PDA

View Full Version : "I am a man, and I have a tool" -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Xander Club

KingofCretins
24-09-07, 11:54 PM
I want to found PET-X because the guy just doesn't get the love he should. So, come here and talk about the one who sees, the guy who holds the center together, the hero without superpowers, and the man who is not the buttmonkey!

To get it started, how about one of the times Xander saved the world.

XANDER: Hey, black-eyed girl. Whatcha doin'?
WILLOW: Get out of here.
XANDER: Ah, no. You're not the only one with powers, you know. You may be a hopped-up uber-witch, but ... this carpenter can dry-wall you into the next century.
WILLOW: I'm not joking, Xander. Get out of my way. Now.

WILLOW: You can't stop this.
XANDER: Yeah, I get that. It's just, where else am I gonna go? You've been my best friend my whole life. World gonna end ... where else would I want to be?
WILLOW: (scornfully) Is this the master plan? You're going to stop me by telling me you love me?
XANDER: Well, I was going to walk you off a cliff and hand you an anvil, but ... it seemed kinda cartoony.
WILLOW: Still making jokes.
XANDER: I'm not joking. I know you're in pain. I can't imagine the pain you're in. And I know you're about to do something apocalyptically (glancing back at the statue) evil and stupid, and hey. (spreading out his arms) I still want to hang. You're Willow.
WILLOW: (angry) Don't call me that.
XANDER: First day of kindergarten. You cried because you broke the yellow crayon, and you were too afraid to tell anyone. You've come pretty far, ending the world, not a terrific notion. But the thing is? Yeah. I love you. I loved crayon-breaky Willow and I love ... scary veiny Willow. So if I'm going out, it's here. If you wanna kill the world? Well, then start with me. I've earned that.
WILLOW: (upset) You think I won't?
XANDER: It doesn't matter. I'll still love you.
WILLOW: (angry) Shut up.

KingofCretins
Sosa Lola
redrevo
vampmogs
EndersWrath
June
spuffylove147
selenspuffy
Nostalgia
The Ginatron
basakbangel
Retrograde
BuffyForever86

Sosa lola
25-09-07, 12:30 AM
Sign me in. I love Xander. "DUH!" everyone who knows me inside and outside the Buffyverse screamed.

Sometimes I feel bad for the character, Xander has so much layers and issues and the writers just dropped them because of his lack of superpowers, it sucks that all they focused on was Xander's lack of superpowers and dropped all his other issues. Then Joss has the nerve to say, there was nothing more to add to Xander's character... thankfully, he seemed to change his mine, looking at S8.

Wolfie Gilmore
25-09-07, 12:35 AM
I don't love him without reservations...but season 8's given me a new interest in Xander. Can I come in here even if I don't love love him, but enjoy him? Seeing him as a gentle uncle figure to the new slayers, but also rather a hottie, and yet still geeky and rather fulll of shame (naked sweaty shame) and blushes. Now that many more characters have superpowers than don't, he's becoming rather a rarity in the Buffyverse (not that he wasn't moderately surrounded by the supertypes previously).

KingofCretins
25-09-07, 12:39 AM
Anyone's welcome to participate -- as long as you aren't a hater, you can join, too.

I am loving the resurgence of Xander's relevance in Season 8. In a year and a half, he's finally become the man that he clearly was becoming back in Season 2 and into Season 3 before he got put off to the side by the writers.

Wolfie Gilmore
25-09-07, 12:43 AM
Anyone's welcome to participate -- as long as you aren't a hater, you can join, too.

I am loving the resurgence of Xander's relevance in Season 8. In a year and a half, he's finally become the man that he clearly was becoming back in Season 2 and into Season 3 before he got put off to the side by the writers.

He's really grown a lot. He's lost some of the anger and bitterness/self loathing that he'd stored up through season 6 - and also the self-deceptions of his relationship with Anya (imo he always held himself back from her a little and didn't quite take her seriously....so I didn't believe him back in season 4 when he said he was "powerfully, painfully in love" with her). He seems to have found a way to accept himself, and his role in the world. I suppose one part of this is, with all these young 'uns around, he's getting to be the grown up, and realising he's not at all bad at it. He may still feel like a silly little boy sometimes (eg the naked sweaty shame moment) but he's also able to support the slayers and offer them guidance in a way that shows he's got more faith in himself and his ability to help.

redrevo
25-09-07, 12:58 AM
Sign me up please.

What I love about Xander is that he's so subtle, and so understated, that it's at first surprising when he does something in-your-face. Think about it - His parents were such a negative example for him that he left Anya, and everyone was surprised, but we've seen little hints about that throughout the show, the dream in Restless being the most prominent. He may appear to be the shallow comic relief, but he's got about a billion layers and a fierce love for all his friends. The Xan-man is a true backstage player and I salute his character for that.

Favorite Xander moment? No doubt Grave. The man won't just fall down, he gets up, and he gets up. Plus, the way his voice cracks on "If I'm going out, it's ->here." is really heartbreaking.

KingofCretins
25-09-07, 01:09 AM
What I love from that scene is actually his insistence, his *indignation* -- Willow owes it to him to take him out first if she's taking out the world. They've been that close for so long. I think framing it that way was the first step in getting through to her.

vampmogs
25-09-07, 07:56 AM
Sign me up :D

I think Xander is a favourite character, at times he pissed me off but more often than not I loved his character and what character hasn't pissed you off at one time or another?

Xander was extremely important to the Scoobies and I must admit I'm a little tired of people saying otherwise when 'The Zeppo,' 'Grave' and the last five eps of season seven acknowledged this misconception of him and proved it was dead wrong. Season eight is Xander in his prime, it is showing his character off for the potential it has and I think it is fantastic.

I think it takes a great deal of maturity for people to look at Xander's character and see his worth, you have to look past the super power thing and really ask yourself what is important here. I especially love how Buffy states he is the reason she made it this far and she trusts him with her life.

Sosa lola
25-09-07, 02:13 PM
I hate when I read that it's impossible for Xander to be in the position he is in S8. I mean, really, the guy was able to be the boss of a construction sight in 2 years. He had his own crew at the age of 21, that's really awesome.

KingofCretins
25-09-07, 02:47 PM
Owned his own business less than 4 years out of high school... I thought that was part of the definition of success and professional competence. He's a natural fit to be the apparent administrative head of Buffy's organization -- he's a motivator, he's an organizer, he's a successful manager. He's the one Buffy turned to in Season 3 to plan their offensive against the Mayor.

vampmogs
26-09-07, 08:17 AM
And after season seven really a natural progression for his character, on a smaller scale he already had the role. We saw in 'Dirty Girls' Xander giving the potentials lessons, boosting moral and faith in their commander, was well respected by his peers given the welcome home in 'Empty Places' and commands then in 'Chosen' upon entering the school.

Now with the happy balance Buffy has found with her leadership thus far, the smartest thing she has done of late is giving all the scoobies, most evidently Xander, leadership roles as well rather than trying to do everything herself. I always had thought that instead of putting Faith in charge in 'Empty Places' Buffy should have been given a break and have Xander, Willow and Giles lead instead. They were quite capable and I doubt Buffy would have left the house if this had been the case.

Xander has earned it, and it feels very organic to me to have him in this role.

EndersWrath
27-09-07, 03:49 AM
Nothing can defeat the penis! Or the Xander! :D Sign me up!

I think Xander is probably one of, if not my top favorite character(s). I love that he can do all that he does, yet he is the one member without and single ounce of magics around him. Xander Harris. My Hero since 1997.

Sign me in. I love Xander. "DUH!" everyone who knows me inside and outside the Buffyverse screamed.

Sometimes I feel bad for the character, Xander has so much layers and issues and the writers just dropped them because of his lack of superpowers, it sucks that all they focused on was Xander's lack of superpowers and dropped all his other issues. Then Joss has the nerve to say, there was nothing more to add to Xander's character... thankfully, he seemed to change his mine, looking at S8.
You love Xander? :s When did this happen?! ;) I kid.

Haters may not be able to join, but I would love for them to come in a try to knock down Xander, he is one of my all time favorite characters to defend :D

I hate when I read that it's impossible for Xander to be in the position he is in S8. I mean, really, the guy was able to be the boss of a construction sight in 2 years. He had his own crew at the age of 21, that's really awesome.
I don't think I could have seen Season 8 where it is without Xander being in that role. He was created for that role... well not really, but he fits in it so so well. And the kid needs a bit of an ego boost every now and then, and I think this is the perfect job for that.

Owned his own business less than 4 years out of high school... I thought that was part of the definition of success and professional competence. He's a natural fit to be the apparent administrative head of Buffy's organization -- he's a motivator, he's an organizer, he's a successful manager. He's the one Buffy turned to in Season 3 to plan their offensive against the Mayor.
These are all extremely valid point as to why Xander should have and did get the role he did in Season 8. Its about time that stuff is focused on him, he has gotten the boot too many times from the writers, but now that Joss is at the wheel again, I think we're gonna see quite a bit more of him.

*squee*

KingofCretins
27-09-07, 04:13 AM
Nothing can defeat the penis!

This was almost the title quote of the club :)

Your banner is awesome... Xander and Faith look cozy :) If you're promising some Xander/Faith content there, I will give the VS a look. That's one of my favorite Xander 'ships.

Speaking of Xander 'ships... I don't think there is anyone in here who wouldn't dig Buffy/Xander on some level, but what else works for you?

Are you Xander/Anya fans?

Wish Xander/Faith had gone further?

Still wonder about Xander/Willow?

In that school of thought that supported Xander/Dawn, even?

Share your thoughts on who is worthy for Xander to wear on his arm :)

vampmogs
27-09-07, 09:53 AM
Quite frankly there wasn't a Xander ship I didn't like, other than Dawn because I would feel a little weird about that. Xander and Faith were great and I would have really liked it if the writers had bothered to explore it more in season seven, the two didn't even share a scene together really.

Bander is another one of my favourites, anyone who states there wasn't signs it could happen throughout the series musn't have watched very hard! Espenson states that in 'I was made to love you' the scene between Buffy and Xander was done on purpose to keep Bander hope alive. I'm very much enjoying whatever it is Buffy and Xander are doing right now, is it just a friendship, is there something else there developing? I'm really not sure but whatever it is I'm loving it.

Willow/Xander- well it appears that Joss will not be returning her to boy's town anytime soon and if that did happen, with the planned arrival of Oz in season eight, it would be him if anyone. Xander and Willow were great in their little fling in a cute way, though I wish they hadn't been so selfish and cheated on Cordy and Oz. I like them better as old friends though.

Xander and Cordy were great. I loved the way they played off eachother and love towards the end of their relationship when Xander becomes locker material, or when Cordy tells Buffy that she loves Xander and that he kind of grew on her. It was a bitter sweet episode in 'Lover's Walk' because on the one hand we have that great moment when Xander sees the picture of him in her locker, only to have their relationship ruined when Cordy and Oz see Xander and Willow macking on eachother. It was really a pity, I almost wished their relationship had never ended. Though one of the best moments between them was after their relationship had ended when Xander buys Cordy the dress.

Xander and Anya were also really great for eachother. I do think they really loved eachother but in some ways I have to question the relationship or at the least the foundations of it, how Anya didn't deny she clung onto Xander. However, it ended great, too bad Anya had to die! But the relationship ended in a good place for them, they didn't need to be married or even boyfriend and girlfriend to be together, it was odd but very nice to see.

Wolfie Gilmore
27-09-07, 11:32 AM
Speaking of Xander 'ships... I don't think there is anyone in here who wouldn't dig Buffy/Xander on some level, but what else works for you?

Are you Xander/Anya fans?

Noooo! I think he wasn't very nice to her, frankly. She didn't bring out the best in him, and I don't think he really and truly loved her...or at least, he couldn't allow himself to really let go and respect and trust her so...

Wish Xander/Faith had gone further?

I'd be v interested to see a Xander/Faith season 8 ship. Think it's unlikely, but I think now's the time they'd be ready, if ever. Mind you, I think i'd be more interested to see them as friends, with Xander showing her that not all men are after THAT...though maybe there could be a bit of THAT in the end all the same ;)

Still wonder about Xander/Willow?

Nah.

In that school of thought that supported Xander/Dawn, even?

Share your thoughts on who is worthy for Xander to wear on his arm :)

I loved Xander/Cordy - so much snipey fun - and I think she was actually rather harsh on him over the Willow thing....dude thought he was going to die! Special circumstances!

In terms of long term prospects...I think Xander/Buffy could work. Not yet, but in the future perhaps? All in all though, I don't think I've seen Xander in a relationship that I'd want him in in the long term. But that's probably because he was only about 21/22 when he broke up with Anya, so it's not surprising he's not met his match.

I'd like to see Xander with someone completely new in season 8 - a "civilian", if he ever gets the chance to meet any. Again, think that's unlikely...but there's always fanfic ;)

Sosa lola
27-09-07, 06:21 PM
Xander/Spike? :D

Xander/Anya: I thought it was a nice ship, however, it grew more interesting after Hell's Bells. I couldn't wait to see Xander and Anya in a scene together after they broke up, man, they were just awesome. Before it was all "I washed Xander's penis with Lush products." "Anya!!!!" "What? It's true." "You shouldn't say those things *glance at his giggling, uncomfortable friends* especially not with Spike around!!!"

Xander/Cordelia was the opposite for me, loved them when they were together much more than when they broke up.

Xander/Willow. It was my first BtVS ship. Now I'm not interested at all in it.

Xander/Buffy. It was my least favorite ship. Now It's all I think about. :heart:

Xander/Faith. That's probably the most interesting Xander/female ship. Plus HOT.

Xander/Dawn. After Chosen, it's my favorite ship after Buffy/Xander.

Xander/Snyder.... well, one of their fics was actually very well written and interesting.

Moscow Watcher
27-09-07, 06:27 PM

Sosa Lola, I think Xander's professional achievements in construction may be (at least, partly) due to the fact that he was in Buffy's team. He was much wiser than other boys in his age.

When I watched earlier seasons I hoped that eventually he'll become a writer and a chronicler of Buffy's journey. Xander was often making references to modern culture and I hoped that he'd end up a "storyteller" - but Joss decided to use Andrew in this role.
________
Public Train (http://www.****tube.com/categories/944/train/videos/1)

KingofCretins
27-09-07, 08:11 PM
I don't 'ship the male slash, so I'm not qualified to judge... the only one that actually tracks academically for me is Spike/Angel.

For Xander, I've always ranked them...

1. Buffy/Xander -- it was, arguably, the first possible 'ship in the Buffyverse, after all. "Can I have you?"

2. Xander/Faith -- we should start a club; this one is *canon*, they slept together. Yet another unfortunate example of writers not caring enough for Xander to let him have his own plotline, he could, maybe should, have played the role for Faith in Season 7 that Wood did.

3. Xander/Willow -- you know, regardless of Willow's sexual orientation, this would never be a tough sell to the audience. And, it's *canon*! Multiple episodes of smooching = canon 'ship!

4. Xander/Cordy -- I think they had a good influence on each other, and nobody could do cobra and mongoose like they could. They still need to acknowledge some reaction by the him and the other Scoobies to Cordy's death.

5. Xander/Anya -- I disagree that he was bad to her. I really don't know what a better approach to Anya would have been in a relationship.

6. Xander/Dawn -- Now that we're in Season 8, I could buy it, and they are a lot a like. I think they'd both be too self-conscious about their friends to pursue it. Plus, no offense to Dawn, it would always feel like Xander fell short of his mark.

June
27-09-07, 09:20 PM
Sign me up please. :)

ykickamoocow
27-09-07, 11:21 PM
2. Xander/Faith -- we should start a club; this one is *canon*, they slept together. Yet another unfortunate example of writers not caring enough for Xander to let him have his own plotline, he could, maybe should, have played the role for Faith in Season 7 that Wood did.

Wood was a completely unnecessary character in my opinion. I mean he didnt really add anything to the story which couldnt have been added with one of the already extablished characters.

Sosa lola
28-09-07, 04:52 AM
Sosa Lola, I think Xander's professional achievements in construction may be (at least, partly) due to the fact that he was in Buffy's team. He was much wiser than other boys in his age.

If wisdom was the reason he could be a construction worker, then he could completely achieve leadership. Isn't wisdom what all leaders need? Xander's character was going toward that direction as vampmogs' said. He was already giving instructions and orders to the potentials in S7, more evidently Dirty Girls. It's not so hard to believe he could be in the position he is in S8.

sherrilina
28-09-07, 08:42 AM
Xander/Spike? :D

Heh, why am I not surprised you brought that one up? ;)

Well I'm not that big of a Xander fan, but he's okay--he has some nice humor and friendships, and I did like a number of his ships, including:

Xander/Willow: I was so rooting for this ship to happen, cheering when he almost kisses her in WSWB (damn vampire!), my heart breaking for Willow as Xander continued to ignore her...I love close-friend relationships (usually) like this--the moment you quote in Grave is a favorite, so beautiful! However I hated the way they brought them together in an affair which broke up X/C--why then?!

Xander/Cordy: I really enjoyed this one, they were so hot (spending all their time making out in closests and such, lol) and entertaining--I remember when I first learned of their relationship by reading the epp summary for BBB ("Wait....if Cordy broke up with him that means they were dating!") I was going "WTF?!" and feeling so bewildered and surprised! :lol: But then I was so sad when they broke up (though it allowed Cordy to move on to bigger and better ships like Cangel, lol! ;)), though I'm glad they parted on good terms. It's always bothered me that we never know if Xander knows of Cordy's fate, or see a reaction from him--b/c I think it would have saddened him to know of Cordy's death, especially right on the heel of Anya's.

Xander/Anya: My fave Xander ship, I just love them, how Anya goes from coming to Sunnydale to curse him to falling for him herself--it doesn't get better than her way of asking him to the prom, lol! ;) After Cordy it was nice to see someone else wanting Xander again, and I love how his feelings for her meanwhile develop as well--I was so sad when they didn't marry and when Anya died! :(

Xander/Angel(us): Pretty damn hot, that's all I'm saying! ;) I mean, you can cut the sexual tension b/t these two with a knife in that scene b/t them in the hospital in "Killed By Death," lol! :xd And Angelus then does grab Xander out of a window to have his way with him and tells him how close he feels to him in that moment! ;)

I didn't like X/F much, and while X/D is a little cute I guess, I prefer the relationship b/t Spike and Dawn (not as a romance, just the big bro/little sis they had going on). And I've not been won over by the B/X camp yet either, despite KoC's efforts thus far....:p

vampmogs
28-09-07, 09:13 AM
Wood was a completely unnecessary character in my opinion. I mean he didnt really add anything to the story which couldnt have been added with one of the already extablished characters.

I think his character and story at least had layers unlike most of s7. I connected with him over his pain for his mother and his understandable need for revenge, though after meow cat out of the bag, he became pretty much useless other than serve as a possible love interest for Faith, which judging by s8 didn't lead anywhere good. It just didn't feel deserving that his character is built up all season as having this secret, trying to kill Spike and then the secret being exposed only to have him end up being a possible love interest for someone, hardly a satisfying finish for his story. :(

Though I would have let Wood go if it meant Xander got more of a story in season seven. I think it could have been equally as interesting if under the First's control Spike had fed on and killed Xander's mother and see how Xander reacts and deals with that news.

What sold me the Willow/Xander ship was when she was crying in the toilets after realising Xander and Faith had, had sex. It was so moving and great.

Moscow Watcher
28-09-07, 10:51 AM
If wisdom was the reason he could be a construction worker, then he could completely achieve leadership. Isn't wisdom what all leaders need? He was already giving instructions and orders to the potentials in S7, more evidently Dirty Girls. It's not so hard to believe he could be in the position he is in S8.

I suppose part of Joss' message is that real-life experiences may leave scars but they also toughen people and make them more clever and responsible. Xander went through hell many times, and now he, a very young man, is fit to be a de-facto head of The Council.
________
Buy Extreme Q Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/extreme-q-vaporizer.html)

vampmogs
28-09-07, 11:42 AM
If wisdom was the reason he could be a construction worker, then he could completely achieve leadership. Isn't wisdom what all leaders need? Xander's character was going toward that direction as vampmogs' said. He was already giving instructions and orders to the potentials in S7, more evidently Dirty Girls. It's not so hard to believe he could be in the position he is in S8.

Completely agree. Given his experience over the seven years of being with Buffy, Xander reached a point where he was experienced and wise enough to teach others how to survive in that world. It makes perfect sense for Xander to be in the position he is in now, not only did he earn it but he deserves it as well and is the best person for the job.

I kind of love that it is a shock to the system for some Buffy fans, because the ones who don't believe he can handle or deserves his position are usually the ones who underestimated him the most. Perhaps this is the kick in the pants they needed :p

KingofCretins
28-09-07, 02:11 PM
Willow sobbing over Xander and Faith was beautiful and poignant, especially since they took the time for it without it actually being plot relevant. And she figured it out first :(

Xander and Cordy were at their hottest, to me, in "Dead Man's Party". Or maybe that's my own issue -- Charisma Carpenter lazily kissing my neck while I'm having a side conversation. They were a great couple, though.

vampmogs
28-09-07, 02:23 PM
Willow sobbing over Xander and Faith was beautiful and poignant, especially since they took the time for it without it actually being plot relevant. And she figured it out first :(

I'd never really known what to think about that scene, in terms of what the writers were thinking when writing it. Was it supposed to show that Willow was still in love with Xander? Was it to show Willow being incredibly upset that Faith had stole something else from her ("I have an issue with Faith sharing my people") or was it just Willow crying because it was the final part of letting Xander go?

My best guess was that it was just something that happens between friends, especially ones you've had a crush on. After their affair Willow explained how she didn't know what she wanted until she had nothing, she realised she wanted Oz. Then later in the season we get this scene which kind of backpeddles on what Willow wants, IMO it was more Willow crying because she doesn't want to be with Xander anymore but doesn't like the idea of anyone else, especially Faith, being with him or getting him first.

Moscow Watcher
28-09-07, 02:31 PM
Xander and Cordy were at their hottest, to me, in "Dead Man's Party". Or maybe that's my own issue -- Charisma Carpenter lazily kissing my neck while I'm having a side conversation. They were a great couple, though.
Xander and Cordy were a great couple. Their snarks added to their hotness. I particularly adored the moment when Xander bought Cordy's dress for the prom. It was sweet and poignant.
________
Honda SH150i (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_SH150i)

vampmogs
28-09-07, 04:46 PM
So I thought what would be interesting is if people list their favourite Xander moment and least favourite Xander moment.

I can't personally boil it down to just one favourite moment for Xander so I'll give it two.

The first being a pretty obvious choice, his speech to Willow in 'Grave.' That whole, no supernatural force can stop her thing, but friendship and love can. Xander has an amazing connection with both Buffy and Willow. He is always there to talk to Buffy, always loyal and by her side and the reason she made it as far as she did. And he is the person who Willow probably cares about the most, the person who knows her unlike anyone else and has known her the longest. This scene showed Xander's worth, showed everyone you don't need super powers to save the world and showed how deep the connection was with Xander and Willow.

Another favourite scene of mine is his speech to Dawn in 'Potential.' For Xander to finally admit how he feels rather than what he feels being dictated to him in 'The Zeppo' was an amazing thing. And yet, instead of turning this problem he has had into a self-pitying speech he uses it to make Dawn feel extroadinary and worthy and the kiss on the forehead is a beautiful moment. The man who sees everything :D

Other scenes worth mentioning include his speech to Buffy about Riley in 'Into the Woods,' buying Cordy her dress in 'The Prom' and his speech to the potentials about Buffy in 'Dirty Girls.'

My least favourite Xander scene is in 'Revelations' when Buffy and Willow return to the library to find Giles being carted away to the hospital after Post smacked him over the head. Upon discovering Giles Xander tells Faith that it wasn't Angel's style to do this to Giles, evidently he doesn't believe Angel did this. However, in order to basically stick it to Buffy he tells her "I guess your boyfriend isn't as cured as you think" which was just unnescessary and mean. Then again, I find the whole episode bad for Xander because I think he was pretty much being an ass and ignoring some logical facts.

Some funny scenes worth mentioning... "What a bitca?", leaping out and screaming when the skeleton comes out the closet in 'Fear Itself' and Anya's "yes we've enjoyed spanking" which caused Xander's deck of cards to explode from his hands :roll:

KingofCretins
28-09-07, 11:54 PM
I think my favorite Xander moment is actually from "Innocence". It's hard to say exactly why it's so awesome, it's even harder to explain exactly what *happened*, but when Angel(us) sent him off to the library to get the others, Xander's spider sense tingled, and he turned back. That shot of him turning around, realizing the wrongness to what had happened, and going back for Willow is my favorite. Plus, I love his facial expression when he says that his thought has turned into a plan, right before that.

He did put the screws to Buffy a bit in "Revelations", but it's not clear he's completely convinced Angel's innocent at that point -- all he told Faith was that "bite marks would be nice". He just knew there was more going on than *just* an Angel problem. But, it was still pretty crass. No, my least favorite moment for Xander is going to have to be him asking Willow out as a back-up plan in "Prophecy Girl".

Sosa lola
29-09-07, 01:57 PM
My favorite Xander moment... hmmm they're so many. I just love his speech to Dawn in Potential. Not only it had Xander being there for someone else, but this time he spoke about himself and how much it hurt being the least important member. I see acceptance in his speech about his part, but still, it was apparent that he was a little bitter about it.

My least favorite Xander moment was in Revelation. The way he spoke to Buffy, not in the Scooby meeting but later when they found an injured Giles. He knew Angel had nothing to do with it, he actually tried to stop Faith from going after Angel, but when Buffy asked what happened he implied that it might be Angel. I hated the way he said it and the words he said. He was too angry at Buffy it blinded all his senses.

spuffylove147
02-10-07, 08:34 AM
My favorite Xander moment... hmmm they're so many. I just love his speech to Dawn in Potential. Not only it had Xander being there for someone else, but this time he spoke about himself and how much it hurt being the least important member. I see acceptance in his speech about his part, but still, it was apparent that he was a little bitter about it.

My least favorite Xander moment was in Revelation. The way he spoke to Buffy, not in the Scooby meeting but later when they found an injured Giles. He knew Angel had nothing to do with it, he actually tried to stop Faith from going after Angel, but when Buffy asked what happened he implied that it might be Angel. I hated the way he said it and the words he said. He was too angry at Buffy it blinded all his senses.

Sign me up my friends!

I completely agree with this. I think Xander can be and is often a giant ass when it comes to Angel, but I understand why. Everyone on the show is an ass**** at some point or another, as in life and we all have our reasons.

The thing about Xander speeches is that they're always so beautiful they make me cry. That's why he's one of the best characters. He's wise and when he emparts wisdom it's so moving.

The Dawn speech in Potential is so beautiful about not just giving the underdog credit, but loving them for exactly what they are, not what they're not.

The Yellow Crayon speech we all know and love as well. I agree with what someone said a few posts up, he clearly felt that she owed it to him to kill him first but he also knew for the same reason that he was the only one who could do what he did.

His speech to Anya in Into the Woods is breathtaking. You always wonder about those two, especially from his end, and this was just beautiful. We all want someone to say something like that to us.

The speech about Buffy in season 7 in I think it was Dirty Girls was also beautiful. You didn't really know where he stood and not only did he give the girls hope he made Buffy more sure of herself with it.

Well that's my Xander schpeel. I:heart: xander

June
02-10-07, 06:00 PM
My favorite would definitely have to be when he saved the world.

My least favorite would have been when he told Buffy to "kick his butt", but he told him what she needed to hear. So, my least favorite would also have to be when he asked Willow out as a back-up.

selenspuffy
30-10-07, 05:37 PM
Sign me up too, please!:)

Xander, favourite monent, hmm..I have a plenty of scenes:

-In The Pack, the way he acted out, was soo funny:D I enjoyed seeing Xander in a different way:)!

-Grave , the scene that we all know, in the end of the episode, the conversation between Xander&Willow, it's so dramatic and meaningfull!

- In All The Way

XANDER: (softly) I'm gonna marry that girl
BUFFY: What?! She's fifteen and my sister, so don't ev- (gets it) Oh.
XANDER: Hey, everybody. (stands up) Can I, um ... uh ... there's something Anya and I ... wanna tell you.

ANYA: (quietly) Now?
XANDER: Now. XANDER: We're getting married.
DAWN: (smiling) Oh my god.
TARA: Congratulations!

Xander saying "I'm gonna marry that girl", is so sweet:)

bishopcruz
01-12-07, 09:31 PM
Favorite Xander Moment:

Yeesh so damn many, but it might have to be in Killed By Death when he stands up to Angel and gets him to back down. WOW that took balls of mofo-ing steel.

Least favorite moment is probably the hair-pulling fight with Harm, oy, what was it about S4 that made them decide that he had to be a useless ninny? There were so many scenes in S4 that did it to, the time with the gun also comes to mind.

Nostalgia
01-12-07, 09:50 PM
Add me please!

I think my favorite Xander moment actually has to be in the end of "The Gift." Seeing Xander's face when looking down at Buffy.. it just makes me want to cry again! :cutecry: .. It's so beautifully done and completely in context for him.. considering we have never seen Xander cry, and I could tell the pain he was going through his realization of the entire scene. There's something about it.. and I don't know why but he hit me the hardest.

Some other awesome moments:

Fight- Xander vs Harmony (The Initiative)

The ending scene of grave (saving the world)

The Dawn/Xander scene in Potential

Xander/Buffy scene in (I Was Made To Love You)

Xander/Spike in Beneath You :roll: :roll:

Xander/Spike in Spiral

Xander/Willow in Empty Places

and probably the hardest I ever laughed at Buffy:

4.07 The Initiative
Xander: Every man faces this moment. Here. Now. Watching. Waiting

For an unseen enemy that has no face. Nerve endings screaming in silence.

Never knowing which thought might be your last.

Giles : Oh, shut up.

vampmogs
02-12-07, 02:31 AM
I think one of Xander's finest moments was his pep talk to Buffy in 'The Freshman.' He got through to and gets nowhere near the credit others have for doing exactly the same thing. I think Xander has to be one of the most unappreciated characters in the fandom sometimes, this being one of them. He was amazing in that episode and exactly what Buffy needed. And it wasn't all sentimental and mushy either which I liked.

Sosa lola
09-12-07, 03:20 PM
I've made a Xander video awhile back and I would really love if you guys gave me youe opinions on it. :)

The Young and Hopeless (http://youtube.com/watch?v=PnJ9TeaUDIw)

DoughnutHole
05-02-08, 01:14 AM
I'm plowing through the seaons again, and am on S3. But the quote that's sticking in my mind the most is when Xander says to Giles "You're not the Watcher of Me" . . . classic.

on a different level, Nicholas Brendon is the cast member that I'd love to meet in real life the most! Gotta have the Xander love.

sherrilina
05-02-08, 10:33 PM
Yeah, here are some new questions I'm curious about:

What aspect of Xander do you enjoy the most? Comic relief? Emotional support for the gang? Other?
In which seasons do you like Xander the most/least?
Which Xander-centered epp is your favorite?
In which seasons do you think Xander looks best?

KingofCretins
05-02-08, 11:08 PM
What aspect of Xander do you enjoy the most? Comic relief? Emotional support for the gang? Other?

The two things I like Xander most for are his role as the emotional center (his scene with Dawn in "Potential" is perfect), but also Xander as decisive actor. In a show full of strong women, he is proof that one can still be a strong man without diminishing or being diminished in the company of strong women. I like that Xander made a judgment call in "Becoming, Part II". I love that he stared down Angelus. I love that he took charge for that whole episode. I like that he tried to stop Warren in "Seeing Red".

There are so few male characters that are men of action without also being so many stereotypes of misogynistic, idiotic, or emotionally closed off. Xander is a role model.

None better than Season 2. After that, I'd say Season 7, then Season 5. I like him least in Season 4, which was the worst general buttmonkeying of the character.

Depends on what you're willing to call Xander-centered. Of the *very* obvious ones, I'd say "The Replacement". If I could make a bold proposition, I'd go with "Prophecy Girl". No, it's not centered on him as such, but his arc is clearly the B-plot of the episode (it's really a Buffy and Xander piece), with him starting off low, sinking a little lower, and then stepping up huge by going to Angel and then by saving Buffy.

I'm thinking Season 2 again, since it's hard to argue with his six pack. After that, Season 7, just because he's given much better wardrobe.

vampmogs
06-02-08, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the questions! :hug:

It's hard to say really. I know King has expressed annoyance at how he was the buttmonkey in season 4 but I always found Xander's comedic side very appealing, especially in s4 actually. But I'd choose his emotional support for the gang above all else. I actually think they compliment each other really well. What makes his emotional scenes so much more intriguing is that their glimpses of a different side of him we don't usually get to see, which makes them all the more special IMO. I loved his talk with Dawn in 'Potential' how he was the one to get through to Willow in 'Grave' and his pep talk with Buffy during 'The Freshman' was IMO right up there with Riley and Spike's motivational speeches in 'As You Were' and 'Touched.'

Hard to say really. I guess if I had to say I'd probably say I disliked Xander (although I'm not sure I could say it was ever 'dislike') during season six. That was the least fun to watch his character, he had it tough, it was pretty hard to watch. The only other season I had any real 'raised eyebrow' moments was probably some of s2 with his attitude towards Buffy and her relationship with Angel (mostly before Angelus.)

I'd actually have to say 'The Zeppo.' I found it more enjoyable than 'The Replacement' but both were pretty solid eps.

I'm going to say s3 or even s4, moreso s3. He was still buff back then, and didn't have his giant forehead haircut from s2. Anyone else think that made him look like he had really big ears and a really big forehead?:lol: And in s4 he was pretty buff too so I guess you could say he looked his best there, though I'd say s3 because his fashion sense was a hell of a lot better than s4!

The Ginatron
14-02-08, 05:16 PM
I'm so joining PETX! I'm a huge Xan Man fan!

Probably all of it really. I love his funny lines and strange sayings its really brightens up an episode! But I also love that he's sensitive but still all manly, and he has a great way with people (espically with emotional support side). Plus hes just lovely! lol.

I like Xander in all the seasons, but the earlier seasons i think hes the best 2 and 3 mostly.

hmmm the replacement i love him in.

The earlier seasons, when hes all floppy haired, but i think he looks great in them all!

Did anyone really want Willow and Xander to get togther properly? I'm still hoping for it now in the comics but i doubt it will happen. I just think they are perfect togther, eventhough Willow is gay. Im pretty much obssed with his relationship with Willow.

vampmogs
15-02-08, 07:28 AM
Did anyone really want Willow and Xander to get togther properly? I'm still hoping for it now in the comics but i doubt it will happen. I just think they are perfect togther, eventhough Willow is gay. Im pretty much obssed with his relationship with Willow.

I think we're more likely to get a Buffy/Xander pairing in the comics, which I'm happy about, but yeah I loved Willow/Xander too. I think they were great fun, pity it came at the expense of Oz and Cordelia's happiness. Both of them were wrong to cheat, but it was nice to see in an odd sort of way. Very cute.

BangelFan2202
15-02-08, 09:26 AM
Did anyone really want Willow and Xander to get togther properly?

I know I did and I still do, a part of me hopes that there is still a chance of them in the comics. I think they were adorable together :).

Trish

vampmogs
15-02-08, 11:45 AM
I know I did and I still do, a part of me hopes that there is still a chance of them in the comics. I think they were adorable together :).

Trish

I'm just hoping for some Xander/Willow interaction at all. IMO that's the only thing that's really been lacking from the Scooby side of things, I think they've had a total of two scenes together and didn't speak nearly enough.

The Ginatron
15-02-08, 09:33 PM
I agree about the comics being more Buffy/Xander but :( anyway lol! Eventhough the xan/buff thing is quite good too.

I just love Willow and Xander together, they are so sweet and they have stories, that whole charlie brown christmas thing! awwww adorable!

Yeah the cheating in series 3 was bad but at least i got some Xander/Willow moments, which always cheer me up when i see them. You can tell there's love there even if Joss decided it was just 'best friend' love. I can just pretend its real love, cos im sad lol.

BangelFan2202
16-02-08, 11:48 AM
I'm just hoping for some Xander/Willow interaction at all. IMO that's the only thing that's really been lacking from the Scooby side of things, I think they've had a total of two scenes together and didn't speak nearly enough.

Yup I agree and that they need more scenes together.

I just love Willow and Xander together, they are so sweet and they have stories, that whole charlie brown christmas thing! awwww adorable!

Ah yes the Charlie Brown Christmas thing, that was adorable and Willow mentioning that Xander does the Snoopy dance hehe.

Trish

basakbangel
18-02-08, 06:39 PM
Please sign me up.

I love Xander. And I hate when people says "oh, Xander is the useless guy because he doesn't have any powers like the other people in the scooby gang." I mean how could you say this when there are lots of things that He helped about and remember he saved Buffy and Willow.

vampmogs
19-02-08, 02:38 AM
Please sign me up.

I love Xander. And I hate when people says "oh, Xander is the useless guy because he doesn't have any powers like the other people in the scooby gang." I mean how could you say this when there are lots of things that He helped about and remember he saved Buffy and Willow.

It amazes me that people still say this after both 'The Zeppo' and 'The Replacement' which are designed specifically to demonstrate that Xander does not need powers to be either special or important. Not to mention the countless episodes that are not Xander centric that demonstrate him proving his worth.

It's as if they tuned into the first half of 'The Zeppo' listened to Cordy giving Xander crap about being useless, then turned it off before they saw the resolution at the end.

The Ginatron
06-03-08, 10:00 PM
Also Xander has saved peoples lives countless times, people always forget that.

Also hes had a pretty tough time with his parents being drunks and always fighting. He has to sleep in the garden on Christmas Eve to escape the fights.

nester
26-06-08, 11:42 PM
Holy snot!

Mr. Brian Lynch has shown interest in possibly writing a Xander Limited series

Is there going to be a XANDER spin-off series? Because I could totally do that.

If Xander's the lead, he'd have to be taken seriously, no? It would be from his point of view, for one.

I love Xander.

I've read enough well written Xander centered fanfiction to know that great stories can be told with the character. I'd love to read a Lynch penned Xander story, whether it be a one shot or an ongoing series.

What do you guys think?

Sosa lola
27-06-08, 09:56 AM
Brian Lynch is a great writer, it'll be amazing to read a Xander episode written by him. After all, his Faith character study is one of the best episodes of S8.

Retrograde
27-06-08, 12:51 PM
Ooh sign me up please!

I *love* Xander :) I like how is pretty much the character Joss wrote for himself.

As for ships, I love Anya, but can't stand Xander/Anya, as I think she drags him down. All he is defined by is 'being in a relationship', and I don't think he gets a chance to shine.

My favourite is probably either Xander/Willow or Xander/Cordelia. Of course, Willow and Xander have been friends their whole life, and there's just so much chemistry there. However I hated WHEN it happened, as I think Oz was pretty much the best thing to ever happen to Willow! Xander/Cordelia is lovely :) I like the progression they make, and also the effect it has on everyone around them.

I've also started warming to Xander/Buffy (having not read Season 8 yet even!) as I think he could be a bit of a Riley character towards her (except less of a prick), you know, someone to keep Buffy safe while the Slayer is in mortal danger every day. Someone to cater for her humanity and make her feel like she doesn't have to take care of everything.

Also, most of my favourite quotes are Xander! Of course, there is the legendary "Nothing can defeat the penis!" :D:D

but there are also smaller gems such as:

"To read makes our speaking English good."

"It's great! It's your best hair ever!"

"A bitca?"

"I'm going gay. I've decided I'm turning gay. Willow, gay me up. Come on, let's gay."

and my personal favourite...

"Principal Snyder! Great career fair, sir! Really! In fact, I’m so inspired by your leadership, I'm thinking Principal school. I wanna walk in your shoes. Not your actual shoes, of course, because you're a tiny person. Not tiny in the small sense, of course. Okay, I'm done now."

Skippcomet
27-06-08, 08:55 PM
Brian Lynch is a great writer, it'll be amazing to read a Xander episode written by him. After all, his Faith character study is one of the best episodes of S8.

Sosa, Brian Lynch didn't write "No Future for You." That was Bryan K. Vaughn (or Vaughan, however his name is spelled.)

What's interesting is that Lynch is the first writer I've ever seen express an interest in writing a Xander-centric series or spin-off, to say nothing that he'd do it "seriously." I can't help but suspect that if, say, Jane Espenson expressed a desire to write a Xander-centric issue or miniseries, she would write it primarily as a comedic story.

Nina
28-06-08, 12:34 AM
Well he said in his last podcast that Xander is one of his favourite characters;

"Who are your favourite characters in the Buffyverse?" That's tough, favourite characters in the Buffyverse... Always been Angel... always been Spike... definitely Xander... Wesley. I think that's it.

One of his favourite episodes is The Zeppo*, where Xander saves the day. I think that if somebody should write a Xander-centric story, he would be a great option. He seems to take Xander serious and he loves the character. Besides he does a great job with his other favourite characters until now, very IC and he captured their voices perfectly.

(*) I think that he talks about The Zeppo, the quote is;

I like the one that's centered on Xander, when they were still in high school, I think it was called -- was it called "The Shemp"? I like that one a lot.

vampmogs
28-06-08, 04:58 AM
Some new questions for the Xand-Man :D

Mostly season 8 related….

1) Given his recent tragic developments in season eight, have we seen the end of the funny Xander for a while or do you think he'll bounce back?

2) Can you see Xander betraying Buffy because of what has happened to Renee or not?

3) Has Xander become complacent in Buffy's shady morals this season? Given his attitude regarding the bank heist? And should we be worried about both Buffy AND Xander?

4) Who do you think Xander regards as his closer friend these days? Buffy or Willow?

KingofCretins
28-06-08, 06:39 AM
]1) Given his recent tragic developments in season eight, have we seen the end of the funny Xander for a while or do you think he'll bounce back?

Funny Xander, no, he's not gone. Punchline Xander probably is, though, and should be. His humor may be darker. I think he'll go in a similar direction as Wesley went in Season 4 of "Angel".

2) Can you see Xander betraying Buffy because of what has happened to Renee or not?

I think it would be pretty trite and, ultimately, poor writing to try. It wasn't Buffy's fault. If anything, Xander would blame himself for this. He blamed himself for *Tara getting shot and Willow going dark*. If anything in his personality would lead him to go against Buffy over this, it would literally be the first we saw of it. He didn't turn on her for deaths that really were her fault in Season 2.

3) Has Xander become complacent in Buffy's shady morals this season? Given his attitude regarding the bank heist? And should we be worried about both Buffy AND Xander?

Y'know, I don't think he is cavalier about that. I think he was just sort of mildly flirting with his friend, and trying to lighten her mood. Similar to Buffy's "plus - fire? pretty?" remark about burning her house down for the insurance money. But I worry about both of them, perhaps, because where she goes he goes, that's been true pretty much always.

4) Who do you think Xander regards as his closer friend these days? Buffy or Willow?[/B]

Willow is his oldest friend, but I tend to think he and Buffy are closer at this point. But, it is a closeness that's been tinged by some romantic undertones in Season 8, so I'm not sure what the man would be able to say if asked.

I wonder if after Season 6, after saving Willow on the bluff, if there was a sort of... burn out. That's not the right word, though. But I don't know what is. Catharsis? When Willow left for England with Giles, Xander stayed in Sunnydale and became a de facto family man with Buffy and Dawn. And I think that became, and continues to be, his core relationship. We just haven't gotten much straight Xander/Willow stuff since then, not nearly enough to reinforce the timelessness of their relationship. I can think of three things, period, since "Grave" -- him taking her to see Tara's grave, her staying with him in the hospital, and her relief to see him arrive in "Wolves at the Gate".

BuffyForever86
15-08-08, 04:29 AM
1) Given his recent tragic developments in season eight, have we seen the end of the funny Xander for a while or do you think he'll bounce back?

4) Who do you think Xander regards as his closer friend these days? Buffy or Willow?

Sign me up! Sign me up! Sign me up!

I love Xander, he's one of my favorite characters. He is basically the heart and soul of the Scoobies. Sure, he doesn't have the strength that Buffy or Willow possess, or the knowledge that Giles has, but it's Xander's heart that make the group whole. I seriously think he has helped Buffy get by by keeping her grounded for the most part, and being her best and most loyal friend. Same with Willow. Come on? Who else could have stopped her when she wanted to destroy the world? No one. I especially loved Xander in Seasons 2, 3, and 6. As far as ships, I love Xander/Cordelia (snarky brilliance), Xander/Anya, Xander/Buffy, Xander/Willow, and Xander/Spike. :D Some favorite Xander quotes:

"A bitca?"

"That doesn't make you special. That makes you extraordinary."

"That's it, I'm going gay! Willow, gay me up! Come on, let's gay!" :roll::roll: (If that really did happen, I'd be the first in line for a date with flowers, chocolate, and the latest "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" comic in tow! :kiss::roll:)

"In Kidergarten, you cried when you broke the yellow crayon. You've come a long way. Ending the world? Not a terrific notion, but yeah I love you. I love crayon-breaky Willow, and I love scary-veiny Willow." :cutecry:

1. Nah, I think funny Xander will bounce back, just give him time. Losing Renee can't have been easy, but he did lose Anya in "Chosen," and he was able to bounce back from that. I have hope for him.

2. Honestly, no. Buffy and Xander have known each other way too long for him to betray her. He's just isn't the type to betray his best friends.

3. I think we should be slightly worried about Xander and Buffy, as has already been stated, he goes where she goes. That's cause for a little concern.

4. I think Xander regards Buffy was his closer friend these days. Willow disappeared for a little while between "Chosen" and "The Long Way Home," and Xander became Buffy's watcher. They worked very closely together, and Xander seems a little closer to Buffy this season possibly because of this.

KingofCretins
08-09-08, 10:33 PM
Questions for the PET-X crowd!

Xander is the regular guy in the Buffyverse, and we're glad. But if he were to be superhuman in some way, what would you want it to be and why?

What do you think is the best/nicest/sweetest/most heroic thing Xander has ever done?

What do you think is the worst thing Xander has ever done?

What do you think of as the most "out of character" thing that has ever been written for Xander?

Who do you think of the other major characters, Xander has the worst relationship with? Do you think it should be addressed?

Who do you think the rumored/spoilered "hook-up" should be with in Season 8? Dawn, Willow, Buffy, Faith, Vi, some other character? (actual rumor/spoiler) Harmony? Should it be a short term or long term thing?

Nina
08-09-08, 10:48 PM
Xander is the regular guy in the Buffyverse, and we're glad. But if he were to be superhuman in some way, what would you want it to be and why?
I really don't want him to become superpowered character #20 ... but if I really had to choose, I want him to have something like visions. With all those slayers, there is more than enough power ... Xander should have something that can help the others.

What do you think is the best/nicest/sweetest/most heroic thing Xander has ever done?
I love his talk with Dawn in 'Potential'. Actually his whole friendship with Dawn, the others kind of leave her alone and Xander is there for her.

He should've stopped the wedding before Anya actually wore the dress. I don't hate Xander for not marrying Anya, but I blame him for running away this late.

What do you think of as the most "out of character" thing that has ever been written for Xander?
OMWF, Xander being the reason that Sweet was there and not feeling a little bit guilty for those people who died because of Sweet.

Who do you think of the other major characters, Xander has the worst relationship with? Do you think it should be addressed?
Xander/Giles, somehow I always had the feeling that Giles saw Xander as the idiot of the three. The one without powers, the one who didn't had the brains. It became better, but I think that their relation was never really close. I would like it when Giles would show more trust in Xander, but it's not the most important thing for now. Giles has too many issues.

Who do you think the rumored/spoilered hook-up" should be with in Season 8? Dawn, Willow, Buffy, Faith, Vi, some other character?
I'm no fan of best friends becoming lovers .. at least not on television because on tv it always feels like a pretty woman and a handsome guy can't be 'just' friends. In this case, Willow and Buffy are for me a no-go. Faith would be interesting, but I don't know ... not my first choice. I love the relation between Dawn and Xander. I'm not sure if it would work as a romantic relation ... but it's my first choice right now.

Harmony should never be a suggestion, the girl is not only a soulless vampire ... but also quite brainless.

XavierZane
08-09-08, 11:16 PM

Green Lantern Power Ring. The guy has a will of iron and is completely fearless, he'd be a perfect Lantern. He'd also be great with telepathy. He can reduce people to tears (in good ways and bad) with just his words as it is, if he had such a clear window into their mind he could probably take down anyone with just his mouth. And if he had to do it in other ways he'd know all their weaknesses and such.

best: His speech to Willow in Grave
nicest: His speech to Buffy in The Freshman
sweetest: His speech to Dawn in Potential
most heroic: This isn't quite the most heroic thing he's ever done, but it's indicative of his actions and character throughout the entire show - in the first episode, after being told to stay put because he couldn't do anything, when he followed Buffy to help her save Jesse and ended up saving Buffy's life.

Not be honest with Anya about his doubts and fears. I don't count leaving her at the alter as the worst thing because it would have been even worse if he'd gone through with it. But the entire situation could have been avoided with a little honesty.

Summoning Sweet. Wtf, mate?

Faith. They've barely spoken since she tried to kill him, and while I'm sure he's forgiven her it needs to be hashed out.

Who do you think the rumored/spoilered "hook-up" should be with in Season 8? Dawn, Willow, Buffy, Faith, Vi, some other character?

Faith. It would make sense, be interesting, be a nice way to resolve their hanging thread storyline.

I don't think it will be Dawn because I think she'll be non-human for the rest of the series. If it were somehow Dawn (and I do have a pet theory that could make it happen wherein her next transformation is into a succubus), that would mean that Xander has been involved with all of Buffy's foils/mirrors. Cordelia was meant to represent who Buffy was before she became the Slayer, Faith is of course representative of all the darker urges of Slayerdom that Buffy tried to deny, and Dawn is literally of Buffy.

I don't want it to be Buffy, because when I hear "hook-up" I think temporary, and I still hold out hope for Buffy and Xander being married with children in Season 9 or being the Happily Ever After at the end of it all. But, if that's not going to happen, then I would want the hook-up to be with Buffy just so that they could have that one time.

Where did you hear the idea of Harmony? Is that a serious rumor? Cause that's...odd.

vampmogs
09-09-08, 11:58 AM

Not sure on the exact super power but not something physical. They have enough muscle with the slayers Xander needs to be something different, like the visions as Nina suggested or something new entirely.

It's a tie between his pep talk to Buffy in 'The Freshman' "I always think, what would Buffy do, you're my hero..." or his talk to Dawn in 'Potential' "you're not special, you're extraordinary."

Being intentionally vague about the whole Angel thing to Faith in 'Revelations' and preparing to go along with her and have Angel murdered behind Buffy's back. I think it's Xander's worst episode in the whole series really.

Not saying anything about summoning Sweet and pretending not to know why people are burning up and dying.. so lame, so terribly OOC. Unless Xander's regressed in a major way, it doesn't make sense. He went to Giles in season two and told him about his love spell with Amy and let Giles yell at him over innocent people getting hurt.

I'd have probably said Angel or Spike? But there's not much to address there really, a lot of the time he had good reason not to like them. If anything though I'd want to see it addressed with Angel more so than Spike because I think there's many different levels as to why they have a bad relationship other than "you have no soul therefore I hate you" which, hey, valid.. but not as interesting.

Who do you think the rumored/spoilered "hook-up" should be with in Season 8? Dawn, Willow, Buffy, Faith, Vi, some other character? (actual rumor/spoiler) Harmony? Should it be a short term or long term thing?

I want to say Buffy but hook up does imply it won't last so I dunno... Dawn.. mm It's a hard one for me. If he hooks up with Dawn I'd say that'd be the final nail in the coffin for Buffy/Xander but if he hooks up with Buffy it probably won't go any further than that.. so what would I prefer? I honestly don't know.

Sosa lola
14-09-08, 12:54 PM

Maybe reading minds, like Lorne. Just not like Buffy in S3. People must do something so Xander can read their minds, like singing in Lorne's situation.

Hmmm... that's hard because there are too many. I guess Prophecy Girl, Buffy just rejected him and he still acted more heroically than Giles and Angel to save her. From heading to Angel's place, asking him to lead him to The Master and then bringing Buffy from the dead, to the small smile he shared with Angel. I really liked Xander in Prophecy Girl.

'Revelations'. Mostly how he tried to imply to Buffy that Angel was the one behind hurting Giles, even though he knew Angel wasn't. He just did it to guilt Buffy and it felt cheap and pathetic.

Like everybody else said. Once More With Feeling.

I'll say Angel. I mean Spike and Xander did come to an understanding in S7, but with Angel, they rarely got along.

Who do you think the rumored/spoilered "hook-up" should be with in Season 8? Dawn, Willow, Buffy, Faith, Vi, some other character?

I'd love a Xander/Faith relationship, they have so much to talk about, and sadly S7 didn't give us that. But I don't see them hooking up in S8, too many issues and problems going on. Maybe in S9.

Sosa lola
09-10-08, 04:34 PM
Hey, guys, sorry for the double post, but I just read a wonderful Xander-Giles friendship ficlet that I wanna rec:

Title: A Short Rest
Pairing: Giles/Xander friendship (with a bit of canonical Giles/Jenny)
Rating: FRC
Summary: Xander's convinced it's Hellmouthy, but probably it's just the flu.
Notes: For kivrin, on the occasion of her birthday, and for the gilesxander Octoberfest 2008. Thanks to Mr Pedia for story consultation.
Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I claim no ownership and am making no money.
Wordcount: 4600

Go read the fic!! (http://antennapedia.livejournal.com/382522.html)

Read the fic and let's discuss the Xander-Giles relationship on the show. It did hit major buttons to their relationship.

Bloody Billy
21-11-08, 10:18 AM
Sign me up!

Xander was the heart of the Scoobies.

The great metaphor of Xander fixing the house all the time in season 7 says it all. He held the house together. When Caleb thumbed his eye out it was the turning point. That was when it got real. If Xander falls so does the house.

Great moments:
Xander and Dawn in Potential. "Your not special, Your extraordinary."
Xander and Buffy in The Freshmen. "What would buffy do?"
Xander and Willow in you guessed it Grave. Need I say more.
Xander and Tara's brother "I swear by your full and manly beard you will break something trying"

I could go on for hours. Needless to say while Xander did not kick any ass, or take any names. It was clear that no one would have with out him there.

Renée_xoxo
05-01-09, 09:00 PM
Sign me up, I love him :)

Jack
02-08-09, 05:26 PM
I'm in the Xander club.

He should be the guy who see everything because [dramatic pause] No-ones watching him... oh wait. Maybe just give him really comfy shoulders cause he is the guy that's always there for them, no matter the cost.

Hmm it has to be either the speech to dawn, in potential I think that one is the best.

Nicest I'm not sure

Sweetest was the speech about Buffy to the potentials in Bad Girls

Heroic has to be that epic speech in Grave :)

I was thinking summon the dancing demon, but without that there would have been no OMWF. Maybe leaving Anya at the altar or him teasing Spike :(

Probably the episode where he borrows his uncles car and ends up running round as wheel man for a gang of zombies...

Faith or Giles, these are the two relationships which don't get much screentime at least to my memory in the later seasons. I think the Faith Xander schism is sorted out but I would like to see what happens between Giles and Xander esp after Giles used faith to go after Lady Genieve (Did i spell that right)

PointMan
03-08-09, 07:20 AM
Xander rocks He's definately been my favorite character since the start. Even when I haven't agreed with his actions I have understood them, because I relate to his character more then the others.

My favorite aspect of Xander is actually the one thats only ever hinted at, and that is that the joking face he puts on for his friends is more like a mask that he wears to hide the darker aspects of his life.

My favorite Xander moment would be a tie between his face off with Angel in PG and his faceoff with Angelus in KBD.

The saddest Xander moment for me was in BB when he learned that Buffy only loved him because of a spell. To use Xander's own words he looked like he just got diagnosed with "cancer of the puppy"

Sweetest Xander moment would probably be his speech to Dawn in "Potential"

Least favorite Xander moment I think would be him walking out on Anya in Helle's Belle's. I understand why he did it but it was definatley not a stand out moment for the Xan-man.

Favorite episode is a tough one. I know alot of people say The Zeppo but for me thats a bit of good and bad. I like that he got to save the day and all but I really wanted him to tell the gang off. With that being the case I'd probably have to say PG.

The most heroic I actually think was staring down Jack in The Zeppo. If he had failed no one would have ever even known what he did, which to me makes it more heroic.

Most OOC was probably OMWF.

I think off all the major characters it would probably be Giles. I'm not counting Angel or Spike, because I don't want to:) I really would have liked to see them develop a sort of father son relationship between the two, since he needed a good male role model as much as Buffy needed a stand in dad.

If I had to choose a power for Xander I'd pick something non-combat related but with possible combat applications, like maybe an ability to detect weaknesses in things that might translate to being able to read a weakness in his opponent. Just because he doesn't need to go around kicking as doesn't mean I don't want to see him more capable of doing it.

Sosa lola
23-10-09, 08:16 PM
S8 fics featuring Xander:

A Girl with a Purpose (http://community.livejournal.com/spring_with_xan/130079.html?view=1249055) by me :D

Xander Harris and the Dark Lord: An Excruciating Correspondence (http://community.livejournal.com/gen_storyteller/131226.html) by powerofthebook

Dead Letter (http://stormwreath.livejournal.com/45393.html) by stormwreath

Until He Returns (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/71876.html) by seductivembrace

Illusion's Secret by seductivembrace

Chapter One (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/48038.html#cutid2)
Chapter Two (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/48763.html#cutid2)
Chapter Three (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/49161.html#cutid2)
Chapter Four (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/49885.html#cutid2)
Chapter Five (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/86831.html#cutid2)
Chapter Six (http://seductivembrace.livejournal.com/95665.html#cutid2)

Don't Fall (http://erimthar.livejournal.com/725.html) by erimthar

Many Happy Returns (http://erimthar.livejournal.com/5711.html) by erimthar

Heartbent (http://angearia.livejournal.com/394.html) by Emmie

The Gap (http://snowpuppies.livejournal.com/235247.html) by snowpuppies

vampmogs
27-10-09, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the fanfic links Sosa! :hug: I've slowly been making my way through the list and I'm enjoying them a lot.

Just a quick question to Xander fans. I've been thinking a lot about Xander's relationships in s8 and how different they are to Xander/Cordelia and Xander/Anya. X/C and X/A both were very snarky and (at times) immature relationships where Xander and his girlfriend would fight a lot. I got the impression that he's attracted to woman who are assertive and dominant, which also explains his attraction to slayers and how "he likes that in a girl."

But in s8 both Xander/Renee and Xander/Dawn have a very different vibe going on. The relationships are far more "sweet" and Xander seems to be going for the less snarky-types these days. He’s still attracted to powerful women but am I wrong in thinking that it is a reflection of his growth and maturity? He doesn’t seem interested in sniping with people anymore and seeks out people who appear more compatible. Both Renee and Dawn are young women who Xander had many heart-to-hearts with before dating them which never happened with Cordy or Anya. Rather, those relationships blossomed out of convenience at a time in Xander's life when he was insecure and didn't fully understand his place. X/C came after teen lust and X/A developed after Anya's numerous advances. In s8 Xander is the initiator in both of his relationships, even if it took a little pushing from Buffy with Renee.

It could also explain why he doesn't appear to be interested in Buffy or notice her feelings for him. Xander wants as little drama in his life as possible, it's as if he's passed that now. It'd also explain why the one snarky "relationship" he has had was Xander/Dracula, which he grows out of pretty quickly as he moves past that faze of his life.

It was just a thought I had and wanted to know if anyone else shares the same or a different perspective on it? :o

Sosa lola
27-10-09, 01:46 PM
Interesting observations. I guess Xander does want a healthier relationship with women. I also think there are more differences as Xander had chosen to be with Renee and Dawn, still not sure about Dawn yet, but he was the one to ask Renee out. With Cordelia, it started on lust, and Anya had forced the relationship down his throat, he didn't seem to be interested in her.

ubi4soft
04-11-09, 05:02 AM
Hallowhedon - Nicholas Brendon talks Buffy/Xander & Losing an eye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WEYHycmF6I
"we talked about getting together and instead i lost an eye"

Doing the snoopy dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YMQUaTKUJE

Karaoke - Mandy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkL4bFuf10Q

vampmogs
04-11-09, 06:13 AM
Looks like Joss changed his mind! Maybe Sarah/Nick finally got to him :lol:

It makes me nervous for s8 in case Joss has changed his mind about other things as well.... *GULP*

kana
04-11-09, 10:25 AM
Ahh Hallowhedon. I miss it already, it was so cool and Nick was so great. It was me who asked him which season defined Xander. He said the nightmare one and we all thought he meant Season 1's Nightmares, but later I talked to him at the bar he actually meant Restless in Season 4.

He also didn't seem to be a huge fan of Dawn/Xander lol. I think he used the words paedophilia and incest lol.

vampmogs
04-11-09, 10:47 AM
Ahh Hallowhedon. I miss it already, it was so cool and Nick was so great. It was me who asked him which season defined Xander. He said the nightmare one and we all thought he meant Season 1's Nightmares, but later I talked to him at the bar he actually meant Restless in Season 4.

That's very cool! You must have had a lot of fun. I agree with him that Restless probably sums up Xander's character the best. Though I actually think Prophecy Girl is his best episode.

He also didn't seem to be a huge fan of Dawn/Xander lol. I think he used the words paedophilia and incest lol.

Oww! Poor Dawn :p I know there's some people on here who'd definitely agree with that! Personally I enjoy the couple but I think it’s Buffy/Xander we‘re most likely heading for. I’m sure that’s something he’d be more supportive of judging by his comments in the vid :)

Sosa lola
04-11-09, 12:41 PM
Aww, thank you so much for the vids! I loved the quote about getting together instead he lost an eye :lol:

I agree about Restless being the episode that defines Xander. I've always told writers asking me about how to write Xander in fic to watch it to understand him better.

Zathraas
12-11-09, 01:41 AM
Just a quick question to Xander fans. I've been thinking a lot about Xander's relationships in s8 and how different they are to Xander/Cordelia and Xander/Anya. X/C and X/A both were very snarky and (at times) immature relationships where Xander and his girlfriend would fight a lot. I got the impression that he's attracted to woman who are assertive and dominant, which also explains his attraction to slayers and how "he likes that in a girl."

If there's one thing I believe about Xander, it's that he's a settler. He always settles for what comes his way because he doesn't have much self esteem. I don't think he would have ever given the time of day to the likes of Cordy or Anya if he had gotten the girl he really wanted, Buffy.

It might even turn out that he's simply settling for Dawn. We'll have to wait and see how he reacts to finding out that Buffy is into him. I don't think he'll dump Dawn like a hot potato, but he might not be able to resist the temptation of his first love that he never got to be with. Or maybe his feelings for Buffy never really went away, who knows?

As for what Xander 'likes in a girl', well, we don't have a big enough sample size to determine that. Coupled with the 'settling' aspect, it's hard to say what he finds desirable in a girl. The only criteria that I'd put full stock in is the hottie factor. :D None of the girls Xander's dated have been anything less than gorgeous.

Moscow Watcher
18-11-09, 08:04 PM
I don't think he "settles" for Dawn because of low self-esteem. What I read in comics makes me believe that they make small tentative steps towards each other and try to figure out if they're really in love.

My guess is that Xander/Dawn ship is currently servicing the story about Buffy's next heartbreak. She always wants what she can't have; by becoming unattainable, Xander turns into an object of intense desire. :)

Sosa lola
19-11-09, 09:24 AM
I don't think he "settles" for Dawn because of low self-esteem. What I read in comics makes me believe that they make small tentative steps towards each other and try to figure out if they're really in love.

My guess is that Xander/Dawn ship is currently servicing the story about Buffy's next heartbreak. She always wants what she can't have; by becoming unattainable, Xander turns into an object of intense desire. :)

Buffy and Xander have that in common. He only became intrested in Willow when she was with Oz. :)

Merrick
23-02-10, 03:48 AM
Count me in, I love Xander, my favourite character from BtVS! In the last season I felt so bad when he didn´t shrine as he should, with the exception from "Potential" and "Grave", episodes that made me felt in love with him more... It´s strange in a show with so many powerful characters, the one I love most is the normal one (well, I love Illyria as well, but that is another show!)

Moscow Watcher
21-03-10, 05:37 PM
Interesting essay on Xander:

Masculinity and Tenderness, or Why I Find Xander Interesting by dipenates
http://dipenates.livejournal.com/22795.html

Moscow Watcher
13-04-10, 09:31 PM
This week LJ Community Phantasmagoria watches The Zeppo. I made a homage to Xander and Faith to celebrate the episode.

http://thumbnails24.imagebam.com/7631/f452ee76302848.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/f452ee76302848)

Buffyfest
28-05-10, 10:29 PM
Hello Xander fans! Just wanted to let you know we have an interview with Nicholas Brendon up on our site.

Check it out:
http://buffyfest.blogspot.com/2010/05/buffyfest-interviews-nicholas-brendon.html

Thanks,
Michelle
Buffyfest

verokek
29-05-10, 02:59 PM
U can definately sign me up as a Xander fan too!I really started to like him in time.He's really funny and he has his heart in the right place,wich he proved when he stopped Willow from destroying the world,or the way he told Dawn how special she was,even if she wasn't a potential slayer.The show and the scoobie gang just wouldn't be the same without him,he's really the heart of the gang :)
Ow,and I love the episode 'the zeppo' too,the way everyone wants to keep Xander out of the fight to keep him safe,when he eventually ends up saving the day!

xxx- veronique

Heroine X
29-05-10, 04:17 PM
Same here!! Sign me up please! How could I have missed this? Xander is a complete puzzle piece to the Scooby gang, and he knows how to do the right thing unlike most other people. He stopped Willow from destroying the world, and he convinced Buffy to go find Riley before it was too late, although it was.

Xander was the one saving the day in some occassions, and he even tries his hardest to save the day as well!