PDA

View Full Version : Is the spell and the Scythe the only ways to strip a Slayer of power?

Jim the Man
02-03-10, 12:01 PM
My girlfriend and I were talking about why can't the idiot Council strip Faith of her powers in Season 3? And why can't Willow cast the same spell in Season 7 to grant the potentials and Faith powers?

PointMan
02-03-10, 05:06 PM
My girlfriend and I were talking about why can't the idiot Council strip Faith of her powers in Season 3? And why can't Willow cast the same spell in Season 7 to grant the potentials and Faith powers?

The council didn't create the slayers, so they have no way to strip them of their powers. The most they can do is kill them. As far as the empowerment spell goes thats actually a good question. I've thought about this a bit and come to the conclusion that the power must have already been present in the potentials, it just wasn't activated. Currently in season 8 the slayers have no power because they gave it up. Maybe that power will come back in time, maybe it won't. If you think of a potential as an electronic device with a full charge, then the spell simply flicked the switch to turn them on. Right now though the device has no charge so flicking the switch would have no effect.

ubi4soft
02-03-10, 05:34 PM
The council didn't create the slayers, so they have no way to strip them of their powers. The most they can do is kill them.
Actually, in Helpless Giles stripped off Buffy of her strength and in Damage a regular psychiatric hospital kept Dana sedated/restrained until someone gave her the wrong medication.

PointMan
02-03-10, 05:59 PM
Actually, in Helpless Giles stripped off Buffy of her strength and in Damage a regular psychiatric hospital kept Dana sedated/restrained until someone gave her the wrong medication.

But the power was still there, it was simply suppressed. Perhaps the council thought it would be too much effort to keep Faith dosed regularly with the medication needed to suppress her powers.

KingofCretins
02-03-10, 06:40 PM
Suppression is all anyone has managed in the canon until Toru and his gang. We don't actually know if Twilight has any means of doing such a thing -- so far his intentions have tended to be more... conventional when it comes to removing the Slayers' powers.

For the record, Buffy's powers were reduced with "an organic compound... of muscle relaxants and adrenal suppressors". Dana was on thorazine, which is a monumentally potent anti-psychotic. Dana's powers were never suppressed as such -- her behavior was. While medicated, she was basically "any other" Slayer, she'd have probably had all her powers, but she'd have been so subdued mentally she would have had no occasion or interest in trying to use them. So only Buffy can be said to have had her powers suppressed chemically (well, and any other Slayer to have endured the torture of Cruciamentum).

Vampire in Rug
02-03-10, 07:17 PM
As far as we know, yes, using the scythe in conjunction with the big red lens is the only way to permanently de-power a Slayer. Aside from killing her of course. You can use drugs to suppress a Slayers power or Oz's technique to chanel the power into down into the earth (and into any underground hellgods).

I suppose in season 3 the council was either going to execute Faith, or permanently keep her sedated. I'm leaning towards the former, but you never know.

KingofCretins
02-03-10, 08:22 PM
As far as we know, yes, using the scythe in conjunction with the big red lens is the only way to permanently de-power a Slayer. Aside from killing her of course. You can use drugs to suppress a Slayers power or Oz's technique to chanel the power into down into the earth (and into any underground hellgods).

I suppose in season 3 the council was either going to execute Faith, or permanently keep her sedated. I'm leaning towards the former, but you never know.

They meant to kill Faith, it was pretty clear in "Sanctuary" and later in the "Angel" two-parter. Indeed, they got the kill order in "Sanctuary" because they couldn't get her (Buffy) out of the country. I suppose there's an outside chance they might have meant to bring her in, subject her to some kind of brainwashing or something, but pretty sure they just were going to kill her.

crazysoulless
03-03-10, 08:44 AM
In Who Are You, the fact that they were even going to take Faith (Buffy) out of the country makes me think they weren't going to kill her. Yes, by the AtS episode Sanctuary, I think they were going to kill her. They had failed twice to capture and contain her.

Though the Watcher's Council did a lot of good over the centuries and really wanted to destroy evil, their story has been about suppressing the power of the Slayer. Be that physical, emotional, psychological, or female power.