walk through the fire walk with me" :D

Seriously though, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea. But I'll come back with a truly random guess soon.

Tom
11-12-07, 05:29 PM
I know we saw Ethan with a bullet in his head, but what does that really mean in the Buffyverse? I could see Ethan behind the mask of Twilight. After all, Twilight didn't mind loosing Roden or Gevine, so maybe Ethan helping Buffy is a sign that he don't mind loosing Amy or Warren? I could see Ethan behind the mask.

Vampire in Rug
12-12-07, 09:00 AM
^^^

That would be absolutly awesome. The only problem with that is that Ethan died a natural death. While the Buffyverse has had more than it's fair share of resurections, they've all been supernatural death's. The only way I could buy ethan coming back was if he was really a vampire or demon the whole time. Even that would be kinda hokey.

Besides, we've seen that General Voll is devoted to twighlight, so much in fact that he has the mark scarred accross his chest. So why would he keep Ethan locked in a cell, and then murder him, worried that Ethan might be a help to Buffy.

vampmogs
12-12-07, 10:01 AM
^^^

That would be absolutly awesome. The only problem with that is that Ethan died a natural death. While the Buffyverse has had more than it's fair share of resurections, they've all been supernatural death's. The only way I could buy ethan coming back was if he was really a vampire or demon the whole time. Even that would be kinda hokey.

Besides, we've seen that General Voll is devoted to twighlight, so much in fact that he has the mark scarred accross his chest. So why would he keep Ethan locked in a cell, and then murder him, worried that Ethan might be a help to Buffy.

I could be wrong but I think King meant that this was all a set up to throw Buffy off the scent. Like his death was just an act, he never actually died. Personally I don't see it happening but it is a nice theory.

I'm not sure who Twilight could be. Because of the military ties I'm thinking Riley but then not only is that too obvious in that respect but I see no reason for Riley to ever do or want this. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me, plus he can't fly :D So I'm struggling right now.

Wolfie Gilmore
12-12-07, 10:24 AM
I don't think it is a returning villain, actually, I reckon he was talking about Warren and Amy re returning bad dudes (don't think he said Big Bad?)- and I hope it's not, because I'm ready for a cool new big bad after the disappointment of The WOrst Evil. But, assuming that it is a returner...

...I'd be interested if it was someone from the Initiative - always thougth Graham had the potential to be a bit creepy, with his too-perfect looks and po-faced demeanour. But I don't think he's clever enough. Plus, can't fly.

...Heh, how about Olivia. Erm...post-op? After being freaked out by Giles and magic and stuff, she goes on a quest to wipe it all out.

Ok, i got nothing. Must think more...can't remember any old villains who are still alive, racking my brains.

NileQT87
12-12-07, 11:43 AM
i'm still hoping its warren gone all-over spandex (hey, he's a nerd--nerds read superhero comics) to be his new skin. it would explain the no-face look.

my other idea? "lineage"'s good-guy bad guys that tried to eliminate a good guy, angel--and a clear case of being programmed to hate vampires and not see any gray area (remember the reaction that faux-roger had to spike and angel?). it fits in well with an organization that doesn't see the gray area--just black and white. it would be a nice twist that all non-humans are considered targets to eliminate. and come to think of it--the three characters that faux-roger didn't like were: spike, angel and lorne--the three non-humans. faux-roger almost had no problem with the humans really, other than opportunities to get to angel.

(and am i the only one who can't think of wesley's dad without thinking of leopold mozart? roy dotrice played leopold in "amadeus"--and it's basically the exact same character--really unlikable fathers unhappy with their sons' choice of companions/activities--complete with prodigy sons who benefited from their fathers' expertise at early ages. one of the most hilarious in-joke castings ever. it's almost worth a fanvid.)

Wolfie Gilmore
12-12-07, 11:46 AM
(and am i the only one who can't think of wesley's dad without thinking of leopold mozart? roy dotrice played leopold in amadeus--and it's basically the exact same character complete with prodigy sons.)

Oh my god, that's him? That is soooooooo cool!

Angel villains might be fun, though somehow seems unlikely (erm...not that Olivia is likely!). Can anyone name some Buffy villains who aren't dead yet, having trouble actually thinking of anyone at all!

vampmogs
12-12-07, 11:52 AM
Buffy villains who aren't dead yet...

Hmmm...

Dru: So freakin unlikely but it is funny to imagine her under that costume lol

Gorch: Again totally unlikely

Dracula: I'd say pretty unlikely as well, only reason I'm not completely ruling it out is for the flying thing which I presume Dracula can do? But is highly unlikely.

... that is all I can think of for now and I don't see any of them being likely at all.

One thing that has come to mind though... are we thinking Twilight is supernatural because he flies or he is using some kind of technology to fly? I got the impression he wants to wipe out all magic, kinda hypercritical if he is using it to walk on air huh?

Tom
12-12-07, 06:21 PM
^^^

Fair point. But, we also know that Joss planned to bring Tara back in one of the final episodes of Season 7. I personally think this shows that Joss doesn't mind avoiding his own rules and opens the floor to anybody being under the mask of Twilight. Provided there is anybody under the mask at all. And if Twilight is so against magic, why is he using what appears to be a mystical symbol? Could him wanting to whipe out the age of magic be a metphor to whiping out the mystically activated Slayers?

Wolfie Gilmore
12-12-07, 06:31 PM
Buffy villains who aren't dead yet...

Hmmm...

Dru: So freakin unlikely but it is funny to imagine her under that costume lol

Heeee! For the WIN! I wish we'd had her back instead of Amy and Warren. :(

One thing that has come to mind though... are we thinking Twilight is supernatural because he flies or he is using some kind of technology to fly? I got the impression he wants to wipe out all magic, kinda hypercritical if he is using it to walk on air huh?

Jetpacks...maybe it IS Warren ;)

KingofCretins
12-12-07, 06:37 PM
It's possible that it's Willy the Bartender, isn't it? Or maybe the teacher at Sunnydale that played Hangman?

Actually, they could go with Robin, that would be pretty intense.

Shin
12-12-07, 08:03 PM
It's Amy's father, so sick of the fact that his wife was an insane witch and his daughter just turned into one, that he wants to get rid of it!

or:
It's Haromy, she escaped out of LA just in time and is now sick of being a vampire and decides to just end magic and make the world full of those fluffy unicorns instead.

or:
It's the Doc, who wants to take revenge on all the slayers, because of what the Scoobie gang did to his Glorificus.

or:
It's the last Übervamp who is sad because he is all alone now.

Wolfie Gilmore
13-12-07, 10:57 AM
Martha stewart. She's technically part of the Buffyverse after all, as Anya mentioned her. Wasn't she a witch?

vampmogs
13-12-07, 12:57 PM
Martha stewart. She's technically part of the Buffyverse after all, as Anya mentioned her. Wasn't she a witch?

Gosh Wolfie don't be so silly. Martha Stewart is a witch remember, so why would she want to end all magic! :p

Maybe it is Larry, he's come back from the beyond to kill all magics including all the slayers so he has Xander all alone to himself :D

Tom
13-12-07, 04:04 PM
IMO I'm not convinced that ending magic is what Twilight intends on doing. At the moment I feel its a metaphor for the "age of Slayers". He watns to whipe out the magically activated Slayers.

Wolfie Gilmore
13-12-07, 04:11 PM
Gosh Wolfie don't be so silly. Martha Stewart is a witch remember, so why would she want to end all magic! :p

She doesn't. She just wants to wipe out all other magic-users and slayers, so she can be queen of the world. Of course, she'll have to get past Nigella Lawson first...

Dorian's Kitten
13-12-07, 04:25 PM
Maybe it is one of those crazy monks that made Dawn-they certainly seem to have an affection for Day-related names. Maybe the whole point is to get rid of the slayers so that they can get their energy ball back. They gave her to a slayer not only because a slayer could protect her but because a slayer would only be able to protect her for a short time (limited life span).

or it could be Dawn's new boyfriend. :)

I just think it is Dawn's fault today.

Anon
13-12-07, 04:29 PM
IMO I'm not convinced that ending magic is what Twilight intends on doing. At the moment I feel its a metaphor for the "age of Slayers". He watns to whipe out the magically activated Slayers.Actually I think Twilight does want to wipe out magic and demons. I just don't think that whatever else this does or involves will be particuarly nice.

I'll guess Roger Wyndam-Price for Twilight.

tangent
13-12-07, 04:34 PM
I definitely think Twilight is someone we already know or i see no purpose for the mask. To me the mask is there so we can get a reveal later on of just who this baddy is but also says we're gonna get to see twilight in action (i.e fighting) so they couldn't get away with the whole view from behind - glimpse of the torso down sort of approach.

As for who it is - Well I sorta see Twilight as someone who is manipulative and clever and who wants to be the only one who has any magical ability (dude can fly, I'm betting magic user.) and is power hungry.

So brearing that in mind i'm betting:- The Mayors conciousness in a new body (been done in novels i think), Glory's conciousness-ditto, or just possibly, and i wouldn't like it, Giles is the one arranging things.

Koos
13-12-07, 10:33 PM
Twilight might be ADAM. Magic is the only thing that can stop him. This gives him a motive Also the way he talked to the woman is similar to how ADAM would. She was rather disrespectful to Twilight, but he didn't care. Neither would ADAM. And the last argument I can bring up is the fact that a faction of the military is involved and also see Twilight as their leader.

KingofCretins
13-12-07, 10:36 PM
Because Twilight, so far, doesn't suck, I'm going to guess he's not Adam :)

No, in all seriousness, I don't see what explanation someone could give for Adam adopting these new and fancy powers, let alone a costume -- he thought he was flawless as he was, literally.

Koos
13-12-07, 10:52 PM
Because Twilight, so far, doesn't suck, I'm going to guess he's not Adam :)

No, in all seriousness, I don't see what explanation someone could give for Adam adopting these new and fancy powers, let alone a costume -- he thought he was flawless as he was, literally.

Powers? He only flew. And ADAM is not beyond having powers or some other specialness himself.
ADAM was also the only one who knew that Jonothan had performed a spell to make himself the superstar.
Also the strong self-confidence ADAM was showing is similar to Twilight's.

ADAM might have sucked, but so far we haven't really seen much about Twilight to say he's much cooler. He does look much cooler though.