PDA

View Full Version : Slayer Jurisdiction

kana
29-07-13, 05:30 PM
This subject was brought up in this thread (http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18872).

Basically I wanted to know what people thought about so called Slayer Jurisdiction. In the thread for which I provided the link, some of the points of contention was the authority Buffy had as the Slayer.

My question is, where does this authority come from? I was always under the impression that authority or jurisdiction had to be granted by a higher body of authority. So who is this authority who granted Buffy or any Slayer their jurisdiction? The Watcher's Council? The Powers That Be?

Of course things have changed since...

The Slayer Spell

But I was talking more up until the end of Season 7 of Btvs.

So what do you guys think? Does Slayer=boss? Or is this something that some fans simply assume?

Rihannon
30-07-13, 12:36 AM
I always figured the "being the boss" was more a Buffy thing, not much of a "slayer" thing. I'ts been repeatedly said that Buffy was the first Slayer to have a support system, a "gang" of sorts that was a huge part of her success. Before her, Slayers were supposed to be the Council's soldier, and wasn't supposed to achieve any kind of leadership. This should imply that Buffy is an innate leader, not the one in charge since the beginning, but her process lead her to become one.

But then, this brings the question... Does any Slayer the potential to become a leader (chosen by TPTB, leadership implied) and the Council prevented it for generations? I wouldn't say so. Faith did her best to be a leader during S7, but she didn't have it in her the way Buffy did.