PDA

View Full Version : Sunnydale was surpose to be small town and yet they had everything

Joyce Summers
27-02-13, 02:54 PM
I always found it hard to understand how Sunnydale was surpose to be small town and yet they had everything.

-43 churches
-12 Cemeterys
-Zoo
-museum
-college
-Water park (Mentioned once in season two)
-a small military base
-Airport
-Train station
-Bus station
-Also other high school that Dawn went to beetween season 5-6
And was there Beach and boat ramp as well?.

Artea
27-02-13, 03:17 PM
You forgot a bunch of things:

-the other colleges (the one in 'Reptile Boy' and the community college Buffy mentions in 'Angel')
-the dam in 'As You Were'
-the huge sprawling desert nearby
-the computer factory that has the resources to build a fully functioning robot host for a demon within a matter of days

And I'm sure I'm still leaving a lot of things out...

Nina
27-02-13, 03:34 PM
There was also a pretty big harbour in Sunnydale, at least there was one in "Suprise".

But in 'Chosen' there was no water to be seen, no sea, no river or canal. Only desert. :xd Sunnydale was a very special place.

holypotatoes
27-02-13, 05:22 PM
For quite a few of those listed I always kind of assumed they were in different towns nearby. I mean I have to drive 20 miles to get to the nearest Walmart and that's not considered a big deal. So things like Dawn's school, which was never explicitly stated as being in SunnyD (at least as far as I can remember) may have been in the next town over until the new one was built. The same goes for the military base, the dam that Buffy/Riley went to (for sure this one! :lol: ), the desert, the waterslide park, and even the colleges except UC Sunnydale. Hell even to some extent I think the 'ocean' that they went to wasn't even in Sunnydale but somewhere else.

I do agree though that the shows definition of "not a whole lotta town" was pretty ridiculous. :lol: A small town has 2 main staples: a church and a bar. Every town in America has both of those things. They can also have a post office, a general store, and a laundromat but even all small towns don't have all of those either. Sunnydale wouldn't even be considered a medium sized city since most of those wouldn't include flipping colleges, airports, museums, zoo's, and dozens of churches/cemeteries. :lol: Like any show though, they added things that they needed for the sake of the plot. I can't hate on that too much. Especially since season 1, when they were going off of the whole Sunnydale being small, was still trying to feel itself out for what it wanted the show to be. They may have originally wanted Sunnydale to be this tiny place but to create a fleshed out story giving their characters something to do realized it wasn't plausible.

Joyce Summers
28-02-13, 01:11 AM
You forgot a bunch of things:

-the other colleges (the one in 'Reptile Boy' and the community college Buffy mentions in 'Angel')
-the dam in 'As You Were'
-the huge sprawling desert nearby
-the computer factory that has the resources to build a fully functioning robot host for a demon within a matter of days

And I'm sure I'm still leaving a lot of things out...

How do you know they didit mean college in where Buffy and Willow as that propley was college they went too.

Desert was out of Sunnydale.

MikeB
20-03-13, 04:40 AM
* Buffy came from Los Angeles. Sunnydale was simply small town compared to that. Sunnydale's a town of around 35-38K people depending on the episode.

* Sunnydale is pretty much based off of Santa Barbara, California. Having a UC campus and a small private college is not out of the ordinary. And some towns have small regional airports. On Giles' ticket, it says something like "to LAX".

* I guess the crater shown in "Chosen" (7.22) and after could simply be the result of that simply being where the crater was and the rest of the surrounding area (harbor, whatever else) was destroyed as well in the "fallout".