PDA

View Full Version : Switched at Birth

Kiera
02-09-11, 05:09 PM
Has anyone else watched this? I got hooked after about 2 or 3 episodes of it on Netflix :D I'm hoping someone other than me is watching or has at least seen and liked this show so we can start a discussion or something on it. I'm actually rewatching it with a few other friends and getting them hooked too :)

So on that note... any thoughts?

Ehlwyen
03-09-11, 04:13 AM
Switched at Birth just started this summer, right? ABC Family has so many shows that I get confused. I had no idea it was on Netflix already, much less streaming! It sounds like an interesting premise. I'm reminded of the storyline from Veronica Mars.

I will try to check it out although I'm holding a bit of a grudge that ABC Family has not yet renewed another new summer show, Nine Lives of Chloe King. I also have Pretty Little Liars I am supposed to watch. ABC Family is really moving in on traditionally CW tv show territory! :lol:

TimeTravellingBunny
03-09-11, 01:51 PM
Switched at Birth just started this summer, right? ABC Family has so many shows that I get confused. I had no idea it was on Netflix already, much less streaming! It sounds like an interesting premise. I'm reminded of the storyline from Veronica Mars.

I haven't seen the show in question, but storylines about babies switched at birth have been, as far as I've heard, the staple of soap operas.

I normally don't watch soaps, but the title immediately reminds me of a little known UK show called Night & Day (2001-2003), which I loved. It was a very bizarre and original British drama/soap/mystery, kind of like a UK Twin Peaks with less supernatural stuff and more irony, camp, fantasy scenes, flashbacks and strange storytelling devices. The plot about babies switched at birth turned out to be the crucial plot point that the mystery was all about. (I think that Rob Thomas might have seen it, since the plots of season 1 Veronica Mars have some similarities to that show. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another influence, in addition to Buffy, Twin Peaks and Nancy Drew.)

Jessica M.C.
03-09-11, 06:25 PM
Oh!! I love that show!! I took up sign lanuage because of it!!!

Obsessed
04-09-11, 02:39 PM
I'm deaf myself and have seen a couple episodes. I like it but feel the situations during verbal conversations are not realistic when the character is suppose to be profoundly deaf. Lip-reading is not 100% reliable. Its a useful tool but doesn't always aid in perfect understanding of what the other person is saying especially in group settings. I hope I'm making sense here. However, I think its wonderful you're learning sign language. I think that's great.

Kiera
04-09-11, 03:32 PM
I'm deaf myself and have seen a couple episodes. I like it but feel the situations during verbal conversations are not realistic when the character is suppose to be profoundly deaf. Lip-reading is not 100% reliable. Its a useful tool but doesn't always aid in perfect understanding of what the other person is saying especially in group settings. I hope I'm making sense here. However, I think its wonderful you're learning sign language. I think that's great.

And on that note, I completely agree. There are times where I think they should have her a little more.. lost? I'm not sure if that's the right word, but seeing as the actor herself isn't really deaf and just hard of hearing... knowing that does make it less realistic. At least for Daphne anyway. I also kinda focused on how fast the characters seemed to have learned sign language, but since I've been kind of learning it myself, you do kind of pick up things here and there.

I used to know a bit of sign language because as a child one of my friends had a deaf parent; he taught me the signs for cat, sister, brother, thank you and please; his sister taught me the one for beautiful and now that I think about it, they were so young but it was amazing how much they knew. We have deaf guests that come to the hotel every year so it'd be nice to be able to communicate with them, sans pen and paper. This show set my interests back into learning more :)

And of course looking forward to more SaB episodes :D

Jessica M.C.
05-09-11, 03:03 AM
I find that if i use it right away and keep using the words I learn each week, they are easier to remember. I love it!! I like the language, but also the culture. because we aren't just learning the signs, we are also learning why the signs are what they are.

If you saw the show.....

Ok for those who've seen the show. Emitte (I think I spelled it right?) with Bay or Daphne?
I think Bay. I love that relation ship. I want an Emitte. think it is just so romantic that he speaks with his hands, but also with his body and facial expression because bay doesn't know all signs. SO 'Ahhhhwwwwww' worthy!!!