PDA

View Full Version : Who Did Willow Love?

Dipstick
30-01-13, 11:57 PM
The Willow version of this poll.

Who do you think Willow loved? This isn't a poll about who Willow liked or felt camaraderie towards. This is a poll on who Willow loved.

There is a spoiler in Willow's poll choice but I didn't see any other way to do it.

Local Maximum
31-01-13, 12:19 AM
Dipstick, you could have said "Spoiler comics character (see below)." You might have to make a new poll if you did that though.

I am sticking to my guns on Kennedy but she is certainly marginal -- I could definitely be dissuaded from my position.

What I said in the Giles thread was:

" Willow: she probably loves her parents but it's hard to say how much feeling you can get when there is so much love missing in the other direction. Platonic and romantic love get especially mixed up for Willow so I won't bother distinguishing. She loves Buffy, Xander, Oz, Tara, Giles, Dawn, and Kennedy, though her feelings for Kennedy are much less intense than her romantic feelings for Oz and Tara *or* her platonic feelings for Buffy and Xander. I don't think she loves Anya but I think her feelings about Anya are more intense than Buffy's feelings about her are -- she is intensely annoyed by Anya but also has a grudging respect and affection for her."

TimeTravellingBunny
31-01-13, 12:25 AM
"Probably" is not good enough for me, so I didn't vote for Willow's parents. We didn't see enough of the relationship to know if she loved them. Naturally, everyone is going to have very intense and strong feelings for their parents, but that doesn't mean that these feelings are necessarily love. In the other thread, I agreed with Max that Buffy has intense feelings for Faith but that they can't be called love; many people's feelings for their parents could be put in the same category.

I voted for Xander, Buffy, Giles, Oz, Tara, Dawn and Aluwyn. Willow did say she loved Kennedy, but it seemed more like a strong liking/some affection, not exactly on the level of love.

Dipstick
31-01-13, 02:27 AM
"Probably" is not good enough for me, so I didn't vote for Willow's parents. We didn't see enough of the relationship to know if she loved them. Naturally, everyone is going to have very intense and strong feelings for their parents, but that doesn't mean that these feelings are necessarily love. In the other thread, I agreed with Max that Buffy has intense feelings for Faith but that they can't be called love; many people's feelings for their parents could be put in the same category.

I got the impression that Willow loved her parents, at least in S1-5. She expends energy in the high school years trying to be the daughter she thinks they want- studious, puritanical about sex, the type to wear plaid dresses that her mom picks out, loudly liberal and defensive in her lapsed Judaism. Granted this occurred when Willow was a small child, but there's some instinctive daughter-love behind Willow playing doctor with her dad's medical volumes. If we're supposed to count flashbacks of Bitty Buffy with Baby Dawn and Celia as evidence of instinctive love that Buffy as a child had, I'll count how that story sounds re: Willow and Ira.

When Shelia said that she believed Willow about being a witch, AH really beams when she asks "Really" like Willow is overjoyed that they're connecting on an honest level, which makes it worse when Shelia follows it up with how she'll have to let Willow go with love. (Which could serve as evidence that Shelia had feelings of love towards Willow.) Then, Willow was *happy* that Shelia was being a disciplinarian and laying down the law about having Oz over so she could grill him because that's "sort of taking an interest."

Finally after Joyce died, Willow was spurred to visit her parents more. See Forever. That's a pretty good indication of love.

I do think there's an indication that after S5, Willow hardened her heart to her parents and gave up on them. Based on The Killer in Me, it sounds like Willow's attempt to reconcile and get closer to parents failed in S5 when Shelia burbled on about how Willow made a good political statement by being gay but wasn't really interested in meeting Tara. I do think that's true of post-S5 Buffy with Hank, even though I think she loved Hank definitely in S1-3.

Stoney
31-01-13, 03:34 AM
I voted for Buffy/Xander/Tara/Oz. Although I don't think Giles loved Willow I do think that she loved him as a parental figure but I think it is a love that she would have grown out of into an affection in later seasons, but as I thought it would have been in play in earlier seasons I included Giles. I do think that Willow loved her parents, I just think that she didn't feel loved by them in a connected way.

Dipstick
31-01-13, 03:41 AM
To sum up my votes, I vote for Giles, Xander, Buffy, her parents, Oz, Tara, Dawn, Jenny and Aluwyn with complete and utter confidence. I hesitated ever so slightly before Kennedy (largely because Local_Max thinks Willow loved Kennedy :D) but I feel pretty confident in my choice to not pick Kennedy.

I think Willow had real and measurable affection for Angel, Cordelia and Anya but it wasn't strong enough and too mixed up with resentment and too short to come anywhere close to being love.

In that, Willow is a special case. Spike is easily the character on the list that she's the most indifferent to. There's vague politeness, an understanding that Spike is Buffy's beau, her special friend and in the past, some vague mistrust. But there's no real there there.

Local Maximum
31-01-13, 05:31 AM
There may be out-of-story reasons why I think Willow loves Kennedy. There are some real life things that happened that resonate with the beginning of Willow/Kennedy that make me feel really positively about that; and even when Willow is using Kennedy in season eight I think there is a bedrock of affection there. I think love is maybe the wrong word. That said, I am going to blame my RL-related thoughts if I'm flat-out wrong. :lol:

vampmogs
31-01-13, 05:48 AM
I absolutely think Willow loves Kennedy but I suspect it became more of a platonic love rather than the way she felt about Tara or Oz. She loved Kennedy enough to keep Buffy at a distance;

WILLOW
I chose to put Tara in a bullet’s path. I chose you over her. I can’t do that again… to the woman I love.

which is pretty freakin' huge considering how much Willow loves Buffy. So yes, I absolutely think Willow feels a great deal of love for Kennedy but I simply think that over time her feelings for Aluwyn became stronger. I think their relationship was always going to fizzle out eventually because of Kennedy's ignorance to magic and their general incapability, but that there was definitely love there for a time – and still is, but the nature of that love has simply changed.

Kennedy was kind of the classic rebound but Willow was with her for roughly two and a half years so love definitely developed between them. It's just a relationship that always had a timer on it because they just didn't have enough in common and once Willow realised that (or somebody else better suited came along) it was inevitable it wouldn't last. It just wasn't the passionate and all-consuming love she had in other relationships, or especially with Tara.

MikeB
31-01-13, 10:48 AM
I'll go through the thread posts later.

I put Spike because of how she responds to certain things.

In "Pangs" (4.08), she simply could have lied about Spike's apparent inability to hurt people and Spike would have been not only kept in the sunlight, but perhaps Willow could have thought Buffy and Giles would have tried to kill him.

"Doomed" (4.11): she easily could have let Spike kill himself or let Xander dust him; instead, she decides to take Spike with them and therefore have Xander and herself be 'suicide watch' for Spike.

"Killer In Me" (7.13): she's genuinely concerned about Spike's chip malfunctioning because its causing Spike pain. And even though Willow is arguably dealing with a more pressing issue that's affecting her, she supports Spike focusing on Buffy.

If canon, everything in the IDW Spike miniseries.

I consider my other choices self-evident.

Stoney
31-01-13, 10:59 AM
I really don't think that is love, that is caring, possibly even affection but there is no love between Spike and Willow imo.

I'm surprised at how readily people apply love, these threads have been eye opening for me. :)

MikeB
05-03-13, 09:52 AM
* My choices are my choices.

* Without information, I’m not going to say that Willow loved someone, so I didn’t include her parents. Willow may have loved her parents in the past, but there’s not much hint that she’s loved them since BtVS S5, so I didn’t include them.

* I didn’t put Kennedy because Kennedy is clearly rebound and Willow had no problem cheating on her with Aluwyn and it seems Willow loves Aluwyn and doesn’t love Kennedy. I just never saw much indication that Willow loves Kennedy.

Dipstick

Spike is easily the character on the list that she's the most indifferent to. Willow certainly cares more about Spike than she ever did about Cordelia. And she certainly at some point cared more about Spike than she does about Angel. Willow also didn’t care much about Anya outside of Anya’s attachment to and influence on Xander.

Stoney

Feeling tender and/or strong affection for somebody is a definition of love. Willow in “The Initiative” (4.07) felt bad that Spike couldn’t drain her.

If Willow didn’t “love” Spike on some level, why would she had done what she did in “Pangs” (4.08), “Doomed” (4.11), and “Killer In Me” (7.13)?

Stoney
05-03-13, 10:47 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that Willow held love for Spike in Pangs?!! Willow is a naturally caring person that doesn't mean she loves people she shows compassion and thought towards. We never agree when 'love' is mentioned as, for me, your idea of love is pretty indiscriminate and will cover situations where I feel maybe only 'like' can be considered a clear emotion. I can hardly ever see us agreeing whenever this emotion is discussed.

MikeB
01-04-13, 11:33 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that Willow held love for Spike in Pangs?!! It's possible.

"Love" can be defined as "feeling tender affection for someone" and "feeling strong affection" for someone.

It's difficult to reconcile those things Willow did for Spike like in those examples I gave without her having some feelings of love for him.

I'm not saying she certainly did, but simply that's it's possible.

Priceless
29-01-18, 05:08 PM
I can't believe that some people didn't think Willow loved Oz. She loved him very much, which is why she was destroyed when he left. I also think she loved her own parents, even if they didn't get on sometimes :D

GoSpuffy
29-01-18, 08:53 PM
I couldn't decide on dawn. In the end I left her off the list because I think she was really only Buffy's sister to Willow. I think tara loved dawn for herself. I also left Giles off because I wasn't sure. I think she loved Kennedy but aluwyn was just a fling. Aluwyn was her "experimenting" with a demon.

Priceless
29-01-18, 09:01 PM
I couldn't decide on dawn. In the end I left her off the list because I think she was really only Buffy's sister to Willow. I think tara loved dawn for herself. I also left Giles off because I wasn't sure. I think she loved Kennedy but aluwyn was just a fling. Aluwyn was her "experimenting" with a demon.

I think Willow had a crush on Giles when she was at school. She had his picture in her locker. So I thought she probably did love him back then.

TimeTravellingBunny
29-01-18, 09:47 PM
Why did she then dump the woman she supposedly loved for someone who was "just a fling" or "experiment"? I don't believe that for a second.