PDA

View Full Version : “Sleeper” (7.08): Was Spike sleeping around??

MikeB
30-01-13, 07:35 AM
SPIKE: So, yeah. I go and pass the time... with someone. But that's all it is is time, 'cause—God, help me, Buffy—it's still all about you. http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/transcripts/130_tran.html

The episode seems to both be about Spike being a sleeper agent and Spike having had slept around.

Buffy in the episode seems both concerned that Spike’s been killing people and that’s he’s been sleeping around.

I’ve always reasoned that he was sleeping around as “I go and pass the time... with someone. But that's all it is is time” doesn’t seem to imply that Spike’s simply chatting with or playing board games with or watching TV shows or going to the movies with women. And Buffy’s reaction to him saying that seems to imply that she understands it to mean he’s been sleeping around and that its ‘meaningless’ sex that he’s having.

Also, guys go to bars and clubs to “hook up”, and “hooking up” means having sex.

Gemini9857
30-01-13, 08:58 AM
I don't think the episode title had anything to do with him sleeping around and there's no clear indication that he was.

In CWDP he appears to be walking home a girl and then he kills her, in Sleeper he kisses a girl and then kills her. There's no indication that he ever slept with either of them and when he's confronted at The Bronze by someone he turned she asked if she was a one-bite stand, she didn't say one-night stand. He also turned Anya down twice, once in Sleeper and again in Get It Done.

KingofCretins
30-01-13, 12:29 PM
What is self-evident from both his own words and the actual events depicted is that he was going out, talking up women relying on his particular charm and looks, leading them away, and then killing and turning them. If you want to look at it another way, he was doing exactly what Josh Holloway's vampire gang was doing in the teaser to "City of...", just with no spring-stake armed hero to intervene.

Put yet another way, he was doing what vampires do, just the First was making him do it.

It's important to remember that Spike's account reveals he has gaps in his memory; the only reasonable inference to make from that is that at some point after the part he knows about -- going out and chatting up ladies -- the First took over and saw to the killing and siring and burying. That pretty much precludes the possibility that he was sleeping with any of them, because sleeping with them was not relevant to the First's agenda.

Now, as a concession to MikeB, Spike very well may have intended to do a lot of sleeping around, and that was what took him out night after night. Or the First was able to compel him in that direction without completely taking over. We really have no way to know on that point. But the plain language of the dialogue and the events as depicted give us a pretty definitive model for what was happening. Spike went out, Spike picked someone out, got them alone, sired them, buried them.

EDIT: "hooking up" also means to meet up. "Yeah, once I'm off work, we'll hook up at the restaurant and decide what we want to do after dinner", common usage of the phrase at least in American slang. That is actually the more common usage since the entire image of the expression applies to "connecting" (to hook together, see?), and it's sexual connotation probably came about as a euphemism.

Stoney
30-01-13, 12:51 PM
As everyone is saying. What we see and what Spike says supports him going out, talking to people, biting, siring and burying them. He says all he remembers is talking to them and we don't see any evidence that he would be doing any more before The First takes control. I completely doubt he went out with the thought/intention to have sex and there is nothing to even base that on. He doesn't say anything like that and he does, in fact, specifically say that all it is is talking, several times, and as that is what we see I don't see any reason to suspect anything more. It isn't what he is saying he wants to do and we don't see him doing it.

It's important to remember that Spike's account reveals he has gaps in his memory; the only reasonable inference to make from that is that at some point after the part he knows about -- going out and chatting up ladies -- the First took over and saw to the killing and siring and burying. That pretty much precludes the possibility that he was sleeping with any of them, because sleeping with them was not relevant to the First's agenda.

Spike went out, Spike picked someone out, got them alone, sired them, buried them.

Well exactly. It just doesn't play any part theoretically or actually in what is seen and spoken of, at all.

Vampire in Rug
31-01-13, 01:27 AM
Yeah, as KingofCretins says, Spike was going out to bars and the First was taking over whenever it had to opportunity to sire someone. The girl in Sleeper says one-bite-stand, not one-night-stand. And yeah, Spike having sex is not necessary for the First's goals. Spike mentions gaps in his memory which is obviously when the First made him kill and sire.

I don't even think that going out with the intention of picking up was necessarily Spike's agenda. In Conversations With Dead People we see him sitting by himself when a girl asks if she can sit with him. When I think about where Spike's head was at, he'd just recently gotten his soul which is a huge deal. I imagine the guilt of the people he's killed must drive him mad every night... guilt isn't something he's felt in years. He's probably not sleeping properly, and the gaps in his memory he might be attributing to his soul or possibly lack of sleep. I think that in the few months that he's got his soul, every day is a struggle, and on some level, maybe he even regrets getting it. He's in love with Buffy but he feels that he can't talk to her. He's also only just regained his sanity after living in the basement and having the First Evil screw with him.

I think that when he goes out, he just wants to escape. Sometimes when I'm bored I go out purely to waste time because I can't stand being in the house any more. I imagine Spike feels like that a lot, especially since he's living with Xander, he probably doesn't feel especially welcome or comfortable there. I imagine that Spike really does want to talk to people who won't judge him because he's lonely and bored and lost. With all the new feelings and issues that his soul brings, I don't think he's too concerned about his penis right now. I think he just wants to talk with people, hear jokes, drink beers, listen to music, feel the cool air and stretch his legs. Maybe, he'd like to occasionally pick up a girl, but I don't think that's his priority right now. I don't think that's why he was going out. When he says that he wants to "talk" I think it means exactly that. Holden Webster knew Spike's name, so obviously they'd been talking before Spike sired him. I think Spike just wanted to pretend to be normal and forget about all the vampire crap for a few hours each night. I think Holden Webster's existence suggests that Spike didn't especially care if he talked to girls or guys.

Stoney
31-01-13, 02:09 AM
I think that is such an important point ViR and I totally agree with where Spike's head was at. With everything he is currently going through and his whole demeanour and behaviour generally it just doesn't fit as remotely likely to me that he would be looking for sex and even unlikely that he is looking for more than talking. I think this whole point with him going out is being used as a sign of what he is going through and that it is an emotional time for him. That Holden was one of those sired also plays into this. As Buffy discovers, he is a perceptive bloke who likes to stretch his psychology muscles. The idea that Spike got talking to him makes sense if he was looking to work through some feelings/issues.

vampmogs
31-01-13, 04:42 AM
VIR makes an excellent point; the woman approaches Spike in CWDP whilst he is sitting alone at the bar. I would find it very strange if Spike was in the headspace where he was going to bars looking to score with women given his mental fragility at this time. He was barley out of the basement and I don't think he had neither the confidence nor the urge to go out and sleep around.

I don't think there's even a question that in Sleeper Spike wasn't having sex. It seems pretty clearly established to me that Spike was being used by The First to lure girls away (and at least one guy) and then kill and sire them. No sex.

And in Australia, at least, "hooking up" can mean multiple things. It can mean catching up with someone or, as this is probably the most common, it can mean simply making out/having a snog. People rarely use "hooking up" to describe going 'all the way', though. For instance, in a normal conversation it's most likely used in this way;

PERSON #1: "Did you guys have sex?"
PERSON #2: "Nah, we just hooked up"

Skippcomet
09-03-13, 10:25 AM
I don't mean to be unnecessarily snarky or rude, but where is the option to vote for "I don't care"?

Stoney
10-03-13, 12:22 AM
I think that one is selected through non active participation, as with all polls/threads. :D

_Buffy_
11-03-13, 08:09 AM
I don't think that Spike had sex with these girls. But even if he had, he didn't remember, right ? He told Buffy : ..." I go and pass the time... with someone. But that's all it is is time.........." and he also told ..." That's all I remember " ... when Buffy asked him about the girl which she had seen with him. I don't believe that he is sleeping around. I agree with King , that it is not in his list right now. But it is not copmletely imopsible to happen sometimes tough.

_Buffy_
11-03-13, 08:11 AM
I don't mean to be unnecessarily snarky or rude, but where is the option to vote for "I don't care"?

If you don't care, why you even read this thread ?

Stoney
11-03-13, 08:46 AM
I agree with King , that it is not in his list right now. But it is not copmletely imopsible to happen sometimes tough.

During the trigger and the scenario in Sleeper, as has been said, it isn't something the First would have bothered 'making' him do though, that makes no sense as there is no benefit in doing that it just wants him to drain/sire people. So as all Spike remembers is talking to them then that is all that happens before the First takes over so, no, not unless he chose to, which he obviously wasn't.

_Buffy_
12-03-13, 07:06 AM
During the trigger and the scenario in Sleeper, as has been said, it isn't something the First would have bothered 'making' him do though, that makes no sense as there is no benefit in doing that it just wants him to drain/sire people. So as all Spike remembers is talking to them then that is all that happens before the First takes over so, no, not unless he chose to, which he obviously wasn't.

Which doesn't mean that if he wants to, he wouldn't sleep with some of this girls before he kills them. I'm just sayng. I know that it is not his purpose , but I wouldn't be surprised if he had sex occasionally with some girl, BTW. And then he remember nothing.

Stoney
12-03-13, 09:06 AM
Which doesn't mean that if he wants to, he wouldn't sleep with some of this girls before he kills them. I'm just sayng. I know that it is not his purpose , but I wouldn't be surprised if he had sex occasionally with some girl, BTW. And then he remember nothing.

Of course it isn't impossible that he could choose to go out to have sex but there is nothing in his manner that suggests that is likely and it would specifically contradict what he is saying, that it is just talking, so he would have to be choosing to lie about it which it doesn't come across as if he is being dishonest. But he would in those circumstances remember it. As ViR said it is actually a good chance it doesn't fit for where his mind is at at all at the moment. I just see nothing at all that supports that this was happening other than the fact that he has the necessary body parts.

The 'not remembering' was caused by him being under the control of the trigger so because that isn't what the First would bother with (there is no benefit for the First to Spike having sex it just wants him to kill/sire) that would not have played a part in what happened when he couldn't remember.

_Buffy_
14-03-13, 09:52 AM
In this connection, do you think that he slept with the skanky girl who he brought with him in " Hell's Bell's " ? I don't belive in this. His point was to makes Buffy jealous of and to hurts her. But I wander sometimes. I read a lot of fanfictions exactly about this girl - that Spike had sex with her. :s

Stoney
14-03-13, 10:47 AM
In this connection, do you think that he slept with the skanky girl who he brought with him in " Hell's Bell's " ? I don't belive in this. His point was to makes Buffy jealous of and to hurts her. But I wander sometimes.

Obviously entirely different scenario/factors. He said/implied to Buffy that was his intention and it wasn't something for her to 'see' just to think might happen but that did't mean he wasn't intending to actually do it. It's total guesswork but personally I think not as it was all built around feeling angry with Buffy and that was deflated with their conversation. Personally, because he tabled the incident with Anya as them moving on I don't think he slept with anyone else until Entropy.

MikeB
09-04-13, 12:31 AM
* To begin, I don’t remember those in the basement all being young attractive women. The bouncer tells Buffy that Spike was picking up a new girl every night.

* Secondly, since when do people go to bars or clubs to strike intellectual conversation with people? People go to bars and clubs to have sex with people.

Gemini9857

I don't think the episode title had anything to do with him sleeping around and there's no clear indication that he was. Spike thought he was.

He also turned Anya down twice, once in Sleeper and again in Get It Done. That merely means he didn’t want to have sex with her again.

KingofCretins

"hooking up" also means to meet up. No, it doesn’t. If one means, “meet up”, one would say “meet up. It’s similar to Spike saying he was “passing the time” with some women means he thinks he was sleeping around.

Stoney

[Spike] says all he remembers is talking to them When was this? Or are you translating “passing the time with someone” as “talking to someone”?

I completely doubt he went out with the thought/intention to have sex and there is nothing to even base that on. It’s something Spike does. After Buffy rejected him in “Crush” (5.14) and rejects him at the party in “I Was Made to Love You” (5.15), the first thing he does is flirt with the most attractive girl there he could find. After she ‘breaks up’ with him in “As You Were” (6.15), he brings a date to the Xander/Anya wedding and he intended to have sex with her (we don’t know whether he actually did). After “Lies My Parents Told Me” (7.17), he was flirting with Faith and if Buffy hadn’t interrupted possibly would have had sex with Faith. Spike in BtVS S9: Spike was attracted to Morgan and kissed her but then decided he needed something “real”. But that was a ‘new’ consideration for him.

Buffy at the time didn’t seem pleased that he got his soul back, she had left him in the basement of SHS for around 3 weeks only going to him to try to garner information out of him relating to her Slayer missions, and then stuck him with Xander. Spike sleeping around isn’t a stretch.

he does, in fact, specifically say that all it is is talking, several times This simply is untrue.

Vampire in Rug

When I think about where Spike's head was at, he'd just recently gotten his soul which is a huge deal. I imagine the guilt of the people he's killed must drive him mad every night... guilt isn't something he's felt in years. This is another thread topic but…

Spike had gotten his soul around 4-8 months earlier, he was only “mad” because the First Evil was making him “mad”, and he felt guilty plenty of times in recent years. Guilt is partly what drove him to get his soul back.

He's probably not sleeping properly, There’s no evidence of this.

I think that when he goes out, he just wants to escape. Sex can be an “escape”.

I don't think he's too concerned about his penis right now. I think he just wants to talk with people, hear jokes, drink beers, listen to music, feel the cool air and stretch his legs. What we actually see:

“Conversations With Dead People” (7.07): he gets picked up by a girl.
“Sleeper” (7.08): he goes to make out with a girl, sees FirstBuffy, bites the girl, and then is horrified that he bit the girl, then runs off.

vampmogs

* Why wouldn’t Spike be confident he could get laid? Buffy didn’t hate him even though he tried to rape her and then left town for 3.5 – 7 months. Spike wasn’t surprised that Anya wanted to have sex with him.

KingofCretins
09-04-13, 12:50 AM
* To begin, I don’t remember those in the basement all being young attractive women. The bouncer tells Buffy that Spike was picking up a new girl every night.

You're assuming that the bouncer gave enough of a damn to be exactingly literal. Doubt he'd remember if Spike had even been in every night that week, or 3, or 1, or not since the week before. A bouncer's nights are a gallery of faces.

KingofCretins

No, it doesn’t. If one means, “meet up”, one would say “meet up. It’s similar to Spike saying he was “passing the time” with some women means he thinks he was sleeping around.

Oh aye? Take it up with urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hook%20up) and their seven definitions and multiple parts of speech that cover everything from sex, to personal favors, to personal meetings, etc. Reality begs to differ with your handle on this slang term.

The bad news is that your poll went 80%+ against your interpretation. The good news is that... technically with only 28 votes it's not a valid sample size?

Stoney
09-04-13, 03:33 AM
* Secondly, since when do people go to bars or clubs to strike intellectual conversation with people? People go to bars and clubs to have sex with people.

Wow, really?!! I can categorically state that I have never, and I repeat, never, gone to a bar and club to get sex. That doesn't mean I haven't met people that way but it certainly wasn't the purpose, to even meet someone, let alone take it to the extent of sleeping with them.

Spike thought he was.

No he really didn't. He was confused about the fact that he had pockets of time where he didn't remember details and his whole tone when he is talking to Buffy matches this but there isn't anything in there that translates to having sex. Stating it boldly doesn't support your idea.

That merely means he didn’t want to have sex with her again.

Spike is not the same person as he was when he slept with Anya in Entropy. He is different for the entire season as he struggles to find himself and deal with getting his soul. He is not interested at all when Anya pretends to proposition him and is clearly just trying to let her down without it being too embarrassing.

Stoney

When was this? Or are you translating “passing the time with someone” as “talking to someone”?

No I'm going from his literal statements in the the actual scene to support my view point. Spike repeatedly states and repeats how little is going on. He SPECIFICALLY includes saying that all he remembers is talking to them.

19 INT. SPIKE'S BEDROOM AT XANDER'S APARTMENT - NIGHT
Buffy storms into Spike's bedroom, and throws him out of bed. He lands on the floor next to the bed.
BUFFY - Did you kill her?
SPIKE - What?
BUFFY - The girl. Last night.
SPIKE - What girl? (turns on light) What are you talking about?
BUFFY - I caught the first act. I missed the curtain call. Did you kill her? Did you turn her? Is she one of your kind now?
SPIKE - Did-did you—are you following me?
BUFFY - Answer the question. Where is she?
SPIKE - (stands) Who knows? I talked to her is all.
BUFFY - Really. (crosses arms) Looked like more than talking to me.
SPIKE - Well, I certainly didn't off her. Where are you getting this? (grabs a shirt) You know I can't.
BUFFY - Right. The chip.
SPIKE - (incensed) No, not the chip! Not the chip, dammit. You honestly think I'd go to the end of the underworld and back to get my soul and then— (sighs, shakes head) Buffy, I can barely live with what I did. It haunts me. All of it. If you think that I would add to the body count now, you are crazy.
BUFFY - So, what—you just troll the Promenade looking for drunk co-eds cause you're hungry for conversation?
SPIKE - (laughs) Oh, is that what this is? Right.
BUFFY - What?
SPIKE - You're jealous!
BUFFY - Don't play games. Not now.
SPIKE - (puts on shirt) Yeah, you saw me chatting up another bird, giving the eye to somebody else. Touched a nerve, didn't it?
BUFFY - Don't flatter yourself.
SPIKE - It burns, huh? But you can't admit it, so you trump up some charge about me being back on the juice.
BUFFY - This vampire I killed told me—
SPIKE - Told you what? That I go out? Yeah, I talk to people. Women. Talk to them 'cause I can't talk to you.
BUFFY - Oh, Spike, save it.
SPIKE - As daft a notion as "Soulful Spike the Killer" is, it is nothing compared to the idea that another girl could mean anything to me. This chip—they did to me. I couldn't help it. But the soul, I got on my own—for you.
BUFFY - I know.
SPIKE - So, yeah. I go and pass the time... with someone. But that's all it is is time, 'cause—God, help me, Buffy—it's still all about you.
BUFFY - Spike, this vampire told me you sired him.
SPIKE - That doesn't mean—
BUFFY - He said you killed him. Dumped him in a parking lot somewhere.
SPIKE - And you believe him? Vampires aren't—
BUFFY - I did follow you last night, and you know what? You didn't look lonely or casual to me. You looked like you were on the prowl.
SPIKE - You can't know that.
BUFFY - So, then, tell me. Tell me what happened. You talked to her, then what?
SPIKE - We talked. That's all I remember.
BUFFY - All you remember?
SPIKE - I don't know. I go out. I talk to people or I don't. It's boring. It all bleeds together.
BUFFY - Well, if you seem to forget that much, then—
SPIKE - Not that. The taste of human blood. That, I'd remember.
BUFFY - You were camped out on the hell mouth talking to invisible people. Recently. How can you be sure of—
SPIKE - No! You are wrong. You've got an accusation from a pile of dust and not a shred of proof.
BUFFY - So, I'll get some. (leaves the room)

It’s something Spike does. After Buffy rejected him in “Crush” (5.14) and rejects him at the party in “I Was Made to Love You” (5.15), the first thing he does is flirt with the most attractive girl there he could find. After she ‘breaks up’ with him in “As You Were” (6.15), he brings a date to the Xander/Anya wedding and he intended to have sex with her (we don’t know whether he actually did). After “Lies My Parents Told Me” (7.17), he was flirting with Faith and if Buffy hadn’t interrupted possibly would have had sex with Faith. Spike in BtVS S9: Spike was attracted to Morgan and kissed her but then decided he needed something “real”. But that was a ‘new’ consideration for him.

Geez, you keep just equating everything to sex like there is never any possibility that it doesn't go all the way even though that is not what you see. Choosing to flirt with someone just simply doesn't mean you would hop into bed with them. He does state he intended to sleep with his wedding date but we don't know if he did. I suspect personally as he was running on revenge and was being emotionally reactionary but had the whole conversation with Buffy that brought that down at the wedding that he didn't bother but sure, we don't know. Spike was just talking to Faith in the basement, he wasn't about to jump her and to be frank, if all it takes is him talking to someone (particularly when they were talking about him and Buffy) for you to feel confident that he would have slept with them then you obviously don't need any contextual support to your belief apart from him being proximate and conscious to someone (apart from Anya and Morgan when we SEE him not behave the way you decree he does and would). In fact, as much as I dislike some aspects of the issue, the latest A&F which makes a big thing about the fact that Spike is looking to make himself feel better with sex supports that this isn't the way he always behaves. In fact in the Q&A Christos talks about it as part of the regressive behaviour he displays around Angel and it is played with an entirely different tone to any of his behaviour in S7 but not different to A5, when he behaved the same way with Harmony (again around Angel). Spike just isn't this person who, souled simply looks for the next bed fellow like you wish he did. Heck he even refers to having a 'dry spell' to Faith.

Buffy at the time didn’t seem pleased that he got his soul back, she had left him in the basement of SHS for around 3 weeks only going to him to try to garner information out of him relating to her Slayer missions, and then stuck him with Xander. Spike sleeping around isn’t a stretch.

Yeah, it really is. Buffy is wary of Spike when he first came back but she 'believes' in him in S7 and tells him so in Never Leave Me clearly her appreciation of the change he has made...

BUFFY
That's not true. Listen to me. You're not alive because of hate or pain. You're alive because I saw you change. Because I saw your penance.
SPIKE
(lunges violently at her, but chains hold him back) Window dressing.
BUFFY
Be easier, wouldn't it, it if were an act, but it's not. (walks toward him) You faced the monster inside of you and you fought back. You risked everything to be a better man.
SPIKE
Buffy...
BUFFY
(in his face) And you can be. You are. You may not see it, but I do. I do. I believe in you, Spike.

This simply is untrue.

Yeah it really is categorically true that Spike says it was just talking repeatedly. See above. To be honest Mike it is coming across like you don't know the episode well or have really 'seen' the character portrayal clearly across this season at all.

Sex can be an “escape”.

But it isn't the only one, drinking is also an escape and that he categorically was doing. One track mind much?!!

What we actually see:

“Conversations With Dead People” (7.07): he gets picked up by a girl.
“Sleeper” (7.08): he goes to make out with a girl, sees FirstBuffy, bites the girl, and then is horrified that he bit the girl, then runs off.

When Spike bites that girl it is played that he is 'triggered'. That is why when Buffy then speaks to him in the next scene he says he doesn't know and doesn't remember biting her. If you ignore everything he actually says to Buffy and what we actually see and just decide that he is lying/hiding the truth then you just don't have any actual support for your own assumptions and the way you want to read it. As many people have said, it makes no sense and plays no part in what The First wants of him. We see him pick people up (possibly triggered at that point already) and bite them (triggered). ALL Spike remembers is the initial bit where he is seeking company which doesn't have a secret translation to mean sex automatically.

The bad news is that your poll went 80%+ against your interpretation. The good news is that... technically with only 28 votes it's not a valid sample size?

Sure it is a small sample, but with 92% (12 against just Mike) too on SA I think the notion of general consensus somewhat underplays common thought on this topic.

buffyholic
19-04-13, 11:00 AM
There is no evidence whatsoever that Spike has been sleeping around. All we can deduce is that he goes to bars or whatever to talk to women and then as someone posted earlier, the First was taking over and making him hill all those people.
But nothing suggests he was sleeping with those women.

MikeB
29-05-13, 07:16 AM
* Maybe Spike wasn’t sleeping around. Maybe like in “Conversations with Dead People” (7.07) he simply killed and/or sired all the women he took out of the Bronze.

Maybe he was simply being a di)k to Buffy in their ‘lovers quarrel’ in “Sleeper” (7.09). I focused on his saying, “I go and pass the time... with someone. But that's all it is is time, 'cause—God, help me, Buffy—it's still all about you.” because Spike clearly seems to be implying he was having sex with random women. He wasn’t still saying he was merely talking to people (as he would have said that). He wasn’t saying he was “hanging out”, or “boozing with”, or whatever with someone. And the “it’s still all about you” is completely unnecessary if all he was implying is he was talking to random people. It’s doubtful Spike considers Buffy insecure and to the point that his merely talking to or looking at another girl means Buffy would get into a jealous rage. The only thing that ‘hurt’ Buffy was the idea that he was going to have sex with someone else or did have sex with someone else (see: “Hells Bells” (6.16), “Entropy” (6.18)/“Seeing Red’ (6.19), “Dirty Girls” (7.18))

In “Dirty Girls” (7.18), would Buffy have gotten upset if Spike were talking to Faith in the kitchen? She got upset because Faith was in bed with Spike.

* Anyway, I’ll probably prefer to agree to disagree. I don’t consider it ‘out of character’ or ‘unfathomable’ that Spike could have been sleeping around. Buffy had left him in the basement for three weeks. She hadn’t been close to him – she mainly was going to him for information about the bad happenings. Spike wasn’t one to be celibate for many months at a time when there were attractive options available to him. As-is we still don’t know what he was doing in the 3.5-7 months from “Grave” (6.22) to “Lessons” (7.01).