PDA

View Full Version : Threadiquette?

jsbiff
26-07-10, 07:00 PM
Hi,

In the Buffy forum, awhile back, I had posted a thread about a question, and someone took me to task for starting new threads instead of posting in the General Forum > Buffy and Angel Questions thread.

I don't want to argue with anyone. . . one of my basic guiding principles in life is that when you are a guest in someone else's house, you try to abide by their rules and requests, and so I will try to.

However, I do have some questions about Thread Etiquette:

1) At the time I posted that question in the Buffy forum, I was watching Buffy, and had not watched any episodes of Angel. For this reason, I was avoiding threads that had anything to do with Angel, because I figured there would almost *surely* be Angel spoilers in a thread called "Buffy and Angel Questions".

Was I wrong to post a question which was *specific* to the Buffy show and had nothing at all to do with Angel, in the "Buffy" forum instead of the General forum? I always try to find the most specific and appropriate forum for a post, and "Jossverse > General" was less specific than "Jossverse > Buffy", for a question which didn't touch on AtS. At the time, Buffy seemed the most logical place to post the question.

2) In the Buffy forum, there is a "Never Ending Discussion Thread". I suppose I could have posted my question(s) in that thread, but the reason I started new threads is. . . well. . . that's what the whole feature of "threading" in a forum software is supposed to be about, isn't it? That is, dividing up the "conversation" into seperate, discreet lines of thought.

Having great big giant threads makes it harder, I think, for people to ignore/skip conversations they are not interested in (which in a forum like this, also very much has the potential to include conversations within the thread which may have spoilers for content the reader has not yet encountered). It also makes it harder to find answers to specific questions (because you might have to read through 8 or 10 pages of discussion to find out if someone else has asked the question yet or not).

3) I read the forum rules and FAQ, and there didn't seem to be anything in them really discussing Threadiquette. I'm not trying to spam - I'm just trying to use the forum the way I thought threaded forums are supposed to be used. One of the replies to the thread I mentioned earlier said something along the lines of, threads should be used for topics or questions which will cause debate, not questions which are answered with one post.

The problem for me is that, while occasionally it's pretty cut-and-dry, most of the time you don't know ahead of time what questions will cause 2-3 pages of debate, and what questions will only be responded to once. I've sometimes asked questions I thought would be very open for discussion, and gotten only a single reply; other times, I've asked questions I thought would be a simple one-post-answer which then generated 2 pages of debate.

Jenni Lou
26-07-10, 08:21 PM
First off, don't let the other members police you. Many of them have been around for a long time and are comfortable here and as such, they sort of know the way this particular forum works. They are merely trying to help newer members understand that too. However, if we find a thread to be unwarranted, I promise you that a moderator will let you know.

And yes, there is no simple way to know what a new thread topic should be as opposed to posting in an already existing thread. But generally, if you have a question that can indeed be answered in a single post or two, then it really doesn't need to have its own thread. On the other hand if you want to open up a discussion on that talking point because you believe it to have more substance than it may appear to, then go for it.

For example, say you wanted to ask a question about what episode Tom Lenk first appeared in. This can easily be answered with a single episode title. BUT, because Tom Lenk's first appearance was a vampire minion of Harmony's and not as Andrew as he is better know, well, then this may be something people can talk about for a bit. Do you know what I mean?

Basically, just use your inner judgment and don't let everyone else tell you you're wrong. I, as well as other forum staff, will merge threads into the questions one if we feel it is needed. And this doesn't actually happen all that often. :)

Ehlwyen
27-07-10, 04:26 AM
The "Buffy and Angel Questions Thread" is for general questions that another member who knows minute or random trivia would be able to answer. Like Jenni Lou says, "what was so and so's first episode?" So if you are asking a question that you think can be answered, then it goes into the Questions thread.

If it's a question where you are asking for opinions or interpretations that's the best time to create a new thread.

If it's a random comment, then it's a toss up. If it's a "did you notice this coincidence" or something simple, I'd put it in the questions thread. We get a lot of the same questions asked a lot so they don't make good discussion threads. For that reason I would disagree with Jenni Lou about, "Did you notice Tom Lenk played a Harmony minion before playing Andrew." It gets asked a lot. Of course, being new, we don't expect you to know that. And as you see, one mod would already consider it a valid thread. We don't want to stifle creativity or voices, just to try to stay a little organized.

A better thread would be to ask, "do you think that it is possible that the Harmony minion was actually Andrew's twin brother who got turned into a vampire?" That creates a hypothetical question open to opinion and interpretation.

If creating a thread, it can help to be specific in the title name, rather than "question about potentials" a title like "what makes a potential" seems more open to discussion rather than simple question and answer.

If you are afraid of spoilers, make sure to put that in your post. I think some of us forget from time to time that people just starting the show have made it to the forum. But no one wants you to spoil yourself and it will help people understand why you aren't looking in other threads.

Like Jenni Lou says, don't worry too much. Use your best judgment and we'll move and edit things as necessary or point it out if you're doing something wrong. If another another member points out something they are trying to be helpful rather than make you feel like a wrongdoer. :)

I do appreciate your asking about what makes a thread. :wub:

jsbiff
27-07-10, 04:05 PM
If creating a thread, it can help to be specific in the title name, rather than "question about potentials" a title like "what makes a potential" seems more open to discussion rather than simple question and answer.

Well, generally I try to put a lot of thought into my titles (I thought the "threadiquette" portmanteau was kind of clever, although I suppose people whose primary language isn't English might not get it). There's a (perhaps subtle) reason why I titled that thread "Question about potentials", instead of "What makes a potential". The reason is, that I wasn't asking what makes a potential. I was asking if the writers ever deal with the question of what makes a potential. It's kind of hard to come up with a short, catchy title for such a question. :D

The thing was, I didn't want spoilers, so much as just an idea of if the topic will be coming up in episodes or comics I've not yet watched or read (I've not read any of the comics yet, but if it had been the topic of one of the comics, I might go read that comic, specifically, sooner than I would have otherwise encountered it, for example).

In retropsect, I suppose perhaps I expect people to understand my subtleties a little bit too much, at times. Still, I do understand your point about titles, but I guess even though I try, I can't always come up with perfect titles for every post I want to make.

HisMRS
19-08-10, 06:00 AM
LOL Threadiquette... It's nice that you made a thread to ask about stuff though, instead of just assuming the right and wrong things to do. :) A lot of times people who are new to a forum but not necessarily new to forums in general will just assume what the rules are (as I did when I first joined this board), and then it can get you in "trouble". ;)

Kiera
14-10-10, 09:37 AM
LOL Threadiquette... It's nice that you made a thread to ask about stuff though, instead of just assuming the right and wrong things to do. :) A lot of times people who are new to a forum but not necessarily new to forums in general will just assume what the rules are (as I did when I first joined this board), and then it can get you in "trouble". ;)

Very true. I tend to be a little scatterbrained and while I read the rules, sometimes don't apply them ;) or I get sucked into an OT convo and well, you get the idea. When you're new, things are definitely different. Especially if you're a member of another or several forums because they all work differently and all have different rules, mods, etc. I've noticed here that we get a lot more people from all over the place and since English isn't always the first language, it can be hard to get an idea or a point across without confusing or in a more severe case, upsetting someone. There have been times where I thought I was on-topic and it turns out, not so much :doh:

I've had members point things out to me quite a few times. At first, of course my first reaction was like whoa, this forum is strict. But all in all, everyone's just trying to help out and keep the forum a happy and harmonious place :hug:

And it doesn't hurt we've got some kick-butt mods around here either ;)

Nikki
14-10-10, 10:15 AM
Very true. I tend to be a little scatterbrained and while I read the rules, sometimes don't apply them ;) or I get sucked into an OT convo and well, you get the idea. When you're new, things are definitely different. Especially if you're a member of another or several forums because they all work differently and all have different rules, mods, etc. I've noticed here that we get a lot more people from all over the place and since English isn't always the first language, it can be hard to get an idea or a point across without confusing or in a more severe case, upsetting someone. There have been times where I thought I was on-topic and it turns out, not so much :doh:

I've had members point things out to me quite a few times. At first, of course my first reaction was like whoa, this forum is strict. But all in all, everyone's just trying to help out and keep the forum a happy and harmonious place :hug:

And it doesn't hurt we've got some kick-butt mods around here either ;)The reason members point things out if they see spam is not because they want to annoy people, but because they've found that our rules make for a great place to chat, you don't have to scroll through pages of posts that are spam to get to something meaningful.

If you are struggling to get a point across in your second language everyone can understand that, but it's mostly the short one liners that don't add to the discussion that are frowned upon.

Glad you like posting here :)

HisMRS
14-10-10, 10:15 PM

And it doesn't hurt we've got some kick-butt mods around here either ;)

Very well said; I feel the same way. :) I actually first joined this forum back in early 2009 and when I felt that someone "jumped me" over a broken rule, I left and didn't come back for a while. But I decided to give the place another chance and I'm glad I did.
I love this forum. At first I felt like there wasn't much to talk about, since there aren't a whole lot of threads in each forum, but I realized it's just because of certain threads like the neverending discussion thread and that helps keeping the forum from getting "junked up" by a whole bunch of threads about the same things.
And yes, the moderating team is great. They do their job well here! :D

Nick
15-10-10, 06:19 AM
A post was made and I had nothing to add to it, because it would have been completely redundant to. I simply said I was in complete agreement with what I thought was a very well-thought out post that literally took the thoughts out of my head, and added to the poster`s reputation. Little did I know that`s called spam around here, because I didn`t elaborate on it.
I co-administrate a forum myself and what I consider to be spam is the usual definition of spambots and occasionally real people registering just to post garbage offers for pills and real estate. People have conversations and unless someone`s being a jerk about something it`s pretty much left well enough alone.

On one hand it`s extraordinarily minor, and on the other, suddenly you`re being told that what you said wasn`t good enough. Needless to say, I felt exactly the same way HisMRS did and just backed off for a while as well, reading posts here but not saying anything.

HisMRS
16-10-10, 06:12 AM
A post was made and I had nothing to add to it, because it would have been completely redundant to. I simply said I was in complete agreement with what I thought was a very well-thought out post that literally took the thoughts out of my head, and added to the poster`s reputation. Little did I know that`s called spam around here, because I didn`t elaborate on it.
I co-administrate a forum myself and what I consider to be spam is the usual definition of spambots and occasionally real people registering just to post garbage offers for pills and real estate. People have conversations and unless someone`s being a jerk about something it`s pretty much left well enough alone.

On one hand it`s extraordinarily minor, and on the other, suddenly you`re being told that what you said wasn`t good enough. Needless to say, I felt exactly the same way HisMRS did and just backed off for a while as well, reading posts here but not saying anything.

I definitely see your point... When I first joined here and kept getting "in trouble" for not posting by the rules, I got really offended and stopped posting for a while. I own a couple of different forums and my definitions of spam are pretty much what yours are, but I had to remind myself that not everyone runs their forums the same ways I do mine, and I'm "playing on someone else's turf" here, so I needed to learn the rules and follow them. Now that I've done that, I like it a lot better here and want to stick around.

Jenni Lou
16-10-10, 07:22 AM
We understand it takes some getting used to. :) You also have to keep in mind that many of us go back several years, some even back to 2002! We've had a long time to figure out how we like to maintain the forum and this system simply works best. There's nothing worse than visiting a forum and seeing post after post of irrelevant comments. There's places for chat and places for discussion. If potential members cruise in here and see a bunch of friends just spamming it up in any ol' thread, it's intimidating. People browse new forums to get a sense of the conversation and activity. They don't want to feel like they can't break into some elitist community. By eliminating one-liners and off topic chatter, the threads have a fluid readability. I hate wading through three pages of spammy chatter to get to the real conversation. A lot of forums operate that way. But us? We prefer substance. And there's plenty of spots folks can chat freely on this board. That's why we insist on keeping it out of the topical threads. :)